Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
David
Site Admin

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by David » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:13 pm

\m/_ (>_<) _\m/ wrote:Are you ever going to do any epic space battle? If you were, would you actually tell us or make us wait to see?
I don't think I'm spoiling anything by saying that yes, there are more epic space battles to come (Yes, I said "more", did you forget about White-Rim?). You'll need to be patient though - as much as I'd love to throw in something with lots of explosions to keep things exciting, I'd rather tell a good story and let the explosions come naturally :)

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:27 am

Current page: not enough stars!
Frankly, in the space, there are much more stars than there are nebulas. I think?
On the last page however:
- you say they jump to the edge of the system... I understand then they are not on the edge yet, but we have never seen a "sun" star!
- why there are no stars in the black, the region where is no nebula?

Sorry for complaining again, but that seemed a bit bizzare and unrealistic...

Draelun

Post by Draelun » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:52 pm

Are you ever going to do any epic space battle? If you were, would you actually tell us or make us wait to see?
Distant Thunder comes to mind - epic space battle. :)

Draelun

Post by Draelun » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:04 pm

Current page: not enough stars!
Frankly, in the space, there are much more stars than there are nebulas. I think?
Yes there are more stars than nebulae. David obviously knows where the pretty sights are. ;) And nebulae are many light years wide - they are huge! Its not remarkable that there could be solar systems with a nebula backdrop, given that stars normally form from nebulae. It depends on the light sources as to how bright a star needs to be to be detected on the retina (depending on the size of the pupil too of course). With the bright nebula there I'd not expect to see stars through the nebula.

And the nebula can obscure stars too - and its not unusual to have a dark nebula associated with a shining one (eg the horsehead nebula). That explains dark gaps with no stars.
On the last page however:
- you say they jump to the edge of the system... I understand then they are not on the edge yet, but we have never seen a "sun" star!
The ships have been lit from a direction not originating in the nebula. So presumably they are close enough to a star to be lit by that. I for one am happy to look at the nebula beyond the star system rather than the star in the system.

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:09 am

With the bright nebula there I'd not expect to see stars through the nebula.
Not through but next to it, where the nebula ends, there is just darkness... That was my main objection (page 10.17)
And nebulae are many light years wide - they are huge! Its not remarkable that there could be solar systems with a nebula backdrop, given that stars normally form from nebulae.
Yes, but most places we visited was next to some nebulae (not the same single one). These are: Threshold, Espenson Station, White Rim, Golgotha, Katsulas Expanse and Fontana Station.
The places without the nebula were: the Danzig encounter, Aristarchus Four (the Katherine's Glance encounter) and the Prospero encounter.
At no page (please correct me if I am wrong, not sure about that) have we seen "Sun" of any kind.

One could conclude that space is pritty and there are lots of nebulas out there, but most of the time - space is black, cold and uninteresting (at least from visual-light point of view).

I don't say that I don't like the nebulas in this comic. They are pritty and make the whole story much more colorful.
It's just that this does not match the real space.

P.S. I remember seeing a map of the region where all the events are taking place. Do you remember where it was?

Lokekar Kra

Post by Lokekar Kra » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:46 am

And here is where artistic license comes into play. On a more pragmatic level there are touristic reasons for being close to said nebulae, not to mention possible corporate and military advantages of being near one.
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost

see317

Post by see317 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:30 pm

Or simply for morale purposes.
Can you imagine being stuck on a space station for months, or years with your only view to the outside consisting of bleak, infinite, nothingness?

This is the leading cause of space madness.

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:44 pm

This is the leading cause of space madness.
I doubt they would place a station tens of light years off the desired location so that some people might not get sick.
FTL, although fast, cannot be cheap!
with your only view to the outside consisting of bleak, infinite, nothingness
Then simply don't put the windows to the outside at all. It is a structural weakness anyway... Very bad for combat vehicles...

Vile

Post by Vile » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:49 pm

What?! No windows? Why, then, how do you know you're in space at all?

You could be stuck in someone's basement! :o

jrtweeter

Post by jrtweeter » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:52 pm

When Jesus said those who take up the sword could die by the sword, He didn't say it was wrong, just don't expect invincibility. And man's ideas of when to take up the sword are still usually man's ideas, not necessarily God's plan. The founding fathers of America, and those who lead America into WWII believed in the just war theory, and so do I.

Excellent work with this strip! Keep up the good work!

Aslan is not a tame lion, but He is good.