What if Crimson Dark was a RPG?

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
Sarone

What if Crimson Dark was a RPG?

Post by Sarone » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:28 am

What would be the basis for it? The Cortex system used the Serenity/Battlestar Galactica RPG? The "new" Battletech RPG (haven't finished looking through it)? Or the Star Wars Saga Edition with out the Jedi class (for now)?

Morchaint

Re: What if Crimson Dark was a RPG?

Post by Morchaint » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:56 am

I think it would be cool if it had a job class. these are some suggestions. could be more. or less.
Now Im not saying that someone could just have one thing. those playing could mix and match say 3 classes.
I may come up with more later.
Soldier : starter class.
Locks expert : Starter class
Scientist : starter class
Medic : starter class
Reconnaisance
Armor/weapon assembler
Ship defensive expert
pilot for medium/large craft
pilot for small fighter craft
Strategtist / Tactical expert
Augmentation expert
Boarder/ Heavy melee
Guns expert
Mechanic
Security
Heavy peons : Those who LIKE to carry around other ppls stuff.
Leader
Ship weapon expert
~Morchaint.:geek:

Eat Dessert first, Life is uncertain.
I didn't do it, Nobody saw me do it, and you can't Prove anything! :P

Sarone

Post by Sarone » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:07 am

That sounds good. What us your gaming experience?

Morchaint

Post by Morchaint » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:59 pm

mostly dungeons and dragons 2.0 3.0 3.5 lots of time looking at final fantasy games. some earthdawn and gurps and other systems. I would like to hear more suggestions. maybe we can set up a game
~Morchaint.:geek:

Eat Dessert first, Life is uncertain.
I didn't do it, Nobody saw me do it, and you can't Prove anything! :P

Sarone

Post by Sarone » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:56 am

That's a pretty good list. Have you tried 4.0 (tried it, hated it, not really looking to go back to it)

Hmm. Depends on the system. The classes you presented are pretty good. The only problem I have (and have had with regular D&D) is the lack of character development as well as forcing someone down a particular path. Nothing wrong with that, just pretty limited. How is GURPs? I never tried that system before.

David
Site Admin

Post by David » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:13 am

Personally I've always preferred skill-based progression rather than pre-defined classes.

mangaka2170

Post by mangaka2170 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:38 am

Same. D&D is fun for a night of dungeon looting and monster slaying, but it plays too much like a video game for my tastes. This is why my top three systems are (in no particular order) White Wolf's first World of Darkness system (Mortals can apply to anyone, but the best of those are Werewolf and Vampire), Dream Pod 9's Silhouette system (I'm a fan of the Jovian Chronicles setting) and West End Games' Star Wars D6 system (2nd edition revised is still the best Star Wars RPG ever made).

That in mind, I would advise a setting hack of WoD Mortals (with modified Vampiric Disciplines to represent augs) to do Crimson Dark. Ship stats can be as simple as speed, soak dice, damage levels and weapon stats. Of course, there would need to be differing scales, as there's no way a handgun will take out a battleship, or a fighter withstanding a direct hit from a cruiser's main gun. So, I propose character, vehicle (in case there are ground vehicles), fighter and starship scales (the ratios being suitably large).

Thoughts?
Avid reader of CD since 2007

Creator, writer, penciler, inker, colorist, letterer, editor and publisher of Frontier: 2170 (63 pages and counting! ;D)

Froggy the Great

Post by Froggy the Great » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:06 am

Savage Worlds is just made for this sort of thing.

Dhraakellian
Location: Earth, 3 Sol System, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe

Post by Dhraakellian » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:35 am

Yeah, Savage Worlds is what I'd suggest too (largely due to the fact that it's what I know).

I've heard that the Cortex system (mentioned by the original poster for its use in the Firefly and BSG RPGs) has a lot of mechanical similarities with SW, but I haven't looked at it personally.
Some pithy statement goes here.

AaronLee

Post by AaronLee » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:42 am

I actually hacked apart what I knew from a number of systems to make a vehicle and character based RPG. You basically had "lifespan brackets" that ran from birth to clinical death/mind upload (depending on what you chose.) The brackets lasted varying lengths and, after you went through the development/childhood stages, you took career brackets that gave you a paying job/skills/connections. Whatever your latest one was determined where you started the game.

The entire system was skill rather than class based, you could even buy skills and quirks if you wanted to go super-custom.

As per differing scales, I did it like this; hand weapons worked on a primarily d6 and d10 scale of damage with accuracies (with targeting add-ons like scopes, virtual-reality pippers and the like) was around +3. Big guns, though, were around the d20 scale (a 250mm railgun takes 3 seconds to fire and does 3d20 damage.) However, default accuracy goes down to around -7 for the artillery-scale stuff.

Everything has an SM so humans are small targets (+1) while ships can be almost +10. Ships/heavy vehicles also have no less than 15 and usually up to 25 armor / damage reduction. So yeah, no handgun could punch through there. It could hit it hands down, sure, but what's the use?