Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
LeonT

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by LeonT » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:34 am

CygnusX1 wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:44 am
The command center is there?

First, it doesn't look like command center at all. More like the second-last floor in some random skyscraper.

Second, it is probably the most exposed location on the whole station! In case of a battle, it could be easily taken out, even by accident, by some random ship debris or explosion. For example, I am sure that if Ophelia tried to ram this station instead of Espenson Station, it could take out the command center no problem...
It isn't a military station, it's civilian infrastructure. For normal operations I can imagine it being convenient that they're next to the usual bureaucracy.

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:02 pm

LeonT wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:34 am
It isn't a military station, it's civilian infrastructure. For normal operations I can imagine it being convenient that they're next to the usual bureaucracy.
Good point.
I would consider any space vessel (station or ship) as a potential side in an armed conflict and it should be designed as such. But my view of things is not necessarily how people of CD view things...

LeonT

Post by LeonT » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:03 am

CygnusX1 wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:02 pm
Good point.
I would consider any space vessel (station or ship) as a potential side in an armed conflict and it should be designed as such. But my view of things is not necessarily how people of CD view things...
Hal's salvage ship was another good example of designing the bridge to be functional instead of safe.

The importance of exchanges to a planet has been mentioned before. A sensible adversary would want to capture it intact. And given that it's actually the people who would have the authority to surrender they don't necessarily make a good target in such a scenario.

Also, I bet they do have a safer place if they would actually have the time to prepare for combat.

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:09 am

LeonT wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:03 am
CygnusX1 wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:02 pm
Good point.
Hal's salvage ship was another good example of designing the bridge to be functional instead of safe.
True. And Hal paid for it dearly...
LeonT wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:03 am
The importance of exchanges to a planet has been mentioned before. A sensible adversary would want to capture it intact. And given that it's actually the people who would have the authority to surrender they don't necessarily make a good target in such a scenario.
You don't need a surrender to captute the station. You just need to take control over it. Taking out (or reaching on foot) the command center would likely be one of the goals for that scenario.

Giving it more thought - apart from the command center, there is also the controller. She is actually the reason for all this "excercise" our protagonists are doing. And she - I am sure - is located in much safer location. She is the heart of the station, not the CC (or at least: she is the second heart)

Sarone

Post by Sarone » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:30 pm

Looks like the Admiral just paid the price for not taking point instead of dictating the orders.

That is a great shot for the enemy and a bad one for the crew. Granted,it's not an explosive round (which would have been more devastating), that went through the portside of the bridge/cockpit at a 40 some degree angel. Plus, the Admiral wasn't belted in.

macnut

Post by macnut » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:47 am

Yeah, someone on the bridge is getting splattered by that shot. We'll have to wait 'till Monday to see who, but it's unlikely everyone there escaped unscathed. And let's hope there's some kind of armored shields that automatically come down in case of such a breach, otherwise the survivors of the shot itself may be sucked out into space by the explosive decompression.

EDIT: my mistake, I thought Wednesday's update was Friday's. Sadly, I was partly right, I doubt Daniel's gonna be able to do much here, not with the size of that hole...
Last edited by macnut on Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
The MacNut
Writer and Artist of The Vanguard, a space opera superhero webcomic.

Aegis J Hyena

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:02 pm

Kari's luck continues, while the "admiral's" luck just ran out. That had to have been a headshot...

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:44 pm

This reminds me a scene in The Expanse where one's whole head just disappeared due to a shot, mid sentence...

Departure_Dave

Post by Departure_Dave » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:00 am

Aegis J Hyena wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:02 pm
Kari's luck continues, while the "admiral's" luck just ran out. That had to have been a headshot...
Yeah, looks like the person calling the shots really did "take the the shot" this time.

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:27 am

I assume dead means dead, right? You cannot plug her into some really high-tech augs to replace the portion of the brain that is gone?