Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
Silvereye

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by Silvereye » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:47 pm

Great to see the comic start up again. It's always been one of my favourites, up there with Outsider and Gunnerkrigg Court. I was part of the original supporters' club, I'll have to look into this Paetreon business for the modern version.

Okay, this salvage ship is pretty cool. Between the end of CD's original run and the new stuff, I discovered a game called Fractured Space. It's the sort of thing that CD fans would be interested in: every ship is a kilometre-long battleship, and yes, you can launch fighters and bombers to attack the enemy. The aesthetic design of the salvage ship happens to be almost identical to one of the FS manufacturers, Zarek Industrial.

Apparently they also based the Zarek designs off industrial machines and oil rigs and that sort of thing. I'd be curious to hear how similar that was to David's design process, because the end result is uncannily close.

David
Site Admin

Post by David » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:30 am

singerie wrote:David, now that you have redesigned the Scimitar to what it was always supposed to be, are we going to see some Lucasing of the earlier pages? ;)
It's tempting, but the amount of time and effort required would be simply astronomical. There's also the problem that every artist can and will find fault with their old work, and the most important skill to learn is the ability to say "No, it's finished, move on".

Less impossible would be re-doing the lettering for the earlier chapters. This is on my wishlist.

David
Site Admin

Post by David » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:31 am

Silvereye wrote:Apparently they also based the Zarek designs off industrial machines and oil rigs and that sort of thing. I'd be curious to hear how similar that was to David's design process, because the end result is uncannily close.
Those are some fine looking ships. Are you trying to make me look bad? You're trying to make me look bad. BANNED! (jk)

stads

Post by stads » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:07 pm

nice look in her apartment yay for mech wars :D
nice to see the chilli make a return :D

Vile

Post by Vile » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:41 pm

Vaegyr chili? :shock:

That's not going to end well.

dragonrider33

Post by dragonrider33 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:13 am

As I recall that stuff was hotter than a Plasma Bolt :twisted: and she hated it with a passion reserved for those you wish to die the most painful death possible. :roll:
Kill'em All; Let Odin Sort It Out

joapie

Post by joapie » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:12 pm

Didn't she declare vaegyr's chili to be a bit 'weak'?
This one most likely contains more peppers :mrgreen:

Also, not really about the latest page but, is that the Scar docked on the left side of the station? I can't see it clearly enough to be sure.

dragonrider33

Post by dragonrider33 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:25 pm

It might seem she omitted two very important words from the introduction, "My Lover".
Kill'em All; Let Odin Sort It Out

allikat

Post by allikat » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:56 pm

Typo!

In the introduction of Ren to Admiral Novosi, Kari says "Lieutennant" which has an additional 50% extra N free with your page.

Departure_Dave

Post by Departure_Dave » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:08 am

Hi there, I used to read this during university (got a kick out of your "how to make a nebula field" tutorial video). I've been checking back over the past couple of years and am glad to see the Dark's returned =)

This is probably a pretty minor note, and it's subtle (I noticed it only after months of reading), but I'm curious as to how it occurs mechanically speaking. When we got a close-up on Ren's face this page, I noticed there seems to be a thin dark rhombohedral outline on her cheek. Is this a glitch from the model mesh, or are they the traces of some kind of facial/implant surgery?

Also, Kari's hair looks fantastically complicated! So much detail there! =D