Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
sassafras

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by sassafras » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:09 am

Hey, David, sorry to hear you've had a shit time recently.

Condolences and sympathies.

CD looking better than ever !

Sarone

Post by Sarone » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:48 pm

Who is really surprised by this "turn" of events? Any one? I thought so.

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:43 pm

Oh shit...

Actually I am.
Maybe I was illusionized that things are not that bad...

bobismeisbob

Post by bobismeisbob » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:17 am

https://www.davidcsimon.com/crimsondark ... rip_id=169 here's where we saw it last, much more contiguous then.

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:01 am

I wonder what exactly happened. And - if anyone is alive? The former may define if the latter is possible or not...

NefariousDrO

Post by NefariousDrO » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:41 am

That doesn't look like it was bombarded by the Combine's railguns, but more like it was cut apart by a very powerful beam-type weapon. Hmmm...

CorvusCorax

Post by CorvusCorax » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:03 am

bobismeisbob wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:17 am
https://www.davidcsimon.com/crimsondark ... rip_id=169 here's where we saw it last, much more contiguous then.
Thanks, you just had me re-read almost the entire archive from that strip forward :)

This comic absolutely rocks!

CorvusCorax

Post by CorvusCorax » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:22 am

NefariousDrO wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:41 am
That doesn't look like it was bombarded by the Combine's railguns, but more like it was cut apart by a very powerful beam-type weapon. Hmmm...
I disagree.

Nah. No lance could cut an asteroid of that size apart. If you fired in the same spot long enough your could drill a hole through, but that... that looks like a cracked nut. This base was built into a solid asteroid, there's physically two obvious ways to crack it like this:

1. Get it into a tight enough orbit around a sufficiently deep gravity well. Black hole would be perfect, but the tidal forces in a low orbit around a Jupiter sized gas giant should be enough to do this.

2. Create a large enough overpressure event in the core of the asteroid, that counters gravity and drives the mass of the asteroid apart.

The gravity generators we have seen in Crimson Dark so far haven't been of sufficient scale to generate tidal forces large enough to harm this thing. The only time we saw gravitics weaponized was on a station using gravity to disable combatants inside it, which is orders of magnitudes less power...

So unless the Souri have weaponized gravity generators and noone even knew, this leaves the obvious cause for number 2:

I think someone blew the stations reactor up, or ignited a similarly large explosive in the kiloton yield range inside it, with the mass of the asteroid containing the blast, such causing it to shatter.

Survival chances of that depend on the layout of the station. If caverns are drilled into the rock like a labyrinth, the massive rock between them would shield blast and radiation. Then the main issue is loss of atmosphere after integrity got compromised, and actually getting trapped in the rubble. Although a lot of new openings formed, some hallways might actually have collapsed or crushed.

If there's a vault or survival shelter somewhere deep in there with sufficient bulk heads on its path ways and emergency life support, people could survive for months in there, if they weren't directly compromised by the asteroid breaking apart (or sufficiently armored)

Considering its a pirate base, The likelyhood of such "shelters" existing at least for those with sufficient funds and importance is probably very high. My guess is there'd probably be around 7 caverns. One for each syndicate family.

Now question is, if anyone made it there in time, and whether they had any warning or not.

connectr

Post by connectr » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:26 am

Ahh questions. The mark of a great story teller and artist to elicit questions about the story line in advance and how we got here and whence we shall go.

David, You really should change the copyright date from 2016 at least to 2019.

GreyFleece

Post by GreyFleece » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:18 am

Interesting damage - the bits haven't moved very far, even vaporisation cuts would have produced some outward pressure. Perhaps it is designed to come apart?