Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
see317

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by see317 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:58 pm

charles wrote:I like the "pulsing" of the main guns.
I seem to recall reading somewhere that this kind of fire would cause more damage somehow. Your slightly larger gun punches the armour, and then the slightly smaller shot hits the same point immediately after and penetrates through to sensitive systems.
Possibly from Battletech? The Clans would use pulse lasers to increase the damage they did. A standard beam would create a small cloud of vaporized armor that would disrupt the beams coherency. By pulsing the beam this vapor cloud would have a chance to disperse before the next pulse hit.

Alternatively, I remember reading in one of the Star Wars EU books that the turrets on the Millenium Falcon had a similar system. Each one of the cannons had a splitter that would split it's beam into two near simoltaneous (sp) shots. The first shot to hit would weaken the targets shields allowing the second shot would penetrate to do damage.

Vile

Post by Vile » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:51 pm

The Traveller RPG also has pulse laser doing more damage than beam lasers, while beam lasers are more accurate. The weapons in CD are not lasers, of course.

Arv
Location: Either Ontario, Canada or a transcendental world beyond your mundane imagination

Post by Arv » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:25 am

The awesomeness of this page is getting almost overwhelming in its awesomeness. The drone explosions are the best I've seen yet, after the fireworks of Tobruk vs. Helikaon. (David's skill progression is obvious and beautiful.) Looks like a rather frantic engagement; John Willams' "Tie Fighter Attack" is playing in my mind when I imagine it in motion. Hope those drone hits are only polishable scratches on our shiny new ship!

I notice that there are no window lights visible anywhere on Scar's hull now, suggesting that barrier shields are in place to cover all the portholes as well as the bridge windows. Sweet. (Either that or they turned off all the interior lighting before battle to save power or something, which seems unlikely.)

I also notice that only her fixed-forward guns are firing in response to the "fire main guns" command and the forward turret guns right underneath are not; that would suggest that these are the primary weapon of the ship and possibly more powerful and long-ranged than the other 5 large gun mounts. I can't seem to remember seeing any blue-coloured beams before now, are these a new type of weapon?

Oh hey, that reminds me, do you have a database entry for the Scarborough upcoming, David? I do love reading the stats and descriptions on the starship files. Given that you're obviously very busy, could you consider putting a ship database entry on your to-do list? (Assuming you're not holding off a bit to keep from giving away other Scar surprises before we see them in action.)

javcs

Post by javcs » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:23 am

Possibly a new kind of weapon. However, more likely, color of weapons may be an indicator of the tech base they're from or the relative power level of the weapon. Or, just artistic license/cinematic effect so that we, the readers/viewers can easily tell the difference between different people/ships shooting their various weapons.

The Scarborough is built with more or less cutting edge UTC military technology, which we know to be significantly superior to that of the Darani or Cirin, or pretty much any other political entity except the Souri, in most, if not all, respects.

The "main guns" are probably more or less the same underlying technology as everybody else's guns, but on a different scale and different degree of capability.

Fen

Post by Fen » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:33 pm

In the caption heading under the comic it says that "Blue means powerful". Love the explosions :lol:

~ Fen

spacebender

Post by spacebender » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:33 am

Ever more gorgeous and impressive depictions! Breathtaking.

Knowles2

Post by Knowles2 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:46 pm

The last two pages have be gorgeous.

So it seem they took out a sensor buoy.

anamiac

Post by anamiac » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:56 pm

This page totally reminds me of one of the famous German pilots in WWII. I can't remember his name, but his tactic was to charge the enemy, and then shoot them from close range.
He shot down over 100 planes. He was never shot down in combat, but all the same he still lost 13 planes due to hitting scraps of his doomed opponents. I guess he was good at bailing out.

NefariousDrO

Post by NefariousDrO » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:32 am

I have to say I loved the "flying straight at the target" part of this one! Nice realistic details like that are part of why we love this comic so much! Well, that and the excellent characters, good plot, quality dialog, superb illustration... Okay, I should stop trying to list it all out before I run out of room!

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:46 am

I just noticed our daring Medic in the last panel. I also, JUST barely notice that his right hand is a different color than his left.

Could he have augs? After that touching heart-to-heart with Whisper? Nah~

Edit: No... wait... that's the thigh of his pants.

-.-