Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
skythorn

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by skythorn » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:28 pm

Gee Chapter 11 is a gorgeous chapter. Lovely shading of Whisper on the outside of Daniel's room. I love spaceships with impossibly high ceilings for atmospheric lighting shots like this.

What happened to the shot through Whisper's leg? That was just a repair wasn't' it?

Jim 028

Post by Jim 028 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:12 pm

Thaago wrote:I hope our heroes keep the Scar. Sure Niobe has sentimental value and all, but it was absolutely wrecked! Engine blown out, stabilizer blown off... The Scar meanwhile is brand new and heavily armed.
Not to mention Vaegar's always wanted a captain's chair.

allikat

Post by allikat » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:50 pm

One disadvantage to newer ships over older ones, is the ncc1701 vs 1701-d debate. The higher technology means that the tech replaces metal . In 1701-d it's the structural integrity field, in the original ship, it's big metal girders that hold it all together. The newer ship has a lot more usable space inside, but it does depend on the power being on to resist damage.

To translate to CD, the Scar will be built with finer tolerances as engineers learned what exactly they needed. But the older Niobe will actually be built a lot tougher. The damage that left the Niobe semi-disabled would have left the Scar an expanding cloud of gas and debris. That's assuming that it hit though, as the Scar no doubt has a lot of defensive technology that Niobe lacks, as Mensk was no doubt using it as his personal yacht, and mobile command centre, it probably has anti-torpedo systems and refractive coatings on the outer armour.

Remember how old technologies got recycled when people found great uses for them? The early Gatling rotary guns are now used for point defence systems on carriers. Now imagine that with each barrel now having a linear accelerator (rail-gun) pushing a small nickel alloy BB at a respectable fraction of light-speed, and what that could do to an incoming torpedo? It'd be pretty poor at ship to ship combat as the math needed to make the things hit a moving ship would be crazy, but against something homing towards you? Just push a decent sized cloud of high speed pellets into the path of the torpedo, and hey-presto, no more torpedo.

javcs

Post by javcs » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:41 pm

allikat wrote:One disadvantage to newer ships over older ones, is the ncc1701 vs 1701-d debate. The higher technology means that the tech replaces metal . In 1701-d it's the structural integrity field, in the original ship, it's big metal girders that hold it all together. The newer ship has a lot more usable space inside, but it does depend on the power being on to resist damage.

To translate to CD, the Scar will be built with finer tolerances as engineers learned what exactly they needed. But the older Niobe will actually be built a lot tougher. The damage that left the Niobe semi-disabled would have left the Scar an expanding cloud of gas and debris. That's assuming that it hit though, as the Scar no doubt has a lot of defensive technology that Niobe lacks, as Mensk was no doubt using it as his personal yacht, and mobile command centre, it probably has anti-torpedo systems and refractive coatings on the outer armour.

Remember how old technologies got recycled when people found great uses for them? The early Gatling rotary guns are now used for point defence systems on carriers. Now imagine that with each barrel now having a linear accelerator (rail-gun) pushing a small nickel alloy BB at a respectable fraction of light-speed, and what that could do to an incoming torpedo? It'd be pretty poor at ship to ship combat as the math needed to make the things hit a moving ship would be crazy, but against something homing towards you? Just push a decent sized cloud of high speed pellets into the path of the torpedo, and hey-presto, no more torpedo.
Ballistic weapons are banned on account of they have no maximum range, and can kill civvies years, decades, even centuries, after a battle is over, even when said civvy is a ridiculous distance away from where the ballistic projectile was fired.

Ah, 1701 had SIF, and 1701-D also had physical structural reinforcement. Different materials employed, due to the nearly century long gap in between construction available for advances in materials science.

I'm presuming that Scar is possessed of modern mil-spec armor and hull, if not superior to mil-spec, unlike Niobe, which, fundamentally, was a modified civilian design from over 200 years ago. Niobe, while modified to carry weapons, would not have been particularly well-armored by modern military standards - as is evident by having the shit blown out of her whenever she got into an actual fight.
Niobe is/was not a warship, and never could be; I'd bet, however, that Scar could take significantly more damage than Niobe, or rather, take far less damage from the same amount of weapons fire. I wouldn't put a ship like Scar into a fight against a modern capital ship, but, I'd bet Scar could probably handle anything in her size/tonnage bracket, assuming she was crewed by sufficient personnel who knew what they were doing.

Lokekar Kra

Post by Lokekar Kra » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:09 am

Actually Niobe was considered heavily armed for her class. But as pointed out by Kari and by evidence her armament would not pose a threat to a destroyer.

The Horizon class mounts guns that are range from being a bit more powerful to over three times as powerful as the main guns on the Niobe. Vs the Taratane class frigate or the O'Brien class frigate you could argue it could out gun them since it had more guns available, though the O'Brien class sports guns that are twice as powerful if a third as many.

So I would guess that if pressed Niobe could fight and possibly win against a frigate class ship based on the weapons she sported, though she does not naturally have any fighters like the Taratane class or missiles like either frigate. With all that in mind it is no wonder that as a privateer and possibly a pirate before that she was able to easily out gun any freighter she ran into and face other pirates and privateers. I am of course ignoring actual armor, but if a frigate mounts guns slightly heavier I would imagine that means the armor would normally be only slightly heavier as well.

I was actually looking through all the ships earlier and it is interesting to note that the republic believes in putting hangars on every capitol ship nearly while the alliance does not. Which is ironic considering the alliance buys the cheapest ones which should translate into having more at their disposal. Also I only now noted that the Scimitar is actually an UTC design and so is the Zweihander.

While we have never seen it used or mentioned in the comic Niobe also sports a "shuttle" craft named "Chloris". I believe that the shuttle is actually between both hulls with wings/stabilizers in a folded upright position and as of the last time there was an angle to that point it was still there.
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost

MadCrimson

Floods in Australia

Post by MadCrimson » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:30 pm

Coming from germany I'm very much surprised that the comparision "an area as large as germany and france" is used outside european media.
What surprises me even more is that only about a 100.000 humans are in harms way. If such a flood actually hit germany and france over a 100.000.000 would be hit...
Man, australia is reeeeeally empty, isn't it?

Best wishes to you all down there!

MadCrimson
may contain nuts

spacebender

Post by spacebender » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:23 am

I have been following the events in Queensland with concern (thanks for the links). After I completed my graduate studies in 1988 in California where I am a native, I enjoyed traveling with a friend for 3 weeks in Brisbane, Toowoomba and along the coast. I have vivid memories of the beautiful area and friendly people encountered there, and these keep the situation of those impacted by the flooding close in my thoughts and prayers. I echo what others have expressed about 11 being such a visually gorgeous chapter. Thank you as always for your splendid artistry both visual and narrative!

Dhraakellian
Location: Earth, 3 Sol System, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe

Post by Dhraakellian » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:53 am

Raukk wrote:On the subject of ships, the Scimitar is stated in the database as used by many nations, but since Kari's is well used and modified significantly I doubt it would be worth much resale. So, it is probably worth more to the Alliance to be used other ways, like an ambush or as a spy, etc.
Don't forget the ever important Propaganda. Kari "Fury" Tyrell, the dead war hero, is still very much alive and out flying her Scimitar... but not for Daranir.
Some pithy statement goes here.

Vile

Post by Vile » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:10 pm

I bet that's 24k gold plate inlay on those doors. I have to say I hope our heroes do some decorating if they decide to stay on the Scar - all that gloom and red carpet is very atmospheric, but it would drive me a bit batty after a while. Not that any of the crew have ever shown any interest in DIY before, given the state of the Niobe! :lol:

I'd keep the doors, though. The doors are too cool to replace. Maybe add some stained glass inserts where privacy isn't an issue. :P

Raukk

Post by Raukk » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:51 am

Vile wrote:Not that any of the crew have ever shown any interest in DIY before, given the state of the Niobe! :lol:
Um, actually, http://www.davidcsimon.com/crimsondark/ ... trip_id=30, and how else do you think they get that custom rusted look? (I'm assuming it's rust considering the comment about it not having paint from Hal) Because rust is basically 3 things, Iron, Oxygen, and Water, the later two are fairly scarce in space so I'm not even sure if 200 years would be long enough for that rust to accumulate that much. Also depending on the type of DIY, they all seem interested in fixing the ship if necessary to live, and at one point it underwent a serious overhaul (from yacht to privater). Either way, I agree with you that they don't seem like the artistic type that would do an aesthetic remodel of the ship, but that comic poped into my head.