Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
sassafras

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by sassafras » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:48 pm

Dhraakellian wrote:
Mercy Machine wrote:It's only a flesh-wound!
My guess is that there's gonna be some interrogation.

...Bushwacked, anyone?
I would just love it if Hal, with his leg all patched up, did a Jayne imitation and just sat there drumming his fingers...

gptiede

Post by gptiede » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:06 am

Just a note on shadows in space from a card carrying astrophysicist.

Lighting in space far from any particular star would be very similar to lighting
on a totally clear night on Earth when the Moon is not up. It would not be totally dark.
The stars would provide enough light to see, but just barely. Since the light is
coming more or less equally from all directions there would be no noticeable shadows.
In this regard is would be similar to a totally overcast day on Earth, albeit no were
near as bright. Since the ambient starlight is so dim, any nearby light source
(star ship drive, weapons fire or hit, or even a window into a lit interior of a ship)
would seem bright and would cast shadows.

I am not an artist at all, and am often amazed at the results that are producible
with modern artistic software. So I don't mean to give any artistic advice, I just
wanted to comment on your comment to the 9/21/09 page.

Thank you for all your effort and the engaging story.

Sincerely,
Dr. Glenn Tiede

Sarone

Post by Sarone » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:36 pm

Now that's the cavalry. Hope that Daimyo puts enough hurt on that destroyer.

Looking at the way the ship is oriented, the Daimyo has the Vashnir in it's sights and more than ready to put a beat down on. Unless the Vashnir has really good armor. Hope it doesn't try to fire that lance.

Mercy Machine

Post by Mercy Machine » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:29 pm

Let's hope it's the cavalry, and not more injuns!

cbhacking

Post by cbhacking » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:58 pm

Can't say I expected to be *happy* to see a ship like that... I wonder if they can pick up Niobe's surrender call? I assume they'd engage the Helikaon anyhow, but it's possible they end up considering Niobe to be an allied ship.

There's also the question of what they're doing out there. Tracking the ship Vaegyr's sister was on? Catching a distress call? Following the Helikaon? Or just a random encounter?

I love it... great tension, and as always beautiful art. The blur of the arriving ship is excellent!

eli

Post by eli » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:09 am

Hi Dave,

Just checked back for the first time in a couple of weeks. Nope, you aren't forgotten.

CD has it's pride of place on my FF toolbar, and gets a regular dust off.

Good to see new content. So good in fact I signed up to comment.

Keep it coming matey, R.L not withstanding.

Regards,

Eli.

SecondReversal

Post by SecondReversal » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:41 am

Afternoon, gentlemen - Been a fan of the saga for a number of years now, but previously was unmotivated to join the discussion. Alas, I find with this last turn of events portrayed on page 35 I cannot hold my tongue.

David, you do good work. You design cool starships, you write fairly believable characters, and you've got a pretty solid story plotted out so far. I've been quite intrigued with the happenings surrounding the Prospero and its crew (especially the Darani coverup), and have been avidly awaiting each new page. With the appearance of the R.A.S.F. Helikaon, and the subsequent discovery of their involvement in the massacre, I found myself only more engaged - I was, to borrow the phrase, literally on the edge of my seat, especially once it was clear the Darani had no intention of leaving evidence of their misdeeds. Then came the Shot Heard 'Round The World, which was fantastic on so many levels, and the frantic escape. The Niobe thrusting away desperately, the Vashnir's turrets tracking and firing, first blood drawn from the Niobe's hull...

Then went the starboard Thruster Array, followed quickly by the entire Stabilizer Assembly, and the Niobe's death roll. I was shocked. I was apalled. I was entranced. This was the tension I had hoped for, the high drama, the excitement. Relatively few people kill off their protagonists, and fewer do it well - I would argue that the Niobe, while not a living, breathing member of the cast, was just as vital to the cohesion of the crew, just as central to the story as Kari or Hal or Vaegyr. To see her in such distress cut deeply. I was on the edge of my seat, frantic to know the fate of our intrepid crew and their homely boat.

... And then you took that drama, and the tension, and blew it all in a big, slimy wad of Cirin Ex Machina. To say that I am disappointed by this turn of events would be... something of an understatement. A Cirin Alliance warship, Daimyo class, jumps in just In The Nick Of Time™ to save our wayward heroes from the predations of the vilified Darani Republic. That Cruiser just so happened to jump in from the middle of nowhere at the exact most opportune moment, on the most opportune vector, ready to cripple the Helikaon with a barrage from its Heracles cannons and Save The Day™? Of course, they are replying to the same distress call that Larissa picked up on, and are thus justified in appearance... But to me, it simply feels a bit cheap.

Bah.

There are so many ways in which this could have been done to better effect! (The most attractive to me, for what it's worth, would be the destruction of Niobe and some other Deus-esque mechanic to have the crew survive... A lifeboat of some sort hidden in the resulting debris cloud or some other such contrivance, for example - Can't say that I've thought about it overmuch, yet) I'm certainly not going to tell you how to write your story - I dabble in writing myself, and find nothing so offensive as someone telling me the direction my stories should take - I simply thought I would say that this was a rather low point for me in the tale.

I don't know, what does the rest of the forum think? Perhaps I'm the only one here who finds this particular plot device distasteful, or perhaps I'm simply being an ass - I leave it to you to decide.

Anyway, I just wanted to throw my two cents into the pot about this last page - Take from it what you will. I look forward to the next page, and the continuing adventures of Vaegyr et al. Damn fine work so far, especially in the effects department (I love the heat dissipation effect on that cloud of atomized particles drifting away from the Niobe on page 34, for example).

Cheers and have a good one, eh?

- Rob

-=-=-
Edited for a bit of clarity on the Daimyo's appearance

Dhraakellian
Location: Earth, 3 Sol System, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe

Post by Dhraakellian » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:58 pm

SecondReversal wrote:... And then you took that drama, and the tension, and blew it all in a big, slimy wad of Cirin Ex Machina. To say that I am disappointed by this turn of events would be... something of an understatement. A Cirin Alliance warship, Daimyo class, jumps in just In The Nick Of Time™ to save our wayward heroes from the predations of the vilified Darani Republic. That Cruiser just so happened to jump in from the middle of nowhere at the exact most opportune moment, on the most opportune vector, ready to cripple the Helikaon with a barrage from its Heracles cannons and Save The Day™? Of course, they are replying to the same distress call that Larissa picked up on, and are thus justified in appearance... But to me, it simply feels a bit cheap.
I don't think it's quite *that* contrived. If you'll recall, back on page 8.29, Vaegyr's sister mentioned a "kind of complicated" plan to buy them some more time. I'm guessing she needed that terminal access to call in some reinforcements (bringing up the question of whether the RASF were right about some of the extracurricular goings-on aboard the Prospero).

You may have a point about the precision of the Daimyo's entrance. Jumping directly into ramming trajectory in a fight where you can't know far ahead of time where the target will be seems slightly far-fetched. Maybe the Daimyos just have newer, faster jump-calc computers and could use information relayed by Vaegyr's sister to quickly jump in from a nearby location, but that still requires prediction of the Helikaon's position. Are in-transit FTL course corrections possible? feasible?
Some pithy statement goes here.

David
Site Admin

Post by David » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:33 pm

Dhraakellian wrote:You may have a point about the precision of the Daimyo's entrance. Jumping directly into ramming trajectory in a fight where you can't know far ahead of time where the target will be seems slightly far-fetched. Maybe the Daimyos just have newer, faster jump-calc computers and could use information relayed by Vaegyr's sister to quickly jump in from a nearby location, but that still requires prediction of the Helikaon's position. Are in-transit FTL course corrections possible? feasible?
It has long been established that the Cirins have exceptionally precise jump technology.

As for the "Cirin Ex Machina" comment - keep reading.

cbhacking

Post by cbhacking » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:25 pm

While the timing *IS* quite remarkable, I don't mind nearly so much... considering the location (within the galaxy) and the distress call, it's all but inevitable that a Cirin vessel would show up. It being a warship is only slightly less likely.

They do have impeccable timing... but would the story have actually been any better had that ship shown up earlier? It would have been *different* to be sure - two opposing warships (one with a secret it would kill to keep) and an armed but apparently civilian vessel in possession of those secrets - but the tension, and severe limitation of Niobe's options imposed by that crippling barrage, has me "on the edge of my seat" still. For one thing, Niobe's hardly out of the woods yet - even assuming it's possible to jump with so much damage, they are sitting ducks until they re-run the calculations. Then there's the minor fact that whether the newcomer knows it or not, Niobe's crew are technically their enemies (or at least were recently).

Oh, it's not over yet, not at all. I anticipate an excellent fight between the two warships, but almost anything is possible - and I'm definitely not passing judgment on "Cirin Ex Machina" until I see the next few pages. David's writing hasn't let me down yet!