Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
BloodyRiz

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by BloodyRiz » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:39 am

It's not that the railgun has a flare effect from firing. It's just that in order to help range in future shots, they are using a tracer type of ammo.

Aegeus

Post by Aegeus » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:34 pm

So, who's the lucky recipient of a railgun shot? The exchange's lab? Kari's ship? Both?

I'm betting it's the exchange - I don't think Daniel revealed which ship was his, and the Mazikeen doesn't have access to that information or they wouldn't have bothered asking Daniel how he got off Farhaven. That's reassuring, I suppose - it means that there are limits to its hacking ability, and despite having a hardware backdoor it wasn't able to get something as simple as "which ships are docked here?"

(Although eventually someone on the Behemoth is going to look out the window, see a Strix-class corvette, and put two and two together, so they'd better get a move on.)

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:37 pm

But the Strix-class corvette is docked inside the station, not on the outside, right?
I bet the outside docking options are only for the biggest ships (e.g. transports) and they are firing at every ship just to keep everyone on the station.

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:55 pm

Wait, is the Admiral still an admiral and giving orders here? I thought Kari was.
Besides, this attitude sounds like "give us orders, but not those which we do not like". Either she should accept any order that is given, or none at all.

Aegeus

Post by Aegeus » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:53 pm

Can't they transmit their critical intelligence somewhere else? Yes, it would probably be ideal to get it home safely and discreetly in person, but when your ship is about to catch a railgun shell, a general broadcast sounds like a good alternative.

arnuz

Post by arnuz » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:16 am

The explosions due to mass drivers are raising my jerky armschair physicist reaction. Ohnoes

LeonT

Post by LeonT » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:02 am

Aegeus wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:53 pm
Can't they transmit their critical intelligence somewhere else? Yes, it would probably be ideal to get it home safely and discreetly in person, but when your ship is about to catch a railgun shell, a general broadcast sounds like a good alternative.
Or just broadcast it to the wider world, that would seem like the most effective way to guarantee that the information isn't lost.

bobismeisbob

Post by bobismeisbob » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:14 am

LeonT wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:02 am
Aegeus wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:53 pm
Or just broadcast it to the wider world, that would seem like the most effective way to guarantee that the information isn't lost.
Do the ships have FTL communication? I know they had to wait until they were docked at a station to get news and media updates.

LeonT

Post by LeonT » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:53 pm

bobismeisbob wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:14 am
Do the ships have FTL communication? I know they had to wait until they were docked at a station to get news and media updates.
They're right next to a planet, someone has to be listening, right?

Aegeus

Post by Aegeus » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:04 am

There's also going to be video of the Souri Collective firing railguns at the exchange. I like their chances.

Also, minor editing nitpick: It should be "Shear" rather than "Sheer."