Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
Kerr

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by Kerr » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:12 pm

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I've been following crimson dark since it's start, and I too am sad to see it end!

I don't remember how, but I came across CD because I was very into 3d modeling spaceships as a kid. Your art was an inspiration for me!

I'm sad it is coming to an end. I hope you might keep posting interesting things you put out there like your book from time to time!

CorvusCorax

Post by CorvusCorax » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:08 am

sassafras wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:37 am
It's David's universe and his story to tell and end as he sees fit.

I want it to continue, too, but we shouldn't complain ...
That's exactly the thing. So far ONLY David can continue the comic, it's his world, his characters, his story, and last but not least his models and render files. Someone else could try to finish the story as fan fiction, but it would neither be the right format, nor would it feel right. And over it all would constantly hover the threat of copyright strikes and illegality.

The entire universe and community relies on this. And all we can do is plead to David to not let us hanging just when it gets really good.

Well, let's see what the epilogue and future announcements suggest. There'd always be the hope of opening it up. A lot could be done with this, from a roleplaying universe to computer games, artwork, everything. After all the resource conflict with the collective could set the stage for a lot of things - from exploration missions to the other side of the galaxy to a full on spoke-war.

But the wording of that last message is quite unsettling and final:
"I think it's time to finish Crimson Dark and focus on other products."
does sound like it really all dies with this. And that'd be incredibly sad.

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:25 am

CorvusCorax wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:08 am
That's exactly the thing. So far ONLY David can continue the comic, it's his world, his characters, his story, and last but not least his models and render files. Someone else could try to finish the story as fan fiction, but it would neither be the right format, nor would it feel right. And over it all would constantly hover the threat of copyright strikes and illegality.
If someone has enough time and skill to create a webcomic of similar quality as this one, they should really create their own world and their own story. This world belongs to David and it should stay that way!
CorvusCorax wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:08 am
"I think it's time to finish Crimson Dark and focus on other products."
does sound like it really all dies with this. And that'd be incredibly sad.
Well, maybe there will be something from the Crimson Dark world in those other projects too? A webcomic is not the only medium to tell the story...

charles

Post by charles » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:24 am

skythorn wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:57 pm
Ah, that sucks. I've enjoyed CD greatly for ages.

Starpower.
Schlock Mercenary
Erfworld

It's as though the era of webcomics is closing.
Man, that list speaks to me. I'll add Shadowgirls, No Need For Bushido and even Clan of the Cats to it. Not to mention "The Phoenix Requiem" which was another Australian author, Sarah Ellerton.

But at least Crimson Dark ended with an ending.
sassafras wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:37 am
I found CD from the old Whedonverse website, they noted the Firefly crew poster in Vaegyr and Larissa's quarters.
Yeah, I actually seem to recall David mentioning that he took great inspiration from Buffy and Firefly for the style of focusing on character interactions and antics. Honestly, I think his space opera universe did a better job by having multiple factions/nations/governments as opposed to Firefly's single government. Gave much more flexibility for approaching different issues or even the same issue from different angles.
CorvusCorax wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:48 am
Darn. Just as it gets interesting.

It was clear as day that the chapter and volume was coming to a conclusion, but the end of the comic as a whole? I hadn't expected that.

After all the Collective is still there, The planet they took is still taken hostage, the galaxy is still running out of habitable worlds and the war might be even just beginning. It's hard to believe the Hero of <one too many battles> would play no further role in this. It's hard to believe Whisper wouldn't want to know more about the collective, or the collective about her.

The end of this chapter is merely a beginning, ending the comic now is like ending lord of the rings after Saruman was defeated but Sauron still at large. Aka after book 2 of 3.

Come on, you can't let it end here. This isn't the end.
Yeah, I'd have liked to see how much of it played out, but I'd argue it has been interesting and was likely to get relatively boring. They've uncovered the mystery which leads back all the way to the beginning of the war and the Collective, while technologically superior, lacks numbers and has some glaring constraints in it's need for Behemoths to remain nearby. Ultimately, their foothold of Farhaven will come under attack before they're really ready to defend it. Smaller, neutral parties like Nargun will assist simply because the Collective has been shown to attack Neutral third parties like them and it'll grind into containment.

The only thing that could have kept it all going would have been new developments that weren't woven into the story from the beginning like the Collective was. I guess there's some character stuff like Larissa's father pulling more antics, the Syndicate factions coming after Whisper and whatever the heck happened to Susphira, but the underlying mysteries were revealed so it's really just aftermath.

>>>>>>

BUT, here's hoping we see a book or two int he future. David used to have some terrific written stories as part of the universe, including the Armistance day bombing.

Good luck with all your endeavors David. I've enjoyed Crimson Dark immensely since the Prequel.
Please visit, read and update the CRIMSON DARK WIKI
SPAMMER Pelts: 83

charles

Post by charles » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:47 pm

To answer your question David. Cannon is generally something thats established in the story or in other published works about the world (guides and such). Generally, I personally see cannon thats established by author commentary to be labelled as Word of God (WoG) or something similar.

Usually it's as good as Cannon but Authors can always change their minds much more easily about something that isn't published story cannon.

I mean, the fact we never heard JAKs were automatically infected or every marine, means you could have used a marine/JAK if you wanted to and wouldn't need to explain why it was an exception.
Please visit, read and update the CRIMSON DARK WIKI
SPAMMER Pelts: 83

NefariousDrO

Post by NefariousDrO » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:32 am

As both a fan, and someone who has advanced degrees in History and Anthropology, the use of "canon" should be handed back to the religious theologians, scholars, etc. where it came from. "Canon" doesn't really apply in literary criticism. They have this wonderful rule called "The Author is Dead", which means once that story is released "into the wild" it's meanings become primarily personal and unique to each individual. One can argue about what is literally in the text, and what is implied, but "canon" is supposed to define what texts and such are "acceptable" within a religious branch, not what is or isn't IN said text.
Let's leave Canon behind and find a better way.

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:53 am

NefariousDrO wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:32 am
As both a fan, and someone who has advanced degrees in History and Anthropology, the use of "canon" should be handed back to the religious theologians, scholars, etc. where it came from. "Canon" doesn't really apply in literary criticism. They have this wonderful rule called "The Author is Dead", which means once that story is released "into the wild" it's meanings become primarily personal and unique to each individual. One can argue about what is literally in the text, and what is implied, but "canon" is supposed to define what texts and such are "acceptable" within a religious branch, not what is or isn't IN said text.
Let's leave Canon behind and find a better way.
Those are some interesting facts, thank you! :)

LeonT

Post by LeonT » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:00 am

That background looks like they're still on Espension station, so of course she's not happy.

connectr

Post by connectr » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:56 am

The hook for further adventures in the future? One can only hope.
I will really, really miss CD

CorvusCorax

Post by CorvusCorax » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:01 am

Discharged? From both?

This sounds like the perfect opportunity to get re-hired as an independent "military consultant".

None of the risk, so much more pay, and no superiors, only clients. - Be on the winning side of the military industrial complex ;)

Give advise to generals, be paid for it, see them ignore it and then get even more pay for telling them "told you so!"