Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
Ilmari

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by Ilmari » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:48 pm

Reference hunting...

I'm not sure, but the first thing I thought when I read Whisper's line in panel 2 - before even knowing there was a reference on the page - was Vila Restal from Blake's 7: In Season 1, episode 6 ("Seek-Locate-Destroy") he distracts a couple of mooks by wandering up to them and, quite nonchalantly declaring :
"Excuse me wandering about your premises. I'm an escaped prisoner. I was a thief, but recently, I've become interested in sabotage, in a small way, you understand - nothing too ambitious. I hate vulgarity, don't you? Anyway, I've come to blow something up. What do you think would be most suitable?"
At which point Blake shows up and knocks the guards out.

I've memorized that line word-for-word. So maybe I'm wrong, and I just have that stuck in my head, but it seems like a good guess.

-A.

Lokekar Kra

Post by Lokekar Kra » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:02 pm

We are assuming they want the guard to know about the doorway behind him. His assisted abilities might be blocked from knowing that there is a passage behind him, or he has been instructed to ignore it. Also he is a prison guard by the looks of it, not one of the marines that probably have all the aforementioned advantages. Not to mention with Whispers abilities I would not be surprised if she could "disappear" from most forms of detection.
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost

David
Site Admin

Post by David » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:10 pm

Ilmari wrote:Reference hunting...

I'm not sure, but the first thing I thought when I read Whisper's line in panel 2 - before even knowing there was a reference on the page - was Vila Restal from Blake's 7: In Season 1, episode 6 ("Seek-Locate-Destroy") he distracts a couple of mooks by wandering up to them and, quite nonchalantly declaring :
"Excuse me wandering about your premises. I'm an escaped prisoner. I was a thief, but recently, I've become interested in sabotage, in a small way, you understand - nothing too ambitious. I hate vulgarity, don't you? Anyway, I've come to blow something up. What do you think would be most suitable?"

I've memorized that line word-for-word. So maybe I'm wrong, and I just have that stuck in my head, but it seems like a good guess.

-A.
Ahh, I'd forgotten about that. A good guess, but incorrect.

davel23

Post by davel23 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:42 am

Ilmari wrote:Reference hunting...

-A.

My thoughts exactly, I even registered just to see if anyone had guessed that and if not to post it. But I guess we were both wrong.

Trinten

Post by Trinten » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:21 am

Whispers line is from an old episode of Dr. Who!

The Doctor walks in, announces himself witht he same line, and then smashes two guards heads together to knock them out!

... yes, I registered just to post that. I'm a geek.

Knowles2

Post by Knowles2 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:10 am

Well I know the lines from somewhere.

I would not of thought it would be from the old Doctor Who series as I have never watch any of them before.
But then again they are good lines so I would not be surprise if they have shown up in numerous programmes over the years.

tau.ceti

Post by tau.ceti » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:46 am

Ok, I think the reference is from Doctor Who where the Dr. (as played by Sylvester Macoy) tries to infiltrate a subterannean level in one of the stories whose name I can't quite remember. Anyone want to pick the episode and maybe share the Prize? (Is it a million billion pounds as per the Goodies?)

whitelaughter

Post by whitelaughter » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:50 am

Trinten wrote:Whispers line is from an old episode of Dr. Who!

The Doctor walks in, announces himself witht he same line, and then smashes two guards heads together to knock them out!

Yeah, ditto.

whitelaughter

Post by whitelaughter » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:53 am

Lokekar Kra wrote:We are assuming they want the guard to know about the doorway behind him. His assisted abilities might be blocked from knowing that there is a passage behind him, or he has been instructed to ignore it.
Precisely. Security has a very high turn over, and "static" (standing in the same spot doing nothing) is scutwork for new/untested guards. By the time he's cleared to know about the passage, he'll be doing more serious work.

David
Site Admin

Post by David » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:10 pm

Trinten wrote:Whispers line is from an old episode of Dr. Who!

Bingo.

The episode is "Genesis of the Daleks", one of my all-time favourites.