Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
charles

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by charles » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:03 am

Hmmm... Mensk's personal files? Like the ones he might have on his suspicions about Whisper's identity?

...Or about his dealings with the Cirin Alliance Admiral? OUCH!

Heck, that information could probably clear several dozen high-ranking officials out of both sides and maybe even the UTC depending on where he had connections as one of the heads of the seven families and the previous arbitrator for the Syndicate.
Please visit, read and update the CRIMSON DARK WIKI
SPAMMER Pelts: 56

warriorpoet2020

Post by warriorpoet2020 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:18 am

I wonder if he has any "Secrets not meant to be Known" in there. You know, the kind that can topple whole alliances.

see317

Post by see317 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:56 pm

warriorpoet2020 wrote:I wonder if he has any "Secrets not meant to be Known" in there. You know, the kind that can topple whole alliances.
Appearenly he had some that can topple high ranking officers...

Lokekar Kra

Post by Lokekar Kra » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:53 am

ooopsssssssssss. Hey that guard's head gear looks somewhat like the rebel alliance ones!... But white like a Storm Trooper....RUN, the Cirin Alliance is what would happen if the Rebels and Empire joined forces!!

On a more serious side I like the contrast in how the elite combat troops look. Personally prefer the simpler/smoother Cirin. Marines might be known as lobsters but the head gear looks more like ant eaters to me. Anyone want to guess what the nick name for Elite Guard is? I will take the obvious one of "Ghosts", lol.
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost

mist.archon

Post by mist.archon » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:48 pm

Ok I thought little Japanese girls with faces obscured by long hair were creepy. The appearance of the Cirin Elite Guard, with his ghost-white armour and oddly-aligned holes in the faceplate, is somehow more intimidating than the Republic Lobsters.
Well done David, it's not often I get creeped out like that.

As for this new development, I'm not sure it's a good thing. However many friends the admiral had in high places, they all just became bitter enemies of the Niobids. No one wants to be next on the chopping block.

charles

Post by charles » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:51 pm

Depends on how much of a patriot they are. If they're particularly patriotic then they'd be disgusted at the Admiral's actions and pleased to see him weeded out. If they're also working either with the Creer Syndicate or another external body, then they might indeed be worried about what this could mean for them.

I wonder if you could get auged up with parts that far exceed your actual body size, sort of like some kind of mecha. Obviously big ones would only be useful on the planets surface but surely you can make some kind of bigger, heavier marine which could get through those wide corridors. A kind of light mecha which would survive blasts from all but the heaviest rifles and be able to carry bigger guns to boot.

Heck, I wonder if anyone has considered developing a fighter that plugs into the pilot, alot like a controller plugs into the station, so the controls are all VR. Maybe that level of interface is just too bulky despite advance in computers. The station control rooms certainly don't appear to have bulky interfaces but I get the impression that its mostly other computer components for running the station which would have a lot more requirements for computing power than a simple fighter. Lots of advantages. You wouldn't need the cockpit exposed with windows since you could use cameras, you could possibly have less cockpit space anyway since the pilot can just lie in a cocoon type cavity. *meh* maybe expense is another problem, together with the pilot's preference to be physically flying the bird.

Lokekar Kra

Post by Lokekar Kra » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:59 pm

Battle Tech Classic started with that idea before it all went screwy. As they pointed out when you give people so much armor or put them in a cocoon inside a machine "I-am-god" phycological problems might arise. Ie they forget they are indeed human and start doing dumb hazardous things just because they now think they can without pain.

I am willing to bet to give a person the situational awareness that 360 degree sensors would provide would either require extensive training or some serious cranial augs. At that point they might be considered a jak even.

On a more aesthetic side, it would not look as cool as you could not imagine yourself as the pilot or at least you would not be able to see all the spiffy colors your natural eyes would pick up.

Remember the chapter beginning when Sara is talking about how they use people as controllers because people can subconsciously see patterns a program can not. People with that ability can not be all that common as evidenced that they had only 1 backup/standby controller for a station Epsen's size. Trying to find enough people like that to fill out a wing of fighters would be a waste since you can not expect them to perform that much better than standard pilots, and each one that dies would be hard to replace. For a squadron of elite pilots it does have some potential though, but I would see them as pilots that have the potential to be controllers or close to it rather than the other way around.
-Lost

SoulWager

Post by SoulWager » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:42 am

TBH, I don't see the point of having humans in fighters, all it does is put a huge constraint on acceleration (in three ways: first, you have to make the ship big enough to hold a human. second, you have to accelerate the mass of the pilot, and associated interface and life support. Third and most importantly, humans can only withstand high acceleration conditions for a few seconds, even if you can build a ship that can pull 20g, you have to damp that down by half just so your pilots don't pass out.)

In space combat, AIs and targeting computers would have much better reaction times and precision, and the ships could be made smaller and less predictable.

charles

Post by charles » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:01 am

Don't forget that pilots are given G-force inhibitor Augs by default, so they can stand much more.

A.I. computing doesn't appear to be FULL A.I. as we might think of it one day being in our world (i.e. an adaptable and almost human entity). You might recall that Sarah mentioned that they use controllers because the A.I. doesn't have any sense of intuition. They use controllers to extrapolate, anticipate and even speculate on things which can be a very important thing in combat. We also saw the limitations of the A.I. when the station was hit and Adelaide mentioned that it wasn't designed to co-ordinate salvage, rescue and damage control. Thats the A.I. for a STATION which could easily fit some of the biggest computer systems you can imagine, and yet it can't adapt to do those few extra tasks. Its hard to imagine that you could install an A.I. into the confines of a fighter which would be capable of performing in all the situations and tasks that a fighter pilot needs to conduct. Heck, even on ships, you would just use A.I. to operate guns rather than humans, but even that task seems to be left to human hands.

HOWEVER, maybe you could use JAKs. Obviously, if A.I. were advanced and miniturised enough, they could just have completely robot marines rather than use JAKs, but evidently the brain can be used in a way to assist computing. So you simply have fighters with a special type of JAK which is integrated into the whole fighter... But obviously, that a hell of a lot harder to hide than JAKs acting as soldiers with a lot of armor.

I remember seeing a great program on the telly which explained how important human intuition is. It was the story about Lieutenant Commander Michael Riley (google that). This guy had seen two blips on the radar headed for the American navy and tried to find out if they were friendly aircraft. He'd watched friendly fighters come in pairs from that direction on a daily basis but even though he couldn't put his finger on it, something about these two blips put dread in his heart and he ordered them to be blasted out of the sky. There were some tense moments before they were confirmed to be enemy missiles and not friendly aircraft, but when asked afterwards, he couldn't rationalise why he'd ordered those two blips to be shot down when he's let dozens through in the past... After hours of studying the previous radar footage, scientists noticed only one minor difference beteen the missiles and the aircraft. The missiles took a couple of extra radar sweeps before they registered. The Lieutenant Commander only knew and acted on this at a subconscious level, but it saved lives. Sure an A.I. could be programmed to watch for this, now that they know about it, but what about before they knew about it? Or what of the many other situations like it which probably exist.

Lokekar Kra

Post by Lokekar Kra » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:00 am

Above story serves just to illustrate the biggest difference still between current AI and Humans: discretion. While SciFi might like the idea of a AI completely like humans, the reality is that computers from the ground up are built to a completely different set of rules. I figure it will take a leap past just 0s and 1s for computers to better approximate a human.

As for in this universe (ie comic) it would sure put a crimp on the whole story if Kari piloted a drone even!
-Lost