Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
Vile

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by Vile » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:53 pm

Ooh, yeah! I'd love to see a set of wallpapers consisting of 3-views of the more commonly-seen ships. :mrgreen:

My favourites would be the freighters.

hpackrat

Post by hpackrat » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:47 pm

Considering how well-armed & speedy the Scar is, does it even need a fighter?

Lokekar Kra

Post by Lokekar Kra » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:37 pm

Need a fighter, of course not. Could it use a fighter, the same as Niobe, it is a handy unexpected asset. In my opinion if engineering goes down in a catastrophic way on a spaceship the ship and crew are basically screwed. Like Hal said previously they did not have more than a few hours till they would all be dead regardless of where on the ship. Though the Niobe did sport a shuttle craft that we never saw used. That could double as a life boat. Perhaps that is what the hangar was originally intended for, a personal shuttlecraft/lifeboat for Mensk.
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost

Wandalstouring

Post by Wandalstouring » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:30 am

Is this really a pirate ship? Ships for piratical activity in the age of guns were often razed, fast low and with powerful guns. That's similar to your universe where boarding doesn't seem to be the decisive factor in space combat. But these pirate ships of the age of sail did have no small cargo area for their booty. Part of their trade was collecting lots of items they couldn't use themselves, but would try to sell. However, designing these ships who went around with a wide array of surplus goods too conspiciously as warships and not heavily armed traders would draw too much attention and wouldn't enhace profits because the crime was more difficult to cover up. Another problem demanding a big cargo bay was that in most cases they couldn't choose the cargo of their prizes. An alternative might be the ability to carry special cargo containers outside the hull, similar to the spaceship trucks in the Cowboy Bebop episode Heavy Metal Queen or just a train or a container ship. :ugeek:

Tempest8008

Post by Tempest8008 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:32 am

Interstellar bulk trade must still be prohibitively expensive.
I can never see a situation where it would be practical to boost grain or automobiles or heavy machinery into orbit and ship them between systems rather than growing or manufacturing what is needed locally. The only caveat to that is shipments to new colonies where the infrastructure doesn't exist yet to produce such items. But for that shipping to be cost effective you'd be looking at your bulk haulers...the tugs or container ships that would be moving HUGE volumes.

That leaves interstellar trade in the realm of luxury consumer goods, high tech electronics, and sensitive data that cannot be entrusted to encryption and broadcast. In other words things that are small and expensive. Consequently I'd have to say most ships like the Niobe and Scarborough are going to have limited cargo space, never intended for large volumes of bulk goods. And so will their prey...

That being said, the Scarborough is not a pirate ship, per se, it's more like a military frigate that's been tarted up.

Mensk wanted the Scarborough to be intimidating and impressive. It would never have been considered for use in piratical ventures because Mensk would have wanted to be able to dock any and everywhere to conduct his "business". And having his ship implicated in any illegal activity could damage his ability to freely move around to conduct said business.

No, far more likely the cargo hold is virtually empty, or, considering Mensk's attitude, has one or two crates of high quality consumables for use as bribes or barter. But either way it would never have been designed to store much.

David
Site Admin

Post by David » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:48 am

Mensk was not a pirate, he was a respectable businessman. He left all the piracy to his subordinates. His ship is heavily armed because he attracted a lot of enemies.

Wandalstouring

Post by Wandalstouring » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:34 pm

Interesting point of view, you create a world that in terms of trade is very similar to the Medieval Islamic traders. They spread technologies and plants to all parts of the Muslim realm and beyond and thus mainly traded in expensive goods that couldn't be produced in other locations. One reason why these were so expensive were all the taxes along the route. However, even in this culture we do have massive cargo carriers, but also lots of small and fast ships for that purpose. These traded in high value goods and were well defended, so they could also turn pirate, like for enslaving and afterwards trading people. The Christian maritime trade republics can be considered part of that trade system. Venice for example shipped its grain with their galleys. Yup, with lots of rowers on a very fast ship. I don't think space trade of grain would be prohibitly expensive in this universe as it seems in ours. There are more worlds compared to our one and they are very likely to be less concerned about saving energy. But so far, turning Mensk ship into a heavily armed high value transport is a good interpretation I didn't think about. :idea:

Lokekar Kra

Post by Lokekar Kra » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:25 pm

I think "attracted' is too passive a term for Mensk. To me it sounds like he "made" enemies at every turn, even his own crew at the end.
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:47 am

Regarding current page: Only now I noticed that there were actually stairs on the left and right side of the door. When I read the comic (page 412) I actually thought it is just some fancy wall, slightly angled.

Even now, when I look at that page, the stairs look more like a flat, inclined plane.

Vile

Post by Vile » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:25 pm

That's a point, when reading the comic I assumed the central column thingy was a lift shaft. Never realised there were stairs. Mensk needs to get an interior lighting consultant in there, he or she will soon sort him out with some understated yet luxurious stair washers which also function as safety and emergency lighting. Programmable colour can add that extra touch of drama when receiving guests, particulary if matched to the onboard music system.

I need to lay off these product catalogues. Wait, no, I'm in the office, I'm supposed to be looking at these and not posting on forums ... :oops: