Favorite Sci-fi

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
Froggy the Great

Re: Favorite Sci-fi

Post by Froggy the Great » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:10 pm

Hartnell, Colin Baker, and Paul McGann are my least favorite Doctors, and everyone else has their time and place in which they can be really enjoyed. This new young guy they have cast for Tennant's replacement has some potential too. Pity about the emo-hair though.

David
Site Admin

Post by David » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:20 pm

My favourites are Troughton, Pertwee, Davison and McCoy. Colin Baker is the only Doctor I actively dislike (just the character though, the actor seems like a nice enough guy).

I'm worried about the new Doctor, but I've been unhappy with the new series in general.

Froggy the Great

Post by Froggy the Great » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:58 pm

David wrote:I'm worried about the new Doctor, but I've been unhappy with the new series in general.
Russel T. Davies is stepping down. That has been my mantra.

Morchaint

Post by Morchaint » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:52 pm

I havent seen it forever and a year so I wouldnt know what any of the newer doctors look like
~Morchaint.:geek:

Eat Dessert first, Life is uncertain.
I didn't do it, Nobody saw me do it, and you can't Prove anything! :P

Froggy the Great

Post by Froggy the Great » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:46 pm

They've actually been pretty good at keeping the vibe, it's just the constant recurrence of Rose and The Little Lost Daleks that get annoying. Oh, and a bit of this last season. I've got a friend who's a Doctor Who Purist that's sorta like my miner-s canary - when Dan's head explodes more than say three times a season, something needs to be done over Cardiff way, preferably involving hammers.

Morchaint

Post by Morchaint » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:14 am

lol. like most series sometimes the writers have good episodes and bad episodes. and that has nothing to do with the show's episodes.

David
Site Admin

Post by David » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:46 am

Overall the new series has been plagued by lazy, hackneyed writing, over-direction and intrusive self-indulgent music. Honestly, I think they've failed to keep the "vibe" or the original series (and I speak as someone who has at least a dozen of the original series stories on DVD).

The only exception in terms of writing is Steven Moffat, who is a genius (if you haven't seen his miniseries "Jekyll", go out and rent the DVDs NOW!!!). Russell T Davies is a terrible writer and I was delighted when I heard that Moffat is taking over from Davies as show-runner.

Dhraakellian
Location: Earth, 3 Sol System, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe

Post by Dhraakellian » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:07 pm

Froggy the Great wrote:Hartnell, Colin Baker, and Paul McGann are my least favorite Doctors
David wrote:Colin Baker is the only Doctor I actively dislike (just the character though, the actor seems like a nice enough guy).
You guys need to track down some off the Big Finish audio plays. Colin Baker has some good, better-written serials in them, particularly opposite Evelyn Smythe.

McGann doesn't seem to be doing too poorly either.
Froggy the Great wrote:Russel T. Davies is stepping down. That has been my mantra.
Really? I thought it was more along the lines of "kick RTD in the shins".
Some pithy statement goes here.

Froggy the Great

Post by Froggy the Great » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:44 pm

That too. Moffatt has his work cut out for him for sure - the shark-ramp is looming if the ascent is not already commenced.

Morchaint

Post by Morchaint » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:38 pm

lol shark ramp bwah hahah