CD Wiki

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
charles

CD Wiki

Post by charles » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:43 pm

THE CRIMSON DARK WIKI HAS BEEN CREATED AND CAN BE FOUND BY FOLLOWING THIS LINK
---

Have you ever considered putting up a wiki for Crimson Dark and her universe?

Its worked great for Erfworld which has also created its entire universe.

Available to the public with logins for club members to alter and update it while seeing pages relating to the exclusive content. It ends up being just one more bonus to the supporters club and they virtually manage themselves (I think the Erfworld staff's last activity is listed as being back in August).
Please visit, read and update the CRIMSON DARK WIKI
SPAMMER Pelts: 56

David
Site Admin

Re: CD Wiki

Post by David » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:28 pm

Hmm... this idea intrigues me. What do others think?

Lokekar Kra

Post by Lokekar Kra » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:37 pm

Having the already availble data searchable would be great! Not to mention we could add entries for things that have been seen/mentioned in the comic but are not in the official database just yet.
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost

charles

Post by charles » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:04 am

hmmm, sounds like you'll be busy with the alternate project for a while. But, I guess its some more time to think about it.

I'd recommend either MediaWiki which is a database driven software used by Wikipedia and almost certainly has the most support and third-party extentions out there, or the easier PmWiki which uses flatfiles rather than a database but is probably more than powerful enough for the amount of infomation CD's wiki is likely to need.

The two different software's websites are a pretty good example of what you'd see or get depending on which one you might choose (Wikimedia obviously looking almost exactly like the more familiar Wikipedia). They're both free.

charles

Post by charles » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:38 pm

Actually, I just recalled that the Erfworld wiki actually started out at this place: http://www.wikia.com

They moved the content to a personally owned site after it got expansive but its a great place to get it started initially. Not sure how the users and permissions work but I'd think you have some control over it so you can still permit only Support Club members to edit.

Wookieepedia uses it.

David
Site Admin

Post by David » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:08 pm

Okay, I've decided to give this a try:

http://crimsondark.wikia.com

There desn't seem to be any way to edit permissions, so go nuts.

charles

Post by charles » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:12 am

*groan*

Spent HOURS working on the wiki page for Kari Tyrell. Had appearence, personality, skills and most of her history. Was up to finishing the story of her enlistment to Niobe at around 11pm. The next think I know, I'm woken up off the couch at 1:30am to the sound of my laptop falling off my lap and smashing into the ground. :cry:

Oh well. I'm a Systems Engineer so learned a lession I should already have remembered. ALWAYS SAVE YOUR PROGRESS!!!

Shouldn't take me too long to remake it as I remember most of the details.

I've created a page that will describe the events in every page for reference and have finished all pages of the Prologue. I'll probably start the Chapter pages but leave them to finish another day or for someone else to finish and just get on with the juicy stuff like the character, ship and location pages

skythorn

Post by skythorn » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:15 pm

<grin>I can't wait to start messing with all your hard work. </Grin>

But on a serious note, how detailed should we be? Spartan, Factual, Detailed, Descriptive, Flamboyant, Speculative ... or ... ???

Its good to have a brief of the webcomic so you can go directly to the pages and read the words/pictures directly. I think some of the fandom wiki docs for SF/Webcomics have too much detail. For example: at the Goblins webcomic forum, I compiled a quick reference forum post, and some suggested this reference be put into the Goblins webcomic wiki - having a deeper look in that Wiki it seemed that there are a bunch of people who have done a lot of work there. Some pages have a lot of effort put into them as though the wiki writers were re-writing the story of the story in the webcomic, and other pages are a bit like a dictionary, here something happened, here something else happened. Much more brief, almost spartan in approach. I would like people to kinda agree on a style.

Hmm - perhaps some specific examples might help.

Goblins : life through their eyes
Spartan - My spartan post in Goblins Forum.
Detailed - Perhaps too detailed description of [urlhttp://goblinscomic.wikia.com/wiki/The_Goblin_Slayer]Goblin Slayer[/url] in Goblins.

Blakes 7
Concise - "Blakes Seven" in Wikipedia : quite detailed but clean.
Detailed - "Roj Blake" entry within Blakes 7 : again quite detailed but speculation is modest, it depicts the facts in the series.

Girl Genius
Too detailed IMO - Klaus Wulfenbach

Are there any opinions - do we have opinions? Is there a style of Wiki work which we should work towards? What do we want?
Last edited by skythorn on Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David
Site Admin

Post by David » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:48 pm

skythorn wrote:But on a serious note, how detailed should we be? Spartan, Factual, Detailed, Descriptive, Flamboyant, Speculative ... or ... ???
It's your Wiki (the readers), you decide! Personally I prefer simple and informative facts and speculation, rather than text-walls which summarise the summary of the summary.

charles

Post by charles » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:03 pm

Yeah, I feel like I was getting a bit too detailed in the single page. Better to have multiple small pages that it could link to. So instead of going on about Kari's actions in the Battle of White-Rim, I can just detail the whole battle elsewhere and link kari's page to it.

Still... I fell like I really nailed some stuff in it.

On the page details. Yeah, the one think I hate about the Erfwiki for Erfworld is that they've got a page for every single comic page AND a page for every single panel AND a page for the text in that panel :shock:. Any time you hit the random page button it takes about 20 hits before you come across something that ISN'T just a page about a single panel or the text in it. So I've got a single page that will have the whole comic summarised page by page but its actually just has links to other pages which will detail only a single chapter each (This way you only change the summary in one place). I don't plan to go down to individual pages for comic pages let alone individual pages for each panel, but maybe I'll create a page that can just have a wall of text containing all thats been said in speech bubbles for reference.

You can link to subtitles in a page, not just entire pages, so you don't need individual pages for every detail, but at the same time, some pages (such as character sheets) shouldn't be entire walls of text, so I'll try and keep it summarised.