Favorite Sci-fi

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
Digitalmaniac

Re: Favorite Sci-fi

Post by Digitalmaniac » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:55 pm

Hasn't the Doctor Just about run out of his allotted lives by now :?: By the way, Pertwee was the Doctor when I was first indoctrinated. His successor, Tom Baker was a little over the top but he did have a long run in the role. It's interesting that a show could run so long while turning over the lead role so many times.

I'm not a big fan of time travel stories because too many times lazy writers raise too many paradoxes in time and never try to resolve them. Doctor Who did a better job I think and time travel was not the main theme of each story. Where they were at any given time was the real story. I do remember one story where Tom Baker could have eliminated the Daleks before they were ever formed but chose not to change history. Watch the movie "Time Cop" if you want to see history paradoxes flying all around.

Haven't seen the Doctor in ages so I'm way behind in his history. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Whatever doesn't kill me better run really fast
check out my website at http://www.placesimagined.com

Morchaint

Post by Morchaint » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:13 pm

yea paradoxes do seem to about whenever you get involved in time travel.
I havent seen episodes in years but most of the ones I saw, yes it was all about what was going on then. and oh here lets pop back in the machine and bam new mostly unrelated episode
~Morchaint.:geek:

Eat Dessert first, Life is uncertain.
I didn't do it, Nobody saw me do it, and you can't Prove anything! :P

NefariousDrO

Post by NefariousDrO » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:05 pm

Well, like alot of people here, I've been reading/watching tons of SF for quite a while, now. I'd say my major influences/favorites would be 2001, Babylon 5, "Legacy of Heurot" by Larry Niven, and the first issue of "Dark Orchid" comic. (any comic that opens with a super hero getting captured by the villain who promptly shoots her in the back of the head is off to a good start, and that was in the 1980's, long before Austin Powers made the same joke) I'd say that it's probably obvious that I like "hard" sf, and I tend to lean towards near-future rather than far future. I think that's what drew me here: a self-consistent universe, good characters, strong complex story.

skythorn

Post by skythorn » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:00 pm

Fire upon the deep is wonderful - agreed. magical concept and what blew me away is that it was all in one book. One book. Not 3, Not 3 + another 3. A nice simple rounded single book. Just like they should be.

I am so unimpressed with Hammilton and his overblown doorstop collection. Sure it's SF, but it's fat SF that goes nowhere. Kevin Anderson is another person who takes a moderate idea and blows it up to baloney, when he could have had a small brief little bit of gemwork instead. Less is more folks. Look at Fire upon the Deep. Wonderful in its entirity.

skythorn

Post by skythorn » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:17 pm

This is an awesome list site .. I have read most of the books listed and fairly much agree with the list in it's current form.

May I suggest exploring some of these if you have the time?

http://home.austarnet.com.au/petersykes ... index.htmlpetersykes topscifi

Here are some of his lists (well, the book ones anyway)
  • Top 100 Sci-Fi Books
  • Next 100 Sci-Fi Books
  • Major Sci-Fi Book Series
  • Top 100 Sci-Fi Films
  • Top 100 Sci-Fi TV Shows
  • Top 100 Sci-Fi Short Stories
  • Next 100 Sci-Fi Short Stories
  • Top 100 Fantasy Books
  • Short Fiction
  • Book Reviews
  • Aliens
  • Missions
  • Anthologies
  • Mysteries
  • Apocalyptic
  • Newer Books
  • Basically Big
  • New Wave
  • Bio-tech
  • Nineties
  • Collections
  • Planets 1
  • Cyberpunk
  • Planets 2
  • Ecological
  • Prescient
  • Empires
  • Pulp Fiction
  • Faulty Futures
  • Religion
  • Histories
  • Satires
  • Invasions
  • Society
  • Mars Space
  • Opera
  • Military
  • Time Twisting
  • Mind Matters
*edit * : I was thinking of fixing this page but I really could not be bothered with all the cut and paste already done, so i'm leaving it here as an edifice to the failure of BBcode - sigh

SciFiGuy

Post by SciFiGuy » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:16 pm

I'm about to watch Dollhouse - a new series by Joss Whedon.
I'll post my opinion of it later.

Here's a brief synopsis:
Echo (Eliza Dushku) is a young woman who is literally everybody's fantasy. She is one of a group of men and women who can be imprinted with personality packages, including memories, skills, language—even muscle memory—for different assignments. The assignments can be romantic, adventurous, outlandish, uplifting, sexual and/or very illegal. When not imprinted with a personality package, Echo and the others are basically mind-wiped, living like children in a futuristic dorm/lab dubbed the Dollhouse, with no memory of their assignments—or of much else. The show revolves around the childlike Echo's burgeoning self-awareness, and her desire to know who she was before, a desire that begins to seep into her various imprinted personalities and puts her in danger both in the field and in the closely monitored confines of the Dollhouse.

SciFiGuy

Post by SciFiGuy » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:02 pm

Interesting concept, and I admit I only watched it because it was from Joss Whedon.
He wrote and directed the first episode.

However, it just reminded me of Alias. Pretty girl posing as another person under an assumed identity.
The only difference is she really thinks she's the person she's pretending to be.

It has Helo from Battlestar in it, and they give a nod to Edward James Olmos.

From what I've read, the next few episodes are meant to be good.

I can tell where this is heading tho. She'll start retaining bits and pieces of her different personalities and eventually will try to escape the Dollhouse.

I give it a 7 out of 10.

Lokekar Kra

Post by Lokekar Kra » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:51 pm

Saw it too and thought it was a great story. I do agree that it is a bit doomed series wise to fall into your predicted path. We can all hope that Joss can keep it more interesting than that. I greatly appreciate him throwing in moral and ethical questions right away. Always a good sign when a show points outs the flaws in itself.
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost

see317

Post by see317 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:05 pm

Look at the bright side, the show's on Fox so it likely won't last long enough to go down the cliche path you've outlined.

Lokekar Kra

Post by Lokekar Kra » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:08 pm

Lol, yeah with what they did with Firefly in mind as well.
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost