Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
cpuguy1

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by cpuguy1 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:50 pm

WHOA!!! :o
Very good start, Whisper. :) Now I sit back and wait to hear the bits and pieces of the rest of the story. :!:

Not knowing how Whisper thinks :?: ... just sort of ... with her Space Poodles train of thought. :| Yet, I have a good idea she has important info about the other side and what it may have done and/or going to do. :!:

David
Site Admin

Post by David » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:29 am

TexasDex wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:20 pm
What are the specs of your new system? I just built a Ryzen 2600 desktop a few months ago.
New components:
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero (Wi-Fi)
32 GB DDR4 3000 RAM (replacing 32 GB of DDR3 that won't work in the new motherboard)

Old components carried forward:
Geforce GTX 1080 Ti
2x 6TB Mechanical HDs
1x 512 GB SSD

I'm having some noise issues and I've realised that my old power supply isn't up to scratch any more, so tomorrow I'm getting a 650W PSU and an AIO Liquid Cooler for the CPU.

This is my first AMD build. I've been Intel for a while, but the 2700X looked like great value for its multi-threading performance, and that'll help with my render times for CD in a big way.

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:33 am

I like the normal art style of Crimson Dark, but I also like seeing you experimenting with other styles as well :)
Good luck with this bottle episode!

jasales

Post by jasales » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:20 pm

The new art style for Whisper's presentation is beautiful, surprisingly nuanced and breathtaking.

cpuguy1

Post by cpuguy1 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:49 pm

HEY! :o My Phrase Books helped me get my questions across to the person I was talking to.
Yeah, found the bathrooms :oops: and pizza places :idea: with little or no trouble.
Yes, I did say books ... Spain Spanish, Egyptian and some Italian. Couple of time while in Naples, Italy and Rome, Italy, we had someone in our group who spoke Italian and we got around better. ;)
But an Aug of this caliper Whisper is talking about ... Hmm ... going to need a larger Phrase Book. :)

Felixscout

Post by Felixscout » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:47 pm

Regarding the idea of tyranny of the majority is the automatic result from direct democracy: I have a small quibble.

Yes, it certainly can be and often is. But it can also be interpreted in a non absolute fashion: checks and balances, multi level approval processes, or even rank voting. But the intent to put a brake on the system needs to be there from the outset.

By contrast, representative voting can present a seemingly more fair option. But it too has pitfalls that are very well known from the world around us: tyranny of the minority is one. This issue can be dealt with in system by using ranked choice voting, fair districting, and taking steps to ensure more equal participation and representation.

I know it's a story and this story is not about the political science of the future but I felt this needed to be brought up.

Also really digging on the art style here.

Cheers.

CorvusCorax

Post by CorvusCorax » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:28 am

[APPROVAL]
<me/>
[EXISTENCE]
<LANGUAGE>
(+Markup/)
(+Souri/)
</LANGUAGE>
(+Superior/)
(+Efficient/)
(+Cool/)
(+Deterministic/)
(-Ambigous/)
[/EXISTENCE]
(+Lots/)
[/APPROVAL]

CorvusCorax

Post by CorvusCorax » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:59 am

The problem with democracy in general and direct democracy in particular is that, while everyone is entitled to an oppinion and the right to vote, not everyone is capable of forming qualified oppinion.

On the contrary, experts with the knowledge and insight to form a qualified oppinion often are a minority, while the uninformed masses are easily manipulated by means of propaganda, targeted misinformation, FUD and polemism.

As such the system can easily be attacked by an adversarial agent with sufficient outreach, using low level stimulants including strong emotions such as fear, to trick a majority into misinformed oppinions, leading to non-justifyable voting outcomes.

This affects all mass voting be it direct ( Brexit ) or indirect ( US presidential election, Turkey, etc... )

Augmentation or widespread personal communication devices with tight interconnections ( aka social networks ) with unfiltered information flow make a society more vulnerable to such attacks than one with a more centralised information flow through redacted media.

The seemingly trivial solution, employed by China and others, to censor information flow is introducing a worse problem: A single point of failure through which an attacker can use the existing censorship infrastructure to manipulate the population arbitrarily, not just by injecting misleading propaganda but simultaneously surpressing the truth.

An ideal solution would be to limit voting only to individuals that have an informed oppinion, such as
- sufficient education and background knowledge on the topic
- sufficient intelligence and capacity to forsee the consequences
- sufficient access to relevant and acvurate information

However on many topics such groups of individuals would not represent the population well, as education and access to information is often strongly corelated with social status and sometimes racial- or immigration background. As such selfishness could lead such groups into making decisions that benefit themselves but not the majority of the population.

Similar can already be seen in political professions in representative forms of Democracy, where party members available as electable representatives do not actually represent the population but merely a political elite vulnerable to Bribary and influence from various lobbyists.

Maybe the best form of government would be a benevolent dictator in form of an artificial construct , designed in such a way to enforce the benefit of the many over the benefit of few at the expense of the majority.
Humans, history has shown repeatedly, cannot be trusted with this kind of power.

macnut

Post by macnut » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:40 am

I believe it was Winston Churchill who said, paraphrasing; "Democracy is not the best form of government. But other forms are worse."

Considering that it's human nature to look out for oneself and one's own at the expense of everyone else, democracy is the best form of government humans can come up with. We just need to improve the checks and balances and keep working on fixing the inequities in the system. At least until such time as we can come up with technology that does a better job. If we ever do; note that AIs in Crimson Dark seem to be virtually non-existent, and that's 27 centuries beyond our time.
The MacNut
Writer and Artist of The Vanguard, a space opera superhero webcomic.

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:32 am

An interesting case of a language barrier induced by the technology! I really like the take on this.
With the current explanation, I find it possible that Souri might not communicate much with the rest of the world not because they find the rest of the world inferior, but simply because communicating with them is inefficient, tiresome, and prone to translation errors.

A similar splitting can be seen nowadays in real world. For example, there are people who have Internet and those who don't. There are people who have a smartphone and those who don't. There are people who use Facebook/Instagram/Twitter and those who don't. In all these cases people who "don't" are often left behind by people who "do" just because of the efficiency of communication.

For example, I don't have Facebook account, but many of my friends do. So I am often left not invited for a party, etc. just because the invitation was sent via Facebook to their "circle of friends" (one click) and they didn't bother to write an outdated, regular e-mail just for me (several more clicks :P )