Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
macnut

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by macnut » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:01 am

charles wrote: OUCH! Thats gotta be nasty news for the Milowka. Best I see is that its all hitting that forward hull section. Which makes sense since nearly every other Cirin ship has its bridge and stuff in the forward hull.

Well they must realise they're in a pincer move now, which means they know their only hope out at this point is to punch through the Milowka... I'm thinking the Milowka might be lost here. The Cirins are likely to still win (heck, the Vorstoks already have a bead on the Battleships) but I'm thinking it'll cost 'em the Milowka at the very least.

The Milowka may not be as easily destroyed as you may think. Remember Admiral Novosi said they could lose the entire forward hull and it would cost them nothing vital, they'd still be able to fight. A ship that can soak up that much punishment is going to be a real bear to destroy-and all while being flanked by enemy ships with lances and dealing with the Milowka's return fire. I don't see the Milowka being destroyed here. Heavily damaged sure, with crew being forced to bunk down in hangar bays or something until they get back to base, and there may be crew losses as well. But that carrier will survive, I'm sure.

What I'm waiting for is seeing what our favorite crew is doing with the Scarborough. They can't tackle capital ships but what exactly are they up to?
The MacNut
Writer and Artist of The Vanguard, a space opera superhero webcomic.

Dhraakellian
Location: Earth, 3 Sol System, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe

Post by Dhraakellian » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:05 am

Okay, please tell me those red explosions are just dying embers of hits against the Vorstok and Daimyo armor. The alternative is that they're explosions in-atmo or on the surface of Farhaven. On the other hand, if the latter is the case, I can at least have the satisfaction of having predicted some scorched earth.
Some pithy statement goes here.

charles

Post by charles » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:36 pm

macnut wrote:
charles wrote: OUCH! Thats gotta be nasty news for the Milowka. Best I see is that its all hitting that forward hull section. Which makes sense since nearly every other Cirin ship has its bridge and stuff in the forward hull.

Well they must realise they're in a pincer move now, which means they know their only hope out at this point is to punch through the Milowka... I'm thinking the Milowka might be lost here. The Cirins are likely to still win (heck, the Vorstoks already have a bead on the Battleships) but I'm thinking it'll cost 'em the Milowka at the very least.
The Milowka may not be as easily destroyed as you may think. Remember Admiral Novosi said they could lose the entire forward hull and it would cost them nothing vital, they'd still be able to fight. A ship that can soak up that much punishment is going to be a real bear to destroy-and all while being flanked by enemy ships with lances and dealing with the Milowka's return fire. I don't see the Milowka being destroyed here. Heavily damaged sure, with crew being forced to bunk down in hangar bays or something until they get back to base, and there may be crew losses as well. But that carrier will survive, I'm sure.

What I'm waiting for is seeing what our favorite crew is doing with the Scarborough. They can't tackle capital ships but what exactly are they up to?
I've no doubt the Milowka will take a hell of a battering. I certainly remember Novosi's comment and sure enough they're smashing at that forward hull like it's an unshielded thermal exhaust port, but there's a lot of fire power punching into it and as the Tempest passes underneath, it's likely to start hitting the rear section and damage the engines.

I'm not thinking the Milowka will be lost in the sense of a huge explosion that destroys it completely. More in the sense that it'll be damaged so heavily that it won't be worth fixing and may even be disabled to the point that it can't maintain orbit and crashes into Farhaven. Crew would escape. If Bob had enough time to survive that Taratane explosion, then I'd imagine all crew could survive from a debilitated ship (except those killed by the blasts themselves).

A good example is the destroyed Tempest in Page 22 of Chapter 2: http://www.davidcsimon.com/crimsondark/ ... trip_id=73

Certainly, it'll still be a complete obliteration of the UTC/Darani forces there. But all wars have their costs and I don't think the Cirins are going to win this without getting a bit more than cuts and bruises in return.
Please visit, read and update the CRIMSON DARK WIKI
SPAMMER Pelts: 83

David
Site Admin

Post by David » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:30 am

That big news I've been hinting at is finally official. You can read it here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419

I'll be announcing it to non-forum-going readers with tomorrow's page.

Sarone

Post by Sarone » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:33 pm

Good luck David.

On one hand it sucks you'll be wrapping up Crimson Dark, but maybe they guys and gals at BioWare will allow you to put in some self promotion by having the Crimson Dark crew show up in a cantina somewhere.

You have done great work, and I remember reading your comic back in my first deployment. The art has definetely gotten better, five years and three deployments later. Hopefully you are able to get back to the CD universe before too long.

Thank you for what you do and helping guys and gals like me have something to look forward to.

sassafras

Hell of a ride...

Post by sassafras » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:11 pm

Hey, David

First - CONGRATULATIONS !! So few of us ever get to work for a living doing what we really love, very happy for you.

Second - Bugger. yep, that about says it all. No more CD? That's what's made Mondays and Fridays more worthwhile. It was always an especially nice surprise when I forgot until the afternoon, it was always a boost to my day.

Third - 5 years of archives will keep me re-reading for quite a while, like all my other favorite books.

Fourth - CONGRATULATIONS and Thank You for keeping us all engaged, entertained, interested for all this time. I came to CD via a Whedonesque post when you had a Firefly crew poster on a wall; I'm glad I stayed.

Best regards and good luck.

Eric
Cambridge, UK

charles

Post by charles » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:42 pm

Nitpic: Today's page (12.43, panel 4 and 5): The Scarborough's windows are open. The 2nd and 3rd panels show the holographic display is still in use, but previous views of the Scarborough from 12.04 onwards show that no light exits the windows when the "shields" are up.

Other than that... Paybacks a 8!7(#

Putting a few shots into the Light Carrier's thrusters as they pass by would just add insult to injury.

C'MON PEOPLE! GET VOTING IN TWC FOR CRIMSON DARK! LETS GET HER AT LEAST A TOP 20 PLACING!
Please visit, read and update the CRIMSON DARK WIKI
SPAMMER Pelts: 83

Knowles2

Post by Knowles2 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:42 am

What is TWC.

Tachyon

Post by Tachyon » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:15 am

So many congrats, David. ^.^ You are my hero. And I'll definitely be giving that game a closer look now.

Larhanya

Post by Larhanya » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:59 am

CONGRATULATIONS! I've been a fan of CD for a couple of years now, and I am so happy to hear that you are getting the recognition you deserve. Working at Bioware is no doubt going to be amazing! I'm hoping to try out SWTOR at some point myself, and now have a great reason to do so.

Again, many congratulations!!