Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
Icedaemon

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by Icedaemon » Sat May 07, 2011 6:33 pm

I do like these types of scenes. Showcasing that the people intended to be mooks are just people, generally not utter bastards, possibly misled by propaganda which might not be as incorrect as the people who want to see the conflicts as easy black-and-white-morality choices.

javcs

Post by javcs » Mon May 09, 2011 6:02 pm

When the Cirins see our new what?
Nooo!

Fen

Post by Fen » Mon May 09, 2011 6:29 pm

javcs wrote:When the Cirins see our new what?
Nooo!
My thoughts exactly!!!

~Fen

Knowles2

Post by Knowles2 » Mon May 09, 2011 9:43 pm

javcs wrote:When the Cirins see our new what?
Nooo!
My thinking as well.

The writer is being cruel to his loyal reader.

Whole I guest I will be back every week until it reveal.

But I am guesting it going to put a big dent in the scar crew plans.

Lemming

Post by Lemming » Tue May 10, 2011 2:36 am

"He's just a platypus, they don't do much".

Hmm, do they get Phineas and Ferb down-under?

charles

Post by charles » Tue May 10, 2011 10:27 pm

The only poisonous mammal.

Anyone ever watch Dot and the Kangaroo, or read it?

This makes me want to sing the Platypus song *lol* "I'm an ornithorhynchus"

I wonder what new thing they could have. They already have a new battle ship and others... New carrier?
Please visit, read and update the CRIMSON DARK WIKI
SPAMMER Pelts: 56

Lokekar Kra

Post by Lokekar Kra » Wed May 11, 2011 7:25 am

I am guessing it is something more on the scale of surface combat or space to surface combat. Otherwise how would it help them enforce control on Farhaven? They already do have the space side of things locked down militarily speaking. Course that does make me start of interdictor technology from other works. But I am not sure how the Darani would have that and not the UTC. Maybe the announcement of Statehood is soon, would be a possible way to feel that the alliance is in for a world of hurt.
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost

cbhacking

Post by cbhacking » Mon May 16, 2011 6:54 pm

Heh... these people are great at rationalizing their way through loopholes in the laws. Premptive strike == defensive == can use Marines, for example; very believable, as we have governements today that justify actions through "logic" like that. HKs that aren't individually sentient is another good one. Anybody know where the idea of such a "distributed AI" first came from? Bonus points if it's required because of prohibition on stand-alone ones. I know I've read of this idea before but I can't remember where.

Of course, we've also seen that at least one of the governments involved here is willing to completely ignore the agreements in some places (JAKs in general, much less as heavily augmented soldiers). I don't really like either government in this story (which I suspect is intentional) but right now I dislike one of them a lot more than the other.

Oh, and I detect an opportunity to show many more pretty explosions. I fully support this concept!

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Thu May 19, 2011 9:41 pm

Anybody know where the idea of such a "distributed AI" first came from?
I know it is not there, but it appeared there as well: Skynet from Terminator 3.

I think the last page, where the plan is being explained is a bit too quick and hard to follow. We learn about many new things:
- Biggs Cloud
- Silent-running shuttles (ok, they probably made an appearance)
- Swarm of Jammers
- Hunter Killer network
- Hunter Killers (those are some kind of flying drones I presume?)

I believe, each of this elements could be depicted by a single frame in the comic, instead of having all this clumped into a single bubble.

Also, what's "atmo"? They don't mean atmosphere, do they?

Lokekar Kra

Post by Lokekar Kra » Fri May 20, 2011 8:25 pm

CygnusX1 wrote:
Anybody know where the idea of such a "distributed AI" first came from?
I know it is not there, but it appeared there as well: Skynet from Terminator 3.

I think the last page, where the plan is being explained is a bit too quick and hard to follow. We learn about many new things:
- Biggs Cloud
- Silent-running shuttles (ok, they probably made an appearance)
- Swarm of Jammers
- Hunter Killer network
- Hunter Killers (those are some kind of flying drones I presume?)

I believe, each of this elements could be depicted by a single frame in the comic, instead of having all this clumped into a single bubble.

Also, what's "atmo"? They don't mean atmosphere, do they?
They already mentioned nebula and their effect on sensors. When they blew up the relay there was a nebula in full view, though the distance is uncertain how far away.

Stealth systems is new, but if a shuttle powers up to speed, and they shuts down everything but passive systems I would imagine that everything else would assume that it was a just a rock if it even 'saw' it.

Jammers should be obvious, they had a WiNi blocking field up around Sarah's cell.

The Hunter Killers were mentioned previously, but this is the first time we find out more about them. We only know how they work now, and why they are dangerous. What we do not know is what they pack in the firepower department. They can not be too substantial unless the Scar mounts some very very heavy fixed guns on the front. Which leads me to my next thought.

Considering the size of the Scar and its armament it probably is going to play frigate killer and anti-fighter support. That is going to be rough on Kari for sure.

edit: I am of the opinion that atmo is short for Atmosphere, but that does not seem fit with what is implied, unless the planetary defenses are able to knock out Scimatars in atmosphere and the shuttles we see are actually inbound, but again that does not fit well.
Last edited by Lokekar Kra on Fri May 20, 2011 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost