What if Crimson Dark was a RPG?

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
Sarone

Re: What if Crimson Dark was a RPG?

Post by Sarone » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:16 pm

Wow, this topic went off alittle bit.

Cortex system is liked since you don't need worry about trying to change character classes. You acn keep certain aspects, update some technology, and spin the setting to suit your needs.

Mercy Machine

Post by Mercy Machine » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:31 pm

David wrote:Personally I've always preferred skill-based progression rather than pre-defined classes.
I haven't really played enough RPGs to comment much. The only one I ever put much time into was Traveller in games run by a group that kept to the original rules (the ones in those funny little black books). I actually liked the... challenging character-generation system. It had the genuine rough kiss of the way life happens while you're making other plans. I suppose it's fair to say that Traveller to some extent combined character classes (career paths) with skill progression.

nothing.fortune

Post by nothing.fortune » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:17 am

I can't help but think of Eve online when reading this comic.

Morchaint

Post by Morchaint » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:38 am

hmm all interesting ideas. I dont know much about what was discussed after my last post, however I did play a Vampire Character once. If someone makes up the game here. Id play it.

whos going to be the GM/DM/Referee?
~Morchaint.:geek:

Eat Dessert first, Life is uncertain.
I didn't do it, Nobody saw me do it, and you can't Prove anything! :P

AaronLee

Post by AaronLee » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:56 am

Yeah, sorry about the OT, I was just throwing out how I handled human vs vehicle scale in the same system, it would definitely be something that'd need to be faced by this RPG were it made.

Other than that; I hope we'd prusue a more career/skill rather then class-based system;
Mercy Machine wrote:
David wrote:Personally I've always preferred skill-based progression rather than pre-defined classes.
I haven't really played enough RPGs to comment much. The only one I ever put much time into was Traveller in games run by a group that kept to the original rules (the ones in those funny little black books). I actually liked the... challenging character-generation system. It had the genuine rough kiss of the way life happens while you're making other plans. I suppose it's fair to say that Traveller to some extent combined character classes (career paths) with skill progression.
From what I've inferred reading about traveller, they had a really unique, quirky system for this. The idea of having a history, accidents and flaws layed out behind you sounds like it would fit this universe pretty well.

Again; sorry about the bombastic OT rant I threw out there. I just got a bit ahead of myself, lol.

Vile

Post by Vile » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:09 am

I'd definitely say that Mongoose Traveller would be a good choice for a Crimson Dark game. It's setting-generation rules seem to be just right for CD. And it is an OGL game ... ;)

I was just agreeing violently on the Mongoose Forums, in fact.

RocketDad

Post by RocketDad » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:19 am

Call me old fashioned, but for my proverbial money, a really good system for SF games has always been WEG's D6. Ten thousand Star Wars fans can't be wrong. As an added bonus, the entire rules system is OGL and free to use now. This means that a CD RPG that uses OpenD6 could actually be published. And sold for money. Huh...maybe this idea should go in the "How the Monetize CD" Forum... 8-)

Vile

Post by Vile » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:58 pm

Same goes for Mongoose Traveller, you can even put the logo on the cover if you comply with the licence.

allikat

Post by allikat » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:56 am

This could easily be done with the Interlock system from Cyberpunk 2, I wouldn't know what their licencing rules are (or if anyone still owns the rights, I think RTG went under a few years back). It's a skill based system, with skills based progression, and a system for augs (aka cyberware). I have always loved that game, and my usual RPG group uses it for almost anything outside pure fantasy settings.

SyntheticPhylum

Post by SyntheticPhylum » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:51 pm

I'm working on designing an RPG system that could certainly be used for running a campaign in the CD universe. It's tentatively called the 'Armageddon' system, since it's core mechanics are somewhat based on a certain post-apocalyptic CRPG that I'm certain many of us know & love. I'm currently debating on a skill-based percentile system, with linked attributes modifying rolls, a more WoD/Shadowrun skill+stat=dice number, 'Hit-based' type, or a skill+stat=dice number, add-em-all-up to hit the TN type system. All three have their merits (and probably flaws). I'm strongly against 'class' based systems, ever since I'd been exposed to the alternative. What I will end up with, system-wise, will probably incorporate my own versions of the things I like the most about many of the different game systems I've played, and hopefully as few of the flaws as possible!