Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
LeonT

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by LeonT » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:45 am

Aegeus wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:13 am
It's the Vorstok on a collision course that's out of air - I'm guessing the Controller is driving now. I think LeonT is suggesting the Tempest could ram the Vorstok out of the way.
That's exactly what I'm suggesting.
It would suck for the Tempest, but in a collision between a battleship and a destroyer I'd bet on the battleship.

(However, the Vorstok is pretty big for a "destroyer" - big enough to be used as a flagship of a battle group - so I don't know if CD's ship classes mean the same things they do in a real navy.)
All that's required for "winning" is modifying the trajectory such that it doesn't ram the station, and damaging the Vorstok enough that it's not to be able to try a second time. Having the Tempest survive is secondary to either of those objectives.

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:25 am

LeonT wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:45 am
Aegeus wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:13 am
It's the Vorstok on a collision course that's out of air - I'm guessing the Controller is driving now. I think LeonT is suggesting the Tempest could ram the Vorstok out of the way.
That's exactly what I'm suggesting.
It would suck for the Tempest, but in a collision between a battleship and a destroyer I'd bet on the battleship.

(However, the Vorstok is pretty big for a "destroyer" - big enough to be used as a flagship of a battle group - so I don't know if CD's ship classes mean the same things they do in a real navy.)
All that's required for "winning" is modifying the trajectory such that it doesn't ram the station, and damaging the Vorstok enough that it's not to be able to try a second time. Having the Tempest survive is secondary to either of those objectives.
Yeah... ramming anything in space is hard if you have no thrust. Space is mostly empty, only coincidentally there is actually something there.

Interestingly, I read recently, that you need twice the amount of thrust to hit the Sun from Earth, than to escape the Solar system (if you try to do it directly and not doing some fancy orbital maneouvers which may take years). So - even hitting the Sun is hard ;)

Dhraakellian
Location: Earth, 3 Sol System, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe

Post by Dhraakellian » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:46 am

Is there any chance of us getting a 1080x1920 version of that filler-page render?
My phone has been itching for a new wallpaper since Friday!
Some pithy statement goes here.

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:49 pm

The internet is back up, life is returning to normal, and I promise not to mention my new book for a little while.
And I promise not to take down Internet for an experiment if humans are still capable living without it...
For a while... ;)

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:03 pm

Pew pew, kthoom, pew pew pew, whoooosh, krakka dakka, pew pew pew...
There is no sound in space ;)
Ah.... I ruined it....

Aegeus

Post by Aegeus » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:04 pm

Ooh, those smoke trails look pretty!

Good job on taking out the jammer, but I think it would help even more if they went for the thrusters.

Recoveringblonde

Post by Recoveringblonde » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:19 pm

Thanks for the tribute to Mr. Tealeaf. Is this going to be the new redshirt?

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:43 pm

Aegeus wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:04 pm
Ooh, those smoke trails look pretty!

Good job on taking out the jammer, but I think it would help even more if they went for the thrusters.
It won't help if the ship is already on its course, unless it triggers some major explosion...

Bob, you better start with that FLT transmission!

Ferdinand

Post by Ferdinand » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:37 am

I see two thrusters next to each other, take one out and the ship will start to veer off to the side. Maybe missing the station or glancing off.

Aegis J Hyena

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:22 am

I'm waiting for the Mazikeen to make its move. Once it realizes a collision is going on and that the broadwave went out...