Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
CygnusX1

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by CygnusX1 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:39 am

What?! No windows? Why, then, how do you know you're in space at all?
By having computers inform it about you.

I know it looks like playing with numbers on computers screen and certinly wouldn't make an interesting comic, but that is likely how I imagine space battles, should they ever occur.
You weapons will be able to fire at your opponent millions of kilometers away. You will have to compute a bearing for a target which is too small to see by a naked eye.
Similarly goes the case if you want to just travel, you plan your flight tragectory and speed... on computers.
Even some local maneouvers (e.g. docking) will be better done by computers.

And last but not least, the main bridge better be somewhere deep inside the ship, not on the front where it could be easily targetted by enemy fire or struck by some random high-velocity meteoroids (e.g. like in the beginning of "Pitch Black")

So what windows are good for, except for being a structural weakness and a possible source of radiation coming from outside (e.g. stars, other ship engines, nuclear explosion, etc)

Dhraakellian
Location: Earth, 3 Sol System, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe

Post by Dhraakellian » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:28 pm

Vile wrote:What?! No windows? Why, then, how do you know you're in space at all?

You could be stuck in someone's basement! :o
...Or in a low-budget SF film?
Some pithy statement goes here.

Vile

Post by Vile » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:01 pm

Okay, that statement wasn't meant to be taken seriously. Computer screens and (no bang) you're dead is also how I envisage real space combat should we ever get that far. But I know it is very, very difficult to make truly "hard" SF interesting at the same time, and impossible to make it as interesting as "somewhat soft" SF. Ships with windows look cool, and looking out of ships through windows looks cool. That's why we like CD - because it looks cool.

Well, and it's a damn good tale. Image

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:48 am

That's why we like CD - because it looks cool.
Yes, definetly!

I really wonder how Daniel will react to what Whisper just said. I can imagine some believers could interpret it as a sort of "attack" against the God, some could be even offended, although her statement is damn true.

Dhraakellian
Location: Earth, 3 Sol System, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe

Post by Dhraakellian » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:55 pm

CygnusX1 wrote:I really wonder how Daniel will react to what Whisper just said. I can imagine some believers could interpret it as a sort of "attack" against the God, some could be even offended, although her statement is damn true.
I find your choice of profanity interesting in context.

If Daniel or Whisper are also fans of certain classic literature as the Wards are, she could bring up the "somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps" line.

Far from getting into a debate about Just War theory, I'd say that one person's life is definitely worth another man's lower leg (especially in an age of ubiquitous and high-quality prosthetic augmentation).

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:57 pm

It is probably because in my life I stumbled on few people who, when sense even remote attack on their believes, loose all reason or context and focus only on that subject.
I'd say that one person's life is definitely worth another man's lower leg
Totally agree.
Although I think Daniel is also aware that he risked all other crew's life to save Whisper.
Risking your own life to save someone is bravery, but risking whole ship, especially when you are not in command - that may be interpreted as selfishness.
Now he has a dillema, what was it? And why did he do it? Would he behave the same way if Hal and Whisper were exchanged?

Vile

Post by Vile » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:18 pm

CygnusX1 wrote:Would he behave the same way if Hal and Whisper were exchanged?
Heh, would anybody? :twisted:

Dhraakellian

Post by Dhraakellian » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:56 am

CygnusX1 wrote:
It is probably because in my life I stumbled on few people who, when sense even remote attack on their believes, loose all reason or context and focus only on that subject.
I was referring more to the specific choice of profanity, not the use of profanity at all.
CygnusX1 wrote:Would he behave the same way if Hal and Whisper were exchanged?
Answering with another question, would Whisper have moved to strand Hal on the Prospero?

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:08 pm

I was referring more to the specific choice of profanity
Sorry, I don't understand you then... :( Could you elaborate?
Answering with another question, would Whisper have moved to strand Hal on the Prospero?
Good point, but I doubt Daniel is currently asking that one to himself, while "why have I done it?" and "would I do the same for someone else?" might go around in his head.

Lokekar Kra

Post by Lokekar Kra » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:07 pm

More to the core of it a doctor swears an oath to "do no harm" generally. So that throws a bit of a wrench in his works. When a person holds a certain belief and then acts against that belief he/she has to question if he/she really believes it at all. Is he/she a hypocrite in his/her own eyes. Did he/she enjoy it. Having done it is he/she less or more likely to do it again. This is where actually hearing the tone of the dialog before he shot Hal would help. We would know if he was panicky, calm, angry etc. As a doctor I am a bit surprised he has not already recognized that sometime you have to do some harm to achieve a much greater good, like amputating an infected limb. In my thoughts that applies here. The end might not justify the means, but that does not mean you are always going to be left with perfect means.

When Hal returns it will be interesting to find out which side he will be on. I see him either seeking revenge or helping in an attempt to tell Dan he has forgiven him but will not admit such. I know not very Hal like.

He is referring to you using "damn" specifically as it has religious connotations and originally came from condemn, I think.
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost