Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
javcs

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by javcs » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:33 pm

Lokekar Kra wrote:By the time they get back the Niobe might already be scrapped...

They probably already scrapped the scimitar or lumped it with the other scimitars they collect after battles. Could be a resale market for that one since many governments use the scimitar as a fighter and it is in working condition and the alliance seem like the practical sort to me.
Probably gave it to their ONI/BuShips to take apart, see if there was anything good on it (like Darani communication/IFF codes). Then, either recycled it or sold it.
Though, I suppose they could be planning to assemble a squadron of them for a covert ops mission.
Actually, I'd doubt that they pick up many intact Scimitars (or other fighters) after battles, mainly because if it was still in working condition, it probably returned to a Darani flight deck, and it it wasn't, it's probably because it's shot to pieces and not worth picking up.

@Wingsofwrath - Nice catch.

Lokekar Kra

Post by Lokekar Kra » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:07 am

Considering that Kari herself was "shot down" in the prologue I am guessing that they probably to find a fair number of more or less intact. Throw in it is easier to melt down advanced materials than fabricate them from raw materials I am going to be surprised if there is not extensive salvaging going on after any battle. Even if it is only private organizations going in after the fact they still will collect enough pieces to build whole scimitars from what was scrap.

Tech wise I doubt that there is anything in the scimitar that they could find new. From the database entry I get the feeling that it is a well known fighter craft and can be easily bought on the open market if you have the funds. If it were otherwise I can hardly fathom why they would let Vae keep the one he salvaged (Kari's bird).

Which brings me to a question I have, do fighter pilots not name their craft in the future or use call signs? At least I do not recall one for Kari so far...

Edit: I found my own answer after looking. Kari's callsign was fury, though her wingman Nick does not have one that we are aware of, unless Nick is his callsign...
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost

freedom47

Post by freedom47 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:36 am

Daniel is lying on a bed and there are pictures of a young lady beside him. Who is she?

Raukk

Post by Raukk » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:33 am

On the subject of ships, the Scimitar is stated in the database as used by many nations, but since Kari's is well used and modified significantly I doubt it would be worth much resale. So, it is probably worth more to the Alliance to be used other ways, like an ambush or as a spy, etc. Technically they only said that the Niobe became CDF property(http://www.davidcsimon.com/crimsondark/ ... rip_id=329), not Kari's Scimitar (does it' have a name), but that may be considering Niobe it's carrier and therefor it comes as part of the Niobe.
Because I just checked, Nick's Scimitar is named Merlin/or that's his call sign, but I only see Fury written on Kari's.
As for Niobe, they'd have to be fast to have it striped and destroyed before the crew gets back, also, while it's not the final deal on pg 342 (http://www.davidcsimon.com/crimsondark/ ... rip_id=342) Larissa demands, "My husband and our ship for the data." And since they specifically say its out, I assume they will at least keep it as a bargaining chip, I'm sure the Scar could pay for several ships and for a full overhaul. But I guess we have to wait and see. (I'm still trying to figure out a way in my head where they can logically keep and use both ships.)

Lokekar Kra

Post by Lokekar Kra » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:07 am

Good catch seeing the call sign on the scimitars, I had not considered that when looking, I was mainly at first just trying to skim the dialogue when looking. Then I go caught up re-reading it all again.

I do have to say that Chapter 1 is in dire need of being redone according to the current art style. So when you have more time than you know what to do with and do not want to work on furthering the story you could always go back and work on those... hopefully before I either buy this thing in print or print it out myself.
-Lost

Thaago

Post by Thaago » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:28 am

I'm thinking that the Alliance would probably want to grab the Scar to examine a working Variable Alignment Stabilizer system; it has to be a pretty significant improvement if the UTC is using it on all their newest warships. That said, I hope our heroes keep the Scar. Sure Niobe has sentimental value and all, but it was absolutely wrecked! Engine blown out, stabilizer blown off... The Scar meanwhile is brand new and heavily armed.
Cheers,
Thaago

David
Site Admin

Post by David » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:42 am

freedom47 wrote:Daniel is lying on a bed and there are pictures of a young lady beside him. Who is she?
She's a 27th Century singer going by the name of Lorelei - the pictures are album covers.

As to who she is in our world, they're just photos which I nabbed from stock library, so I don't really know.

Raukk

Post by Raukk » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:13 pm

Thaago wrote:I'm thinking that the Alliance would probably want to grab the Scar to examine a working Variable Alignment Stabilizer system; it has to be a pretty significant improvement if the UTC is using it on all their newest warships. That said, I hope our heroes keep the Scar. Sure Niobe has sentimental value and all, but it was absolutely wrecked! Engine blown out, stabilizer blown off... The Scar meanwhile is brand new and heavily armed.
Since I don't know the scale of the Scar accurately I can't say what size guns are on the Scar, but if they are 25L's then the Scar is heavier armed, though I don't see any point defense (and no visible hangar), it appears to have 3 dual turrets and 4 (maybe 8, i can't tell if they are single or double) higher caliber guns in the front under the wings. But I'd wait until it gets added to the database (or David gives us the specs) before I call it the better ship.

javcs

Post by javcs » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:34 pm

Raukk wrote:
Thaago wrote:I'm thinking that the Alliance would probably want to grab the Scar to examine a working Variable Alignment Stabilizer system; it has to be a pretty significant improvement if the UTC is using it on all their newest warships. That said, I hope our heroes keep the Scar. Sure Niobe has sentimental value and all, but it was absolutely wrecked! Engine blown out, stabilizer blown off... The Scar meanwhile is brand new and heavily armed.
Since I don't know the scale of the Scar accurately I can't say what size guns are on the Scar, but if they are 25L's then the Scar is heavier armed, though I don't see any point defense (and no visible hangar), it appears to have 3 dual turrets and 4 (maybe 8, i can't tell if they are single or double) higher caliber guns in the front under the wings. But I'd wait until it gets added to the database (or David gives us the specs) before I call it the better ship.
The Scar has the heavy guns immediately under both the wing pylons(first visible 11:32); a rear ventral turret that I think is PD (first visible 11:32, clearly visible 11:34), 2 turrets I believe are PD on the upper portion of the hull at approximately 2/3 of the way to the stern (first visible 11:32); 11:35 shows us that there are possibly another pair of turrets just aft of the chin, below and forward of the wing assemblies.
Since Scar is (apparently) a modern ship out of a UTC yard, incorporating modern UTC military grade jump systems at the very least, I think it is ... unlikely that the Scar is statistically inferior to Niobe in most respects. The Scar likely does have a reduced cargo and hangar capacity relative to Niobe, true.

Lokekar Kra

Post by Lokekar Kra » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:04 pm

I am not sure about that. It depends on what sort of role the Scar was designed to fill. If it was intended as typical pirate ship it will have lots of space dedicated to holding excess crew and boarding armament and could have a very minimal cargo hold. On the other hand if it was more intended to only take away what was valuable and then leave it should have a sizable hold for not only its own needs on long tours but for holding any acquired materials as well.

They also said that the bridge had modular setup, which makes me think that perhaps other than the critical systems parts of the layout might be modular in design as well. It would be useful to have the ship modular in design to allow a variety of mission specific loads.

Granted it is a pirate vessel, but that is all the more reason to have a more flexible ship.

We all assume the Vae is attached the Niobe, but to me having just read through it all again I get the feeling that he more than anything likes most that it is 'his' ship more than the specific ship.

Niobe is 200 years old I read somewhere, or if not that old she is plenty old enough that the only way she could be better than the Scar would be in cargo capacity assuming that they are of roughly equal size and Scar has more space dedicated to crew functions. We have not see the cargo hold for the Scar and remember that the Niobe had two docking points on her, I would not be surprised if the Scar followed suite and had a cargo bay door somewhere else.

Edit: Forgot to say that the Niobe also started out as a "space yacht" which means that the cargo hold is either of typical size or was a modification to the original.
-Lost