Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
CygnusX1
Posts: 282
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:37 am

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by CygnusX1 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:49 pm

Heavy metal to block the path... clever!
With the engines disabled, Wisdom could not prevent it from happening.

Are we for a treat? A tasty shiny explosion next page?

I wonder how many souls on that ship. However, maybe they evacuated before ramming?

On a technical side - for a few pages I noticed that panels that show the destroyer from behind have absolutely no stars in the background.
I am afraid, this feels empty and incomplete. Is this intentional?

charles
Posts: 148
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:54 pm

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by charles » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:39 pm

I'd be curious to know if the Tempest will be completely destroyed or just disabled. The other Cirin ships might even lend rescue support.

Still, plenty of people likely to die from the collision. I'm a little surprised they didn't fire guns on it but I guess they figured it would just cause it to break up into chunks that would be less likely to stop in the colission.

...Where is Suspphira? They noted she would be late turning up if the Cirin fleet had been her so she's expected but something's caught or delayed her arrival.
Please visit, read and update the CRIMSON DARK WIKI
SPAMMER Pelts: 83

Knowles2
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:31 pm

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by Knowles2 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:08 am

charles wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:39 pm
I'd be curious to know if the Tempest will be completely destroyed or just disabled. The other Cirin ships might even lend rescue support.

Still, plenty of people likely to die from the collision. I'm a little surprised they didn't fire guns on it but I guess they figured it would just cause it to break up into chunks that would be less likely to stop in the colission.

...Where is Suspphira? They noted she would be late turning up if the Cirin fleet had been her so she's expected but something's caught or delayed her arrival.
I don't entire trust Suspphira. I suspect Wisdom may have supporters out there who believe in their cause and don't need to be control by Wisdom. This might all just be one big distraction by Wisdom.

CygnusX1
Posts: 282
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:37 am

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by CygnusX1 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:48 am

Knowles2 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:08 am
I don't entire trust Suspphira. I suspect Wisdom may have supporters out there who believe in their cause and don't need to be control by Wisdom. This might all just be one big distraction by Wisdom.
I think it's something different. She is looking for a power vacuum to seize control over something and regain her power.
If the fight is happening here she will go somewhere else, where the ships are gone. Simple ;)

LeonT
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue May 22, 2018 12:18 am

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by LeonT » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:08 am

LeonT wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:17 am
CygnusX1 wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:29 pm
Being on a collision course is always difficult to deal with. Even if you take down the ship, there will be a big pile of junk that is still on that same collision course.... Inertia will do the rest.
And the station probably does not have enough thrust to dodge the bullet...
Unless the captain of that tempest understands suicidal physics
Called it! :D

CygnusX1
Posts: 282
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:37 am

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by CygnusX1 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:22 pm

I don't think this is over, Mr Creed?

charles
Posts: 148
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:54 pm

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by charles » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:17 pm

CygnusX1 wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:22 pm
I don't think this is over, Mr Creed?
Yes, I'm waiting to see if he breaks cover to try something. We saw them shut down Nargun station with a virus AI but that was a civilian installation and this is a military installation of a much larger, and likely advanced, nation. Even so, it's all kind of gone to hell now. Stations aren't destroyed, enemy factions aren't simply shooting each other because they have opportunity, Niobids are alive, etc. So even if they somehow blow the place right now, it's gonna attract some deep investigation.

...Speaking of Nargun, I wonder if we'd see bodies floating among the debris if we looked close enough. David's not one to shy away from the reality of these things... Particularly if you understand the name of the comic.
Please visit, read and update the CRIMSON DARK WIKI
SPAMMER Pelts: 83

CorvusCorax
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:37 pm

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by CorvusCorax » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:36 am

The armor and superstructure of those military ships is incredibly tough. I'm impressed.

That ruined a few sections in each of the ships, but they might actually both be salvageable, and it looks like the tempest even remains manoeuvrable.

Let's hope the controller of the Cirin ship doesn't blow the reactor or something stupid like that. Although I doubt it. It would be needless waste of life without serving a direct purpose for the collective. They can't ram the station any more.

I wonder about the crew of the cirin flagship. Enough of them might have sufficient augmentations to survive a few minutes without air. If so, getting help to that ship might be even more paramount than to the tempest, which might have enough medical and support resources internally to rescue their wounded and evacuate their breached sections.

charles
Posts: 148
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:54 pm

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by charles » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:56 am

CorvusCorax wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:36 am
I wonder about the crew of the cirin flagship. Enough of them might have sufficient augmentations to survive a few minutes without air. If so, getting help to that ship might be even more paramount than to the tempest, which might have enough medical and support resources internally to rescue their wounded and evacuate their breached sections.
Even then, the Controller probably only deemed it necessary to vent the bridge. Not that it would have cared about the other lives on the ship if it was going to suicide ram the station to try and stop or delay the transmission anyway, but if there was more effort involved in venting the entire ship rather than just the bridge, I could imagine the controller not bothering to take the time.
Please visit, read and update the CRIMSON DARK WIKI
SPAMMER Pelts: 83

CorvusCorax
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:37 pm

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by CorvusCorax » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:17 pm

charles wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:56 am
CorvusCorax wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:36 am
I wonder about the crew of the cirin flagship. Enough of them might have sufficient augmentations to survive a few minutes without air. If so, getting help to that ship might be even more paramount than to the tempest, which might have enough medical and support resources internally to rescue their wounded and evacuate their breached sections.
Even then, the Controller probably only deemed it necessary to vent the bridge. Not that it would have cared about the other lives on the ship if it was going to suicide ram the station to try and stop or delay the transmission anyway, but if there was more effort involved in venting the entire ship rather than just the bridge, I could imagine the controller not bothering to take the time.
Fair point. On the other hand, personnel in engineering or the engine room could have tried to shut the ship down or manually override controls. The ship also seemingly didn't engage any weapons even when it was shot at (although they might all be controlled from the bridge).
Last but not least, typically you don't have any airlocks on the bridge of a ship - more distanced however, most airlocks and vents are probably too small to vent the atmosphere of a ship that size that quickly -- unless you open all the hatches inside and vent through hangar doors: You'd not only get the atmosphere out, the resulting massive airstream and rapid pressure loss would also render the crew incapacitated.

So while there is hope for the crew - at least in some sections of the ship, I'd rather stage rescue operations assuming the worst case.

Post Reply