Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
NefariousDrO

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by NefariousDrO » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:36 am

I agree, the reunion was much the way we wanted it to go. I'm going to be very interested to see how the newly-minted Admiral Novosi will handle them, however. On the one hand, they were considered pirates under Cirin law, on the other hand, she clearly felt that they were treated very badly by Admiral Felton, and it seems likely she'll be feeling at least some gratitude to them not only for doing everything they said and more, but brought down a corrupt and noxious person who was quite likely standing in her way. She clearly has a strong sense of honor, given what she said when she arrested Admiral Felton, so she might consider it a an honorable thing for them to keep the ship they acquired. That would be a difficult sale, in my book. What would they do with said ship? They clearly can't go back since they're officially outlaws, but I doubt they'd be all that welcome on the other side, either. I hate to say it, but it would seem like both sides would consider them a rather inconvenient problem.

charles

Post by charles » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:13 am

Hard to say where they'll go from here. Their 3 month death-mark with the Creer Syndicate is probably almost up and they're obviously not on the Cirin Alliance's death list any more. Just the Republic of Daranir trying to kill 'em now.

They might get involved with the Cirin Alliance on some other things. Maybe assist in breaking the siege on Farhaven or chase after those responsible for attacking the Prospero. Could go into the UTC and start threatening the Republic's application for statehood by revealing details of their use of JAKs, etc. Or maybe investigate why the UTC appears to be turning a blind eye to those violations and the super-soldier act which prevents the use of Marines in assults.

Lots of options, but with Vaegyr's sister there and his unresolved family issues, my bet is on Farhaven. Alternative is that Whisper's past catches up with her.
Please visit, read and update the CRIMSON DARK WIKI
SPAMMER Pelts: 83

Knowles2

Post by Knowles2 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:18 am

Why I agree they are a inconvenient problem for both sides. It has been hinted that the ship they currently process contain info on many high level people on both sides being paid off by the Syndicate. Threatening to release this info to the authorities and directly to the people themselves ought to be enough to convince both sides that they are not that big of a inconvenience after all. :lol:

Through I pretty sure the Syndicate will make it there full time job to hunt them down and kill them. Expired death mark or not :lol:

charles

Post by charles » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:50 pm

Their relationship with Sapphira will save them from the Syndicate's wrath after the death mark expires, although I've little doubt that the Mensk family will still be keen to chase them. Mensk was the previous arbitrator of the Creer Syndicate, but I'd dare say that he considered his contacts in the Republic and the Alliance as his own and probably didn't pass them on to Sapphira, so I doubt they'll be revealing many of her informants. Novosi will probably take a copy of the data on the Scar and then there will be little need to chase the Niobids since she'll be cleaning out the rest of the informants. I'm betting they didn't get much higher than Felton anyway, otherwise Mensk might have been able to pull something together with the upper ranks to get Ward's head.

NefariousDrO

Post by NefariousDrO » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:55 pm

I agree, Sapphira clearly planned for this outcome, plus the data that they shared will probably be enough to appease her and most of the syndicate's wrath. You're right though: the Mensk clan won't be part of that group at all, and will see the stealing of the ship as added insult. That could cause a great deal of trouble within the syndicate, as the clan clearly has a great deal of wealth and therefore power. And while the Cirin-side of the war may not be inclined to continue to pursue the Niobids, I can't see many in that camp inclined to trust them, either. Add to that the now active enmity of their former backers on the Republic side and they don't appear to have many options. What would be cool is if they basically get paid a nice "finder's fee" for the ship they stole, it and the data aboard the ship are likely to be worth a heck of alot of money, especially considering the adjustable stabilizers. I suppose their hope would be to keep the ship they stole, but that might not be allowed and I suspect Vaegyr would rather keep the Niobe, given the choice. Wouldn't it be cool if they could totally refit her? Then she'd look old and such, but packing modern engines and gear would make alot of people underestimate her...

macnut

Post by macnut » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:16 pm

From the look of things in today's comic, Niobe's gone for good. Now let's see if the Niobids are allowed to keep the Scarborough...
The MacNut
Writer and Artist of The Vanguard, a space opera superhero webcomic.

charles

Post by charles » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:20 pm

*sigh* I will miss the Niobe. She really was a homey ship with lots of character. Its a bit strange 'cos we never found out some of the history behind her, like how Vaegyr managed to own it. Something he was apparently quiet about.

Never-the-less, I'm looking forward to seeing the Scarborough in action and the rest of the ship. I'm sure the Niobids will have one hell of a time with a ship thats state-of-the-art with cutting edge technology and capability.

Hopefully it has access tunnels and conduits. All sci-fi ships need these for people and things to crawl around in and cause mayhem. There's nothing quite like a stowaway taking control of the bridge and the protagonists having to crawl thorugh maintenance shafts to either reach a locked-up bridge or over-ride systems manually in deep, dark corners of the ship. :ugeek:

A change of ship and a change of crew. Nostalgia is all well and good but sometimes its nice to see a sci-fi universe where they actually make serious changes amongst all the mayhem... Although I'm still wondering about Hal's unresolved backstory and past *shrug*.

P.S. can anyone spot the point defense turrents on it? I'm pretty sure most of the ones I can see are all larger, anti-ship turrets, but its hard to tell sometimes.

charles

Post by charles » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:24 pm

P.P.S. what about the Scimitar?

darthnaylor

Post by darthnaylor » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:39 pm

Shame about Niobe but realistically, very old, heavily damaged ship, repairs probably would have cost more than a shiny, brand new one anyway. And that's if they could find the parts at all... Now that I've seen the Scarborough from several angles and it seems to actually be their replacement ship though... A lot of the aesthetics of the thing are very reminiscent of Niobe. It strikes me as looking very much like it could have been designed by some nostalgic design team who, looking for a retro design to use as a springboard, stumbled across the plans of a long-forgotten class of corvette from a time when ship architecture put different values first in a musty old filing cabinet shoved in the closet after a buy-out. I have to ask, is the similarity in feeling, at least from the exterior, intentional?

Arv
Location: Either Ontario, Canada or a transcendental world beyond your mundane imagination

Post by Arv » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:28 pm

I'm going to miss Niobe too, but I wholeheartedly approve of this outcome. It just seems very realistic; considering the extent of Niobe's damage along with the difficulty of finding technical expertise and replacement parts for such an old model, it really ought to cost more than the value of the ship to repair it. And seriously, why would they? However attached you might be to your jalopy of a first car, would you really chose to keep it over a free Ferrari?

I'm also happy that the Cirins apparently aren't going to turn into plot-convenient douchebags and arbitrarily seize the Scarborough; aside from being on shaky legal ground, such a move would certainly have made steadfast enemies out of the Niobids, who have now proven themselves to be quite capable and dangerous. Besides, Alison Novosi really seems like one of the good guys (as far as anybody can be a "good guy" in this setting), a real stickler for doing the right thing ethically, and having her suddenly become a jerk like that would seem rather out of character.

But wow man. It looks like our raggedy band with their raggedy rustbucket are now infamous provocateurs with a powerful top-of-the-line warship! Talk about taking a level in badass! I love it when an episodic story isn't afraid to shirk the reset button and make major changes like this; character and setting evolution are beautiful to behold. Very Babylon 5-esque, even more like "Blake's Seven" if anybody around here is old enough to remember that venerable British sci-fi. Rock on David!

Nonetheless, I do hope the Scarborough gets renamed to "Niobe II" or something similar. "Scarborough" is such an uninspired name, and I very much like the "Niobids" moniker our heroes have picked up. (Scarborids? Scarans? Blech.) Also, it would suck if they lost Kari's Scimitar fighter with the Niobe; I wonder what Cirin spacecraft ownership rules would have to say about that? It's a piece of high-end military hardware belonging to their enemy at war; wouldn't the Alliance be justified in impounding it for reverse engineering or covert missions? I hope not, but if realism is the rule of the day...
Last edited by Arv on Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.