Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
CygnusX1

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by CygnusX1 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:01 pm

FTL travel, fusion reactors, terraforming, and paradise worlds are pure fiction
Fusion reactors stand out from the others. Scientists are actively pursuing this, building prototypes with mixed results. I do believe fusion will become a valid option in our lifetime.

But even if that becomes accessible, it won't make our problems go away. We have many other sources of pollution. Big power plants - that the fusion reactors could replace - are only a minor source of the problem.
Moreover, other areas, such as waste problem - is not addressed by fusion at all.

CorvusCorax

Post by CorvusCorax » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:28 am

There already is a giant fusion reactor in the sky.

Fusion alone would not solve any problems that solar power can't already solve today without radiation and radioactive waste problems (Fusion reaction produce neutrons which will breed radioactive isotopes in the reactor containment and cooling system, so while the waste issue will be significantly less than with nuclear fission, its by no means "clean")

On the other hand, fusion reactors are a *must* for deep space exploration and intergalactic travel - or even just settling moons of the outer planets,

So while they wont solve earths energy problems, they might pave the way off earth :)

Matt_Bradock

Post by Matt_Bradock » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:09 pm

Sheesh. "Niobe II has more weapons than the old one" is an understatement. Old Niobe needed a sneak attack from Kari's Scimitar to deal with a single Marauder, and new Niobe just casually turned one into a cloud of debris with a single volley.

On another note, good to see you posting again Dave, I've been a long-time fan of Crimson Dark!

bobismeisbob

Post by bobismeisbob » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:38 am

Glad you're back and all safe!

Also I think you missed comic 25.09 (or mis-numbered this one) :)

NefariousDrO

Post by NefariousDrO » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:13 am

I've gotta say, those marauders are cool-looking ships. I really like the design, especially for this second series because it looks like you really updated the details, etc.

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:29 am

CorvusCorax wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:28 am
There already is a giant fusion reactor in the sky.
Haha, of course :)
but we need a controlled fusion, not just a fusion bomb that converts all its fuel as fast as possible.
CorvusCorax wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:28 am
Fusion alone would not solve any problems that solar power can't already solve today without radiation and radioactive waste problems (Fusion reaction produce neutrons which will breed radioactive isotopes in the reactor containment and cooling system, so while the waste issue will be significantly less than with nuclear fission, its by no means "clean")
I disagree. Yes, being not entirely clean may be an issue.
But fusion reactors can produce much more power compared to what can be produced from solar power plant of similar size (and probably any other kind of power plat, clean or not). That has a chance to solve a lot of problems in the domain of energy production.

But we have other problems too, as I pointed out...

David
Site Admin

Post by David » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:40 pm

bobismeisbob wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:38 am
Also I think you missed comic 25.09 (or mis-numbered this one) :)
Well this is embarrassing. I uploaded the wrong page, so you've all had a sneak peek of tomorrow's page. 25.09 is up now.

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:49 am

wow... that is indeed a lot of firepower!

CorvusCorax

Post by CorvusCorax » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:39 pm

These marouders are sitting ducks with their reliance on frontal lances and low manouverability. They'd be great against large freighters or capital ships that can't move away, but this, this is slaughter.

Niobe shouldn"t fly away, the 2 remaining ones would complete the turn and catch up. But two more passes with guns blazing...

What wouldmake the marouders useful is turn them into drone carriers. 20 armed bots, spread around the mothership, on board AI only doing defensive evasives and stationkeeping, getting its fire commands and fire vectors from the mothership, while in turn relaying sensor data to it. This works around the "no smart armed AI" because they are effectively just distributed slightly overpowered point defense turrets. With a manned fire control.computer on the marouder for fast accurate predictive targeting.

The distributed sensor array would greatly enhance passive sensor resolution, and would make it a deadly mistake to get close enough to the marouder that its slow turn rate becomes an issue because you'd get shot at from all sides. At long distance the marouder would bring its frontal guns to bear. It'd be a formidable foe for its size and class.

CorvusCorax

Post by CorvusCorax » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:46 pm

Come to think of it, such a system would be expensive.
You need powerful, light, smallscale reactors or comparable power sources (ultra caps, batteries) on each of them to supply the turrets, since they are not connected to a ships main reactor. The power doesn't have to last long, unlike autonomous freeflying turrets for station defense they are not deployed for months on end, as they could recharge or refuel at the end of the engagement with their marouder mothership, but they need to pack quite a punch to be useful. Each of them.

This isn't something I could see the collective implement. Their preference for projectile weapons would make this unsuitable, as throwing mass around implies recoil. Since the turrets would be too light to absorb that with momentum, like a large ship, they'd have to expend an equal amount of reaction impulse the other direction as they are generating with their ammo. Highly inefficient, since you now add propellant tanks and comparably large thrusters.

Missiles (as guided rockets) are also recoil-less but then you have the issue of limited ammunition supply and it gets even more expensive (also you could simply launch missiles by the mothership and have them spread out before getting a target coordinate - same effect)

But plasma turrets do make sense. low recoil, high yield, significant tactical advantage. If I were a pirate, had enough money, were flying a marouder, and were high enough up the ladder to "have enemies" - I'd get some drone-turrets. It's a well invested life insurance.

If you're just hunting prey, you simply don't deploy them, so they don't slow you down. If you get into an abush or someone jumps on you, you deploy the field of turrets to cover your back. And if things get real bad, you can set the turrets to auto (although that might be an illegal upgrade, but hey ... pirate), jump out and leave them behind as a deadly nuisance