Favorite Sci-fi

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
see317

Favorite Sci-fi

Post by see317 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:51 pm

So, reading the introduction thread it seems pretty clear that everyone who has signed up has some love of science fiction. Go figure, a sci-fi web comic about space ships, cyborgs, blowing stuff up and cyborgs in space ships blowing stuff up attracts the sci-fi crowd. Whodda thunk it?

Anyway, let's talk about other sci-fi. Authors, movies, favorite books?

I'm a fan of Vernor Vinge for space going sci-fi. A fire upon the deep is a great book with a rather unique take on where high-tech civilizations go in the galaxy. It's not to the center, where some bizarre radiation (or something, it's never really explained) makes everything stupider, people, AI and machines. None of them operate as they should. Instead, more advanced civilizations move away from the core where the absence of the stupidifying effect makes really marvelous tech stuff possible. Farther from the core exist civilizations who have transcended to a god-like status. The book starts with a group of humans finding an ancient library and recreating what appears to be a harmless bit of technology.
*Note: No bit of ancient technology is ever harmless. EVER.
They find out how harmless it's not when it turns sentient, kills nearly everyone on the station and starts consuming the upper transcend (where the afore mentioned god-races hang out until they get bored and either dissapate or move to something the lower transcend races can't even comprehend). Fortunately, the counter measure to this Sentience was saved on one of the escaping ships, it's moved into the lower reaches, just brushing the slow-zone (where FTL travel is no longer possible) just outside of the Sentience's reach, for now.

\m/_ (>_<) _\m/

Re: Favorite Sci-fi

Post by \m/_ (>_<) _\m/ » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:17 pm

I like alot of movies, tv, comics and cartoons, and magna and anime Sci-Fi.

Star Wars and Robotech/the Macrosses are my all time favorites! :D

Lokekar Kra

Post by Lokekar Kra » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:32 pm

Current favorite is David Weber's newest series starting with Off Armageddon Reef.

In short humanity found the blasted remains of another species. Humanity suddenly realizes space might not be so friendly and starts building a real space navy. Humanity meets its worst nightmare in Gbaba, a race that even though it can communicate with humanity only wants to eradicate humanity. Humanity loses first battles, fights back and wins for a bit, then full gabbada fleet arrives, humanity loses the war, final human fleet makes desperate gamble to establish one last hidden colony. Humanity realizes its tech has give previous hidden colonies positions away. Final colony ditches tech for a 'short time' till 'coast is clear'. 800 years later not everyone thinks humanity should have technology again, enter heroine.
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost

see317

Post by see317 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:17 pm

That sounds like an entertaining read Lokekar. I'll have to track it down next time I've got book-buyin' money to burn.

\m/_ (>_<) _\m/

Post by \m/_ (>_<) _\m/ » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:30 am

It does sound good!

I'm going to keep an eye out for it as wel! :D

dj_squelch
Location: Northen Saskatchewan.... it's cold here. Yes we have Moose.

Post by dj_squelch » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:05 am

Lokekar Kra wrote:Current favorite is David Weber's newest series starting with Off Armageddon Reef.

In short humanity found the blasted remains of another species. Humanity suddenly realizes space might not be so friendly and starts building a real space navy. Humanity meets its worst nightmare in Gbaba, a race that even though it can communicate with humanity only wants to eradicate humanity. Humanity loses first battles, fights back and wins for a bit, then full gabbada fleet arrives, humanity loses the war, final human fleet makes desperate gamble to establish one last hidden colony. Humanity realizes its tech has give previous hidden colonies positions away. Final colony ditches tech for a 'short time' till 'coast is clear'. 800 years later not everyone thinks humanity should have technology again, enter heroine.
You had me at "enter heroine". Can you please place this at the start of your post next time :lol:
HAAAAAALP MEEEEE!!! i'm cold :(

Mercy Machine

Post by Mercy Machine » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:10 pm

I've read, listened to, and watched a lot of SF. Too much really to pick a favourite. How d'you compare "Quatermass And The Pit" with "Star Wars"? Or "Blade Runner" with "Metropolis"? And why would you want to try?

see317

Post by see317 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:30 am

Mercy Machine wrote:I've read, listened to, and watched a lot of SF. Too much really to pick a favourite. How d'you compare "Quatermass And The Pit" with "Star Wars"? Or "Blade Runner" with "Metropolis"? And why would you want to try?
I suppose you can't compare them. It's not worth trying really. It'd be like comparing apples to car mufflers.

But it's still entertaining to see what other people are reading, which was my secret plan for this thread all along: to have complete strangers recomend me books to read or movies to watch.

Speaking of movies, anyone seen the new Day The Earth Stood Still?
Thoughts? Comments? Burning vitriol and hatred directed at the general direction of hollywood?

Lokekar Kra

Post by Lokekar Kra » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:23 am

dj_squelch wrote: You had me at "enter heroine". Can you please place this at the start of your post next time :lol:
The first part of that is just the premise and introduction to the book. The true story starts 800 years after humanity lost the first war.

You could compare characters if you wanted, but whole universes gets sticky.
Last edited by Lokekar Kra on Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost

Morchaint

Post by Morchaint » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:14 am

I have never had the Sci Fi channel so Ive missed out on tons of stuff I bet.

however.

I like Star Wars, Star Trek, Firefly, Stargate, lots of space based anime and other stuff I cant rmember right now.

if you find somehting really cool, share it with me Id prolly like it.
~Morchaint.:geek:

Eat Dessert first, Life is uncertain.
I didn't do it, Nobody saw me do it, and you can't Prove anything! :P