Important Announcement!

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
David
Site Admin

Important Announcement!

Post by David » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:27 am

Hi all.

Recently I have hinted at some big personal news, and it's now finally official:

I've just taken a job as a Writer at Bioware Austin, where I'll be creating content for Star Wars: The Old Republic.

This is essentially my dream job. I've long considered myself a storyteller first and foremost, and games are the richest canvas for storytelling currently available. For many years I've wanted to write for games, and when it comes to game developers who emphasise quality writing and story-telling, you can't go past Bioware.

But here's the bad news:

I don't think I can work on Crimson Dark AND The Old Republic, certainly not without compromising CD's quality and/or update schedule.

I have therefore made the painful but necessary decision to end Crimson Dark after Chapter 12.

Don't worry, you won't be left hanging. I had always intended the Battle of Farhaven to be the climax which would conclude Volume 1 of Crimson Dark, it is therefore the perfect place to wrap things up. I also plan on returning to the CD universe after I've settled down in my new job, but time constraints mean that I'll probably focus on writing illustrated prose rather than a longform comic.

All active members of the Supporter's Club have had their current subscriptions extended indefinitely, and I will no longer be accepting new members or subscription fees. When I eventually return to Crimson Dark I will close down the club and make all content (current and new) available to everyone for free.

Any paying members of the Supporter's Club who have made a payment on or since the 18th August 2011, who feel short-changed, are welcome to email me and ask for a refund of your last payment.

I think 5 years is a good run for a webcomic, and I'd like to thank everyone for reading - it has meant the world to me.

Kahn_Iceay
Location: The beast under your bed, in your closet, in your head.

Re: Important Announcement!

Post by Kahn_Iceay » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:41 am

I've already pre-ordered TOR, and honestly cannot wait to play, now knowing that you're helping create content for it, the wait should be even more rewarding. I congratulate you on this, and while I will be sad to see CD end, even if just for now, I can't wait to see what you can do with the medium of TOR available too you.

selenite

Post by selenite » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:44 am

Huzzah! That's great news!

Okay, I'll miss seeing more CD, but this is still good on net. :)

Dunno if I'll be seeing your work in SWTOR, my family is firmly committed to WoW.

Are you telecommuting or moving to Austin?

Lokekar Kra

Post by Lokekar Kra » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:20 pm

CONGRATS!!!!!

I am sure all of us wish that you could keep CD going, but pursue your dreams! Thanks for sharing the CD universe with us! I will still check so do not worry about me not being around if you get CD going again.
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost

algesan

Post by algesan » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:02 pm

Congrats. I hate to see CD go, but if it helped get you your job, then more power to you.

Once you get settled and can do some "piddling", why not set up the current battle sequence (without the Nioboids since they would be a distraction) as a short? That would be a lot of fun to see and if someone else could see "action", then it might just give a second boost to your career.

cbhacking

Post by cbhacking » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:29 pm

Wow... congrats and a half! That's excellent news for you, and it means I might actually give SW:TOR a try (it's not my preferred flavor of MMO from what I've seen so far, but it *is* Bioware...)

It's very sad to be losing one of the best webcomics I know (and I read a lot of them, and know many more) but even if it doesn't return in its current form it's been a great story and gorgeous art, and I look forward to whatever comes next!

Vile

Post by Vile » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:04 pm

It would be churlish to wish you anything but the best! CD will be missed, but I hope it will one day be seen as merely a step on your stairway to awesome. 8-)

Oh, look, my 100th post. That seems fitting ...

CorsairX

Post by CorsairX » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:30 pm

I'm going to miss CD but all I can say is congratulations! I wish you all the very best with your new job and thanks for the story you've told :D

(And I'm still hoping to find out more about Whisper in the future!)

Photon440

Post by Photon440 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:01 am

It's been a good run, David. Thanks for the wonderful story and continually putting in so much time and effort to come up with truly spectacular artwork. Of course we'll miss CD, just like we miss Firefly. But to have landed your dream job is such good news, I'm glad that your talents are recognized by a company that can pay you what you're worth!

All the best, and I'll be keeping an eye out in the future for any news of CDs return :)

-Ed
I think better in my sleep.

Knowles2

Post by Knowles2 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:08 am

Congratulations on getting your dream job. I might pick up the game one day in the future.

So now you have successfully infiltrated Bioware, surely the next part of the plan is to rise up through the ranks and convince them to produce a Crimson Dark video game ;) .

Any chance of getting a news letter going so that you can inform us of new Crimson dark content as and when you produce it.