Farscape to be re-released on DVD, by A&E

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)

Farscape to be re-released on DVD, by A&E

Postby see317 on Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:58 pm

Probably not a huge deal for the Australians on the forum, seeing as how they appearently give these away with kids-meals down there, but for the rest of the sci-fi loving world an affordable easily available set of the Farscape series have been harder to come across then... well, something that's hard to come across. I'm no good at metaphors.

According to this link, A&E has picked up the distribution rights for one of the best muppet-centric wormhole based sci-fi series in years, and will be selling them starting in November. Pricing information isn't included, but if I can get the full set for under $400 US (Seriously, check the prices on ebay...) then I'll be a happy lil 'scaper.
see317

Re: Farscape to be re-released on DVD, by A&E

Postby Photon440 on Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:13 pm

Hmmm...it's apparently available right now for far less that you're hoping for. Take a look at DVDCollects.com and search for Farscape.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

-=Photon=-
I think better in my sleep.
Photon440

Postby see317 on Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:38 am

Thanks for the tip Photon, I hadn't heard about that site before, but it doesn't strike me as particularly trustworthy. I don't know what it is, exactky, that makes me uneasy. Possibly the unending stream of 5 star reviews, this is the internet afterall, and we're just not that happy of a bunch. Surely someone, in their 2 years of business, would have rated them less then mind-blowingly excellent. Maybe it's the prices that are so far below every other store that I've seen on the series I've searched. Makes it seem likely that I'll be getting bootlegs at best, and low quality TV rips at worst.

Also, asking around on some other boards came up with this reply:
...And then, proof positive that something is up: under the full box set of Frasier, this is the feedback:
"I found here by google. It is a good online shop!Your DVDS are in excellent condition!"
You don't enjoy Frasier and not know how to form a proper sentence...

If you've had good experiences with them in the past, I'd love to hear about it. But looking around the site just brought up too many red-flags for me.
see317

Postby Photon440 on Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:41 am

see317 wrote:Thanks for the tip Photon, I hadn't heard about that site before, but it doesn't strike me as particularly trustworthy. I don't know what it is, exactky, that makes me uneasy. Possibly the unending stream of 5 star reviews, this is the internet afterall, and we're just not that happy of a bunch. Surely someone, in their 2 years of business, would have rated them less then mind-blowingly excellent. Maybe it's the prices that are so far below every other store that I've seen on the series I've searched. Makes it seem likely that I'll be getting bootlegs at best, and low quality TV rips at worst.

Also, asking around on some other boards came up with this reply:
...And then, proof positive that something is up: under the full box set of Frasier, this is the feedback:
"I found here by google. It is a good online shop!Your DVDS are in excellent condition!"
You don't enjoy Frasier and not know how to form a proper sentence...

If you've had good experiences with them in the past, I'd love to hear about it. But looking around the site just brought up too many red-flags for me.

see317,

You know, all your points are valid. I had exactly the same apprehensions about the site myself. The bad grammar and spelling errors, and most of the feedback appeared to have been penned by the same translator.

However, I decided to find out what it was all about and took the plunge, risking about $40 (including shipping) for the six disc box set with all of the Star Wars movies. I figured that I might get nothing, or the real thing, or burned DVD-R product, or who knows what. Whatever the outcome, other people at work were interested in the experiment to find out what came of it. I was willing to take the risk just to satisfy curiosity, and here is what I received:

After placing the order, an email confirming the purchase came through the next day. Then, after another day, another email with information about the shipping company and tracking number. The shipping company was EMS, so I knew for sure that it was coming from China. Another day, and a Canada Post tracking number was emailed to me. In about a week from placing the order, the package arrived.

"OPENED BY CANADA BORDER SERVICES AGENCY" tape was placed across one end of the envelope. I guess they wanted to see what was being sent from mainland China to my address. The inner package was cut through by a case cutter which also scored the plastic covering the DVD box set, but did not damage the actual box itself. Now, for the movies...

First of all, the actual box was of high physical quality. Very nice printing, with a magnetic closing mechanism for the box lid. However, spelling mistakes abound, in almost comical frequency. The box claims "made in u.s.a" (all lower case, as was the "twentieth century fox" and other info). However, they mis-spelled 'united stetes', 'associdted', possessicon', and other words which I found fairly unlikely to have passed the editing of a local printer. As for the discs themselves -

Actual stamped DVDs, not burned discs. Cleanly printed graphics, with the most glaring evidence of foreign production being the addition of a couple of rows of Chinese characters alongside the English titling. The graphics show evidence of a lack of authenticity however, when looking at the backgrounds. Specifically, A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return Of The Jedi. The box shows correct pictures, with the background Roman Numerals of IV, V and VI respectively. But the discs themselves show IV for all three of the original movies, something that shouldn't happen if you're familiar with Roman Numerals when making up graphics. The site claims that the discs are PAL/NTSC compatable, however mine are NTSC only, which I expected.

Checking the discs with Nero shows that they are single layer, NTSC and with no region code.

Finally, the important part...actual play. Well, no problems. I must admit to only playing a single movie so far, but it was trouble free. No evidence of corporate logos or copyright warnings, it just goes right to the main menu. The disc contains only the movie, no extra features. I have no idea if extra features were available on locally bought discs, but I'm sure they would have at least had the FBI warning about piracy.

So, to sum up, I did get the movies for my dollars. They are factory stamped in a nice case. Are they genuine and authorized by the owner? I would suspect not, due to the aforementioned lack of adherence to proper graphic and print editing. But at least I didn't lose my money and receive nothing, and these weren't the TV rips that you feared. Your suspicion of bootlegs could be more likely. So, as you asked for my experience with this company, there you have it. I hope I've answered your questions, and you can decide from there.

-=Photon=-
Photon440

Postby Photon440 on Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:11 am

See317, I just saw on Amazon.ca that the series is coming out this month. You can pre-order already. Amazon.com lists it for $105.00. That's a pretty good deal!

-=Photon=-
Photon440

Postby see317 on Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:10 am

Thanks for the tipoff Photon. Unfortunately I just got nailed with a speeding ticket so I'm not going to be able to get the preorder discount.

Stupid speed limits.
Stupid school zones.
Stupid cops.

Well, ok, stupid me really. But it's much more fun to blame other people for my mistakes.
see317

Return to Crimson Dark Discussion