Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
FingerAndToeGlenn

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by FingerAndToeGlenn » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:36 pm

I'm a bit older than you (I've got grandkids), but I understand, having just come through a really bad personal year, including finishing the coursework for a third masters (I'm an academic).

This is what I learned while teaching my course load, taking grad classes, and trying to run an internet business: Follow your passion. Use it to focus not on the what but the WHY.

Crimson Dark is a very good comic. I just cited it as a model for my thesis in creative writing (I want to use new media for exploring new ways of creating and treating text and narrative).

Much more important: I try to get on every Monday to see what Whisper has done. Life would be the poorer without her.

So, thanks. When you're working in the lonely garret, you don't always get to see the audience or hear their applause. So here's some:XXXXXXXXXXXX!

zer05um

Post by zer05um » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:05 pm

I'm about to start my final year too. Computer graphics and videography degree; again, I'm a return to education student. Hard work ahoy.

Nessus786

Post by Nessus786 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:56 pm

I'm a senior at an American university, studying engineering. The most recent comments made really hit home for me. I just had to finally register and post. I had very high expectations for higher education as well, though in a slightly different parallel : I thought everyone would be intelligent and inquisitive and not just scrape by, on 'I'm just trying to not run out of Give A Crap'. However, though that was the original intent of me going to school, to learn more, I've stayed for some of the relationships I've formed. I've helped start and run a student organization, all sorts of crazy stuff I'd never thought I'd do but am better for. There is much to be said for that.
Yes, sometimes that particular university may not fit you. Sometimes it's simply because you may not live on campus and thus really must interact with others. Other times the atmosphere and personality of the university and it's students are not suitable for who YOU are. This doesn't mean, however, that all is lost. I don't really know what your options are for other universities, but if possible, maybe go on a couple visits if you have free time, try to get a tour. Bear in mind that they may only show you the good side of the coin, but talk to the students if you can, ask them what they think honestly. There are always options for you, I should hope.
That said, if you feel you need to abandon Crimson Dark to pursue your goals, DO IT. But if it keeps you happy and sane, try to fight for it. As a student there is a fine balance to work and play, but there must be a balance. Talk to your professors, show an interest, and they will be more interested in helping you do what YOU want to do. I realize I've been rambling and speaking vaguely, but I feel as though I may not know enough to say exactly what needs to be said.
Your readers care about you. I care. If you feel like I could help in any way, just to talk, whatever, send me a line at
Nessus786 *a.t. gmail-dot-com

PS OHGODIWOULDSTARTSHOOTINGATTHESCARYBLUEGLOWYTHING

marieredd

Post by marieredd » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:16 pm

I suppose its only fair to admit that I'm replying to the page AND the personal note, and I just wanted to tell you that I've enjoyed reading Crimson Dark from the moment I found it (which I *think* was early on) and that I wait with baited breath for each new installment. Rather makes my day really. Sort of (though not in a weird way) fulfills the niche left behind by the tv show Firefly--but in a way, better. I like your personal touches, and I like seeing the work behind it all. This is just to say that I'm sorry college is hard (I so agree) and that I like what you do. As much of it as you CAN do, I will happily continue to appreciate. I wish I could do more.

Mmijae

Post by Mmijae » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:48 pm

Hi David,
In response to your rant for this week, I just want to say that I've been reading your comic since shortly after it started which was... at any rate it seems a long time ago! And I still enjoy it :)
It was the first webcomic I ever read and whenever I introduce some poor ignorant person to the world of webcomics I usually always show them this one. It's really good - and continuing to be really good!

l31gh

Post by l31gh » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:36 pm

Dear David,
I'm a long time lurker and only registering today because I want to comment on how grateful I am that you're not putting Crimson Dark on hiatus. It's great that I can go on every week and read a new page. This is one of my favourite webcomics.

Keep up the good work, man. :)
-K.

P.S. Don't stress too much about the wisdom teeth. They'll give you enough meds to be high on life. You won't feel a thing.
Well, at least I didn't. I had mine taken out last year.

celer

Post by celer » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:29 am

You said that you wouldn't care if you died. Do you remember why you started crimson dark? I do, I started reading yesterday after a recommendation from somewhere else. You started it because you were deep in depression. Life is brutal. I have considered what would happen if I died a few times myself. But I always came back to the conclusion that I would rather live. There must be something that can keep you going. For me it is a single memory of three weeks in Ireland, at a program called CTYI. I am going back next year, and that gives me a reason to keep on going and slogging through every day at this hell they call my junior highschool. As long as you have something to live for you can keep on going, keep on fighting through one more day. Don't kill yourself. Crimson dark is one of the little things that keeps me going through every day, that lets me keep on living. I won't pretend to have a life as hard as yours. But think about it this way. Are you going to crush all these hearts? Please sir, keep on going. Live, if only for your breaks. Keep crimson dark going. School is all to often a harsh place. But You can get through this. Thank you, I look forward to the next comment. And remember, new readers are still coming in.

kenm

Post by kenm » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:53 pm

Thank you for Crimson Dark. Your writing is better than your art, and your art is really, really, really good. If you need to take a break, take one. We will all survive the experience and you will probably be better for it. Also keep in mind - you're looking at a career in art. Your classmates are looking for jobs. You're the one with a future. The truly talented will be interested in collaborating - the rest? Who cares. I'm over 60 and have learned the hard way to focus on what I can do and leave the rest to those whose expectations are lower than mine. Good luck. Do what's best for you.

Ken

baixiwei

Post by baixiwei » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:04 pm

Just to echo the comments of others, I've been reading the comic for a while and really like it. I enjoy the story, like the art, and find the characters compelling. Hope that life doesn't get you too down these days.

WarPlayer

Post by WarPlayer » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:38 pm

I'd like to offer you my sympathies and my thanks.

Sympathies, because I just had a flare up of my Diverticulitis a little over a week ago. I can't imagine dealing with that pain for a whole year.

Thanks, because Crimson Dark is one of my favorite comics, and I am old-fashioned (and just plain old) enough the I prefer paper comics to digital by a huge margin, which means, as far as I am concerned, you have an awesome story going here. I look forward to the Graphic Novel.

Your artistic style has improved from the early pages, and I look forward to CD every week.

Best wishes,
John