Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
charles

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by charles » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:37 pm

Yeah, I've no doubt the communication can get ahead of them in riftspace, but there's been no answer on how communications are sent through riftspace or if they even are. I presume they do travel FTL, but the way ships travel is under the power of a jumpdrive with stabalisers that keep them together. A signal, obviously has none of this so it may well use a completely different set of riftspace technology and method to travel that distance FTL. Larissa also mentioned encryption, so its likely that every man and his dog and his dog's fleas who have the right jump drive can listen in on whatever you're saing in riftspace (Maybe even deduce the location of the sender).

---

On the tail note. I'm not sure but maybe its easier to calculate jumps towards physical bodies in space rather than to somewher in the middle of open space.

Not sure about tracking them. At a guess I'd say the main thing people do is sit in a system thats a hot-spot for travel and just wait until someone jumps in. When a ship jumps in it gives out a jump signature, which is just a certain type of small EMP with certain properties, but if you don't care about the identity then you can just respond to any EMP and check out what ship it is.

The obvious problem there is that you can't track an escaping ship since it would take significant time for the light-speed EMP signal from the faster-than-light-speed ship to reach the point of origin where the persuers are tracking them down, which means Mensk could only have been chasing the Niobe by having ships waiting in systems and listening for his EMP signature when he jumped in.

One solution is the same as the riftspace communication. i.e. the EMP signature, no only travells through normal space, but rift-space as well (and probably much faster than the original ship, considering its already quick properties). So Persuing ships just listen into riftspace with their jumpdrives, like they do for communications, and when they detect the EMP in riftspace from a jumpdrive they are able to somehow track its origin and jump after the target.

But even that is unlikely since I get the impression that a ship takes longer to jump somewhere than it does to calculate a jump, so by the time the persuers got the EMP signal, calculated a jump to that location, made the jump and caught up the target would have already calculated their next jump and be long gone.

So the only way I see around it is to wait in a likely location and listen for signals of incomming ships.
Please visit, read and update the CRIMSON DARK WIKI
SPAMMER Pelts: 83

javcs

Post by javcs » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:48 pm

I suspect that sending a riftspace comm is easier than receiving it.
Actually, I suspect that a riftspace comm takes a large and expensive receiving array - probably in a more or less 'known' location.

Well, sure, jumping to the middle of nowhere is a good way to loose a pursuit, but it's probably a more difficult calculation, and if something goes wrong you're doomed.

My understanding of the riftspace jumps is once you're in, you're in until you reach your pre-programmed exit point, unless there's a way to emergency exit mid-jump. However, an emergency exit would likely not be advisable except under the more dire circumstances, and you would need to recalculate your position from scratch too, which would take a long time.

Lokekar Kra

Post by Lokekar Kra » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:08 am

Considering the Daimyo was able to receive their message and arrive in short order to rescue them from their first run in with the Helikaon, I would wager that the transmission is pretty much instantaneous. It also must not be the same tech as a 'wave' as the Niobe was jammed but still able to send the message, the jamming might not have started till they powered up to flee. I am wagering the captain of the Daimyo was a bit more cautious than to wait that long though...

The trade off I would imagine is that it is also costly in the energy department especially over long distances. Or perhaps not, if jump time is the major crux even knowing exactly what is going on before jumping does not change the problem of not being able to communicate while jumping.
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost

charles

Post by charles » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:24 pm

From memory, Vaegyr's sister went off to send the communication BEFORE they started jamming them... Actually it may well have been BECAUSE they detected a long-distance communication by her that they put up the jamming field. They were supposed to meet up with the Daimyo before they were attacked, so it was likely very close by, plus they were in open space with very few gravatic bodies, so the Daimyo was probably able to calculate the jump in reaponse to her communication very qhickly.

I don't think the transmission of information through riftspace is instantaneous, as Felton commented that Mensk must have been close to Fontana station for real-time communication. The Daimyo was likely quite close since it was planning to meet the Prospero there before it was attacked.

Maybe the explaination can be found in my theory on "Jump Bridges" where whats actually happening is that two jump drives are creating a tunnel through riftspace between them and transmitting data through the tunnel.

Lokekar Kra

Post by Lokekar Kra » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:01 am

For long range you might have to use a burst mechanism as opposed to a constant stream. The Daimyo was far enough away that they had not yet heard the broken distress call. I presume they would have responded if they had receieved that message. Oh and I miss typed, I had meant the captain of the Helikaon. They certainly were eager enough to start shooting and considering they had already sent marines aboard the Prospero it stretches credibility that they would not get rid of any witnesses that showed up, whether or not said witness had seen anything incriminating or not. If they did wait to jam I am guessing that their superiors boxed their ears for it seeing as they got shot up for their mistake.
-Lost

charles

Post by charles » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:05 am

The only excuse I have for the Daimyo (or Tobruk as I should possibly call it for accurate identification) not responding to the distress signal is the idea that it may not have been there when the signal was sent.

Niobe only picked up the tail end of the distress transmission, 5 hours light-speed travel away, which then seemed to go dead. If we presume that the Tobruk made it a similar distance from the Prospero then they'd only have had to arrive minutes after Niobe did. If they arrived even closer than 5 hours light-speed travel then they could have been there some hours before Niobe and not managed to pickup the transmission which would have already passed them.

I remember them mentioning that they were outside the Helikaon's jamming field when they could finally talk to the Tobruk, so maybe we should be presuming that they hadn't entered signal blocking range more than the idea that they were late to begin blocking or responding to Arlene's call.

Heck, maybe the Jump Drive pulsates to send communications, transmitting Vilya particles through the Riftspace (it is the "Ring of Air" after all).

Beech

Post by Beech » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:18 am

Vile wrote:
Arv wrote:Question for everybody:
Does anyone know of any other science fiction non-comedy webcomic anywhere near the quality in art and writing of Crimson Dark?
I'm quite fond of the BurrowWolf, but Dave doesn't update that often either. He's a busy fellow.

Yes, you do have to be called David to have a cool sci-fi webcomic. It's in the small print. Image
Ooh just noticed this on a way-back post, cheers Vile, the cheques in the post. ;)
And yes this stuff takes ages to do thats why I don't update that often, I am always awestruck by the sheer volume of panels of CD that David produces (& the quality never slips).

Captain_Relish

Post by Captain_Relish » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:16 am

Wait... Dan left? when?, why? I missed something...

charles

Post by charles » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:28 am

Captain_Relish wrote:Wait... Dan left? when?, why? I missed something...
What??? Do you mean Hal Grisdale? The engineer with the bionic eye who is the human embodyment of a douche bag?

Hal Grisdale
Parting words: "You can all go @#&% yourselves!"

Daniel "Dan" Qian
Last action: Coerced into a relationship with Whisper while under the influence of drugs.

Lokekar Kra

Post by Lokekar Kra » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:49 am

charles wrote:Last action: Coerced into a relationship with Whisper while under the influence of drugs.
I got a great laugh out of that line, just priceless!

Hal was the resident engineer and Daniel is the resident medic/doctor.

Sarah was replaced by Whisper in my view, so even though they would not mind having her back I get the feeling she would only partly replace the skill set they lost when Hal left.
-Lost