Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
CorvusCorax

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by CorvusCorax » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:36 am

"Copied a good portion of her neural block unto a quarantained partition"
O...K... wait a minute, did Whisper just make a dump of that girls brain just as she died?

The brains neural architecture is at least somewhat redundant. Some bits missing will cause sporadic but not necessarily irreversible amnesia.

But to decode those memories, you have to run the neural network in simulation. Aka upload her into a very capable neural processor of some sort, run some neural architecture equivalent of fsck. Put all I/O through a really good firewall, and then start her up.

"Hi. Welcome back. I have some bad news for you, you just died, and I transferred you to a virtual system. But that doesn't matter, you still know something you want to tell me, and now I can turn on or off as much virtual pain as you like. Much better, isn't it?"

NefariousDrO

Post by NefariousDrO » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:15 am

Daniel's clearly not happy with Whisper's rather cavalier attitude toward human lives of late. There's a good deal she needs to open up to him about, if she really wants to have a serious relationship with him. Given her history, I think it's a pretty fair bet that she's never had a close relationship to anyone except the caregiver during her hospital stay. She probably has no idea how to do it, and her instinct for keeping secrets is really working against her now. I'm curious as to how strongly Daniel wants it, after all of this. Is he going to confront her about her past and her seeming disregard of what he clearly feels are important moral lines? I'm looking forward to where it all goes.

dacolbourne

Post by dacolbourne » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:26 am

I think I'm with Whisper on this one. Concentrating your resources on helping the people you like is eminently practical. Daniel is a doctor. His altruistic sense is a sign he's a good one. whisper is not a doctor, and given her background he shouldn't expect her to view the universe the way he does.

Aegis J Hyena

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:35 am

Careful, Daniel. You don't want to make her angry. You wouldn't like her when she's angry, starts calling you Hal, and treats you as if you WERE Hal and how he deserved to be treated...

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:32 pm

Aegis J Hyena wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:35 am
Careful, Daniel. You don't want to make her angry. You wouldn't like her when she's angry, starts calling you Hal, and treats you as if you WERE Hal and how he deserved to be treated...
I wouldn't.
Whisper cares and respects Daniel and a healthy relation requires honesty.

cpuguy1

Post by cpuguy1 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:09 am

HOLY SMOKES! :o
I've done something like that to delay answering a radio call. :idea:
Key the mic, start talking, after 2-3 seconds unkey the mic, but keep talking as if I am still transmitting. :arrow:
Key the mic, continue with my report, after 3-4 seconds unkey the mic, keep talking. :arrow:
Key the mic, continue the report, or finish the report, then unkey the mic as if to wait for a response. :|

The distance and the hills/valleys terrain between main base and myself helped with the 'wool over the eyes'.
Was issued a better radio with-in 2 weeks. :shock: Couldn't pull that trick again. :x

CorvusCorax

Post by CorvusCorax » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:20 am

You forgot "half keying" the mic, so cause an intermittent/unclean trigfer resulting in an equally noisy intermittent carrier and a lot of ugly noise/scratching/crackling from the receiver.

Downside to that technique is, it really doesn't work anymore with digital transmission. Or would easily be detected because they register and display link quality.

What you can do is unscrew the antenna cable and play the same game on that side of the system - antenna connected, antenna disconnected, antenna half-ish connected, ... that also works with ethernet cables when you do a skype call or similar. Noone blames you, when video + audio just freeze intermittendly, and eventually just time-out ;)

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:07 pm

Oh, do take a break... this was quite a ride!

I wonder how viewership is doing? Did you reach the same audience as before? Or maybe better?
Because out of a few webcomics I am following this one is definetely the best, both in terms of quality of execution, as well as dialogue and story.

skythorn

Post by skythorn » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:11 am

CrimsonDark.PNG
CrimsonDark.PNG (20.77 KiB) Viewed 499 times
Viewership is strong these last 3 years, but not where it was in the early stages of David's development. The graph above is pageviews per month & access is via the front page. I think 132 thousand page views a month is stupendous personally.

I think the writing is much better, the pacing is excellent, and the work with the visualisation - well - I can fault it but only in terms of space combat is lots of void separating moments of intense action & damage without sound effects. Depicting that is hard to do, and David has done clever things to make it immediately relevant to the protagonists.