Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
skythorn

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by skythorn » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:49 am

Lovely, I chuckled at that nice little interplay 'did you push the thing?' - ' I pushed the thing?' -

Clearly the command 'heave too' worked a little too well - the whole ship heaved from and stopped dead.

I love it when a well nuanced word of command prevents a spaceship from operating correctly. It is a trope ( I hate that word, why is it called that, a well worn plot device it is not, it's an essential part of storytelling, you can't twist all the available plots in the same way ) but think of it like this, a new car, out of the car yard, stalls once or twice when you first set it on the freeway. Especially when it is a sports car, you stall all the time, temperamental things they are. Sporty scar needs some scar tissue, it may get some shortly.

or a push start.

Are we coming to the end of Chapter 11?

spacebender

Post by spacebender » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:09 pm

Very suspenseful! Where is Whisper? I'm going to be on the edge of my seat until the next panel! Like others, I fondly recalled the Millenium Falcon's bumpy departure (1980), and the "parking brake" induced delay of the Starship Enterprise (2009). Also, the "thing" thing is a delightful touch of humor.

mist.archon

Post by mist.archon » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:22 pm

LOL at the Empire Strikes Back reference. R2-D2? Nope. Asteroid field to hide in? Nope, nope. Wisecrack from rebel princess? Kicking the ship? We'll see, we'll see.

That interplay on the bridge, do I sense a bit of West Wing influence?

I imagine no one's thought to wonder exactly where those "quick-escape" coordinates lead to? Hopefully it's not in the middle of Syndicate space...

javcs

Post by javcs » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:00 pm

Heh. Awesome. She didn't press all the buttons necessary to jump.

Odds on this jump landing them at a dangerous location?

stads

Post by stads » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:29 pm

ow nice option with the wing

but if there gone keep the ship i think it might be a good idea to change that wing to perm open status couse with there luck they wil get shot the wing wil get stuck in closed position and then they cant run

Mercy Machine

Post by Mercy Machine » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:30 pm

Variable geometry stabilisers eh? Perhaps so that Scarborough can dock in some sort of tunnel back on Golgotha? Incidentally, Mensk plainly had no poetry in his soul. How could you name a ship that looks like that after an unfashionable sea-side town in the north of England? Something like Peregrine or Kestrel or Tercel would be more appropriate.

"The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not mov'd with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils."

A fitting epitaph.

Sarone

Post by Sarone » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:03 pm

Wow. That ship looks cooler.

David
Site Admin

Post by David » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:15 pm

Mercy Machine wrote:Variable geometry stabilisers eh? Perhaps so that Scarborough can dock in some sort of tunnel back on Golgotha? Incidentally, Mensk plainly had no poetry in his soul. How could you name a ship that looks like that after an unfashionable sea-side town in the north of England? Something like Peregrine or Kestrel or Tercel would be more appropriate.

"The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not mov'd with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils."

A fitting epitaph.
The closed position if for docking and inter-stellar travel, the open position is for sub-stellar travel. Larger, more prominent stabilisers are more effective, but by increasing the ship's profile they also add to calculation time. There's a balance to be struck between designing stabilisers so that they are effective at sub-stellar jumps (which are much slower and more complicated due to the abundance of gravitic bodies) without being so large and elaborate that they make inter-stellar jumps slower and more complicated than necessary. Variable stabilisers are a more elegant solution.

H.M.S. Scarborough was one of the ships of the First Fleet which brought the first convicts to Australia over two hundred years ago. I am descended from a convict named John Nicols who was transported aboard the Scarborough.

When the first colonial fleet was sent to Tau Ceti in 2163, one of the ships was named Scarborough by another descendent of John Nichols (there are actually quite a few of us out there) - and Mensk was descended from one of the colonists aboard that ship. Mensk was always very proud that his family was descended from the First Colonists.

Vile

Post by Vile » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:40 pm

David wrote:The closed position if for docking and inter-stellar travel, the open position is for sub-stellar travel. Larger, more prominent stabilisers are more effective, but by increasing the ship's profile they also add to calculation time. There's a balance to be struck between designing stabilisers so that they are effective at sub-stellar jumps (which are much slower and more complicated due to the abundance of gravitic bodies) without being so large and elaborate that they make inter-stellar jumps slower and more complicated than necessary. Variable stabilisers are a more elegant solution.
Good to know, good to know. ;)

So our heroines (and hero) are not out of the woods yet in spite of that jump. Well, not out of the star system, anyway.

scassett

Post by scassett » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:23 am

Best ship so far!!!