Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
Sarone

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by Sarone » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:06 am

Sarone wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:59 am
Sarone wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:38 am
"WHAT DID YOU DO?"

What the story says is supposed to happen. In which case, better make sure that virus containment field is on it's own network.
Scratch that, hope the station keeping thrusters are secure and on their own network.
Blast it, my speculation gets worse. Either they are going to take an active role or passive role in the station's destruction.

Forgecoldiron

On the subject of the new ship design

Post by Forgecoldiron » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:01 pm

On the subject of the new ship design

Item 1:
"This could be a hanger, so make sure it's large enough to actually carry/launch something."

How about increasing size until the portion touching the main body matches in vertical dimension that of the stern where the circles are. The increase the dimension away from the main body by an equal amount?

Item 2:
"Command deck"

Good idea. Perhaps have CIDWS (close in defense weapons system) turrets along hull above it?

Item 3:
"Windows?"

How about alternating windows and turrets? Possibly a mix of CIDWS and mid-range?

Item 4:
"Maybe more of these?"

If you can replicate spar and dorsal "fin" and place replicants at a 45 degree angle to the original; do so. If not. Leave as is.

Item 5:
"Too plain, add detail"

Hanger could use CnC window above the opening and CIDWS turrets above and below opening. As for the fin, the only details other than hull plating details I can think of are sensors and ship ident.

Item 6:
"Too obviously copied and scaled- make each unique as originally intended"

Unless you can imagine a function for the elements that trail back from the pylon, have them end at the trailing edge of the pylon flat faces. As flat faces they could contain ports for various functions that are not ship critical. (The farther a point is from the ship's core; the easier it is to get shot off)

Item 7:
"I like having a gap here, but this looks kitbashed. Make it look deliberate."

How about two or more long range weapons turrets? Alternatively, make it a fighter launch deck. Hanger handles recovery of fighters and launch/landing of larger craft.

Item 8:
"Try aligning these angles."

Yes.

Item 9:
"Yuck!"

Yes

Item 10:
"Feels glued on. Try moving it further to the rear, or better integrating it into surrounding structures."

"Try moving it further to the rear" No.
"better integrating it into surrounding structures." Yes.

Item 11:
"Ewww!"

Not sure what you see wrong here. I have no suggestion.

Item 12:
"Try making this a bit broader."

Agreed. As is, it looks like one good shot would go right through it. Not saying one would. Just looks that way.

Item 13:
"Bulk this up, add engines."

Yes

Item 14:
"Maybe add more railguns here?"

Yes

skythorn

Post by skythorn » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:39 am

What a moody opening to a chapter, nice work. Do I see blood and foreshadowing here?

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:29 pm

I actually don't like the opening panel. It is hard to read the image: the ships blend with the background so well that I first thought it is just an engineering room of some kind, maybe twice the size of a human.
The room/hangar also feels very empty: there is nothing on the first plan. Some ships on the side and computer panels (?) and the far end. Nothing draws attention. It is all background and it screams for something on the foreground!

On another note, since the action takes place in space, have you considered taking some shots of the station from a different angle? All images so far have the station parallel to the bottom of the panel, looked from above. A bit of rolling, or even taking the station from upside-down is possible in space, you know :)
Same goes for ships, but I see a bit more variety there...

skythorn

Post by skythorn » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:09 am

This second panel looks sumptuous to me, very nice. I like the view, it feels austere and isolating - which is exactly what I would expect from a station in disastrous lockdown by rogue IT elements.

It's a disaster for all aboard, especially with a behemoth coming to visit. (Must refresh my memory of the Behemoth and the Souri Collective, I have been reading too much lately and need a refresher - I will probably check out the WIKI page to see if anyone has proactively solved my problem for me)

So, with this page and the opening page to the chapter, I think the transitions are completely fine. The story being told by pictures is one of being confined and isolated within a station, claustrophobic, and the second page shows isolation and 'you are but a speck of dust on the face of the universe" context.

Edit : the wiki is here and is not very up to date ... who wants to join me in updating it?

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:25 pm

I agree! I like how the light of the dawning star contrasts with the station which is in nearly total darkness.

Still, I stand by my previous comment; these two are not in opposition.

Ganurath

Post by Ganurath » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:13 pm

So... remind me.

Does she have Controller Augs?

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:11 pm

Ganurath wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:13 pm
So... remind me.
Does she have Controller Augs?
Oh shit....

she does have "Petasos X-C augs, controller class".

Now I have to suspect her. Otherwise I wouldn't know why would she just stun her own boss in favor of someone she didn't see for years and cannot really trust with all his secrecy - especially when revealed that he brought artificially created virus. There is no money behind this. And she is not attracted to Daniel either.

Ganurath

Post by Ganurath » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:13 pm

Well, on the bright side, her being a meat puppet for the hive mind will make the impending love triangle drastically less complicated.

Edit: New bright side, you don't need to suspect she's in the consensus anymore!

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:02 pm

Ganurath wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:13 pm
Edit: New bright side, you don't need to suspect she's in the consensus anymore!
Oh, I don't know what to think of her. If she was under the control of the hive mind, she wouldn't need answers from Daniel. She would already know it! And to what end break her conspiracy?

Unless she really does not know the answers, but that would imply that there are not one but two forces at play. Those controlling the events at Farheaven and the force that she stands for. Maybe she is related to that "first phase of the construction of the Exchange"?.

But then, it seems she called the lancer too - even before the lockdown. Otherwise, how would it show up so fast after the unexpected lockdown?

Oh, and Sarah talked about a collective (she was in I presume). She didn't mention Souri Collective. That was Kari's interpretation.