Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
SFCGator

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by SFCGator » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:46 pm

Heinlein often alluded to the concept that most rational people could find some kind of commonality despite their differences. The arts spanning from the theater to graphics and music have the ability to touch us all. I give you this short cut Rintaro's Metropolis. If you have not watched the entire film then I encourage you to do so. Whisper comes to mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UNj-VK43iQ

A perfect blending of different generations, media and genre's.

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:33 pm

SFCGator, thank you for your post! You bring up many facts that I was not aware of. This gives me a better understanding on what is going on.

SFCGator

Post by SFCGator » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:50 am

Hi David. I'm in the middle of rereading CD and hit Ch. 11 Pg. 26 dtd 12/06/2010. There is a nice reference to Katie Ryan and a link to her Red Tails site. However, when I clicked on it I was taken to an exploit site with a nasty intrusive/data raping virus. I think my antiviral/malware saved the day (I hope, though I'm going to run a couple more in depth routines). But I thought you should know.

Happy I decided read CD from the start as there are quite a few things I had missed or forgotten. Continuity makes a better flow when you don't have to wait for updates. I highly recommend a reread for any CD aficionados who haven't done so.

David
Site Admin

Post by David » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:54 am

SFCGator wrote:Hi David. I'm in the middle of rereading CD and hit Ch. 11 Pg. 26 dtd 12/06/2010. There is a nice reference to Katie Ryan and a link to her Red Tails site. However, when I clicked on it I was taken to an exploit site with a nasty intrusive/data raping virus. I think my antiviral/malware saved the day (I hope, though I'm going to run a couple more in depth routines). But I thought you should know.
Thanks for the heads-up, I've deleted the offending links.

SFCGator

Post by SFCGator » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:52 am

Wow, finally got through the reread with attention to comments. Great work, David and I am envious of your talent. One interesting point I find is that the both of us have in common a late diagnosis of a mental disorder. You Asperger’s, and me ADHD, which was not discovered until my retirement from the service. FYI when one retires from our military an entire batch of physical and mental exams must be endured. For the most part this is pretty much routine (although unpleasantly invasive) but thorough. I was a bit surprised to be called back for another interview and battery of tests with the ‘head shrinks’. During my final interview with a very kind Colonel psychologist, I was informed that I had ADHD. What she found fascinating was that I excelled in my MOS (98J) and was able to maintain a TS/SCI clearance. After several discussions we determined that by pure chance (and I personally think God’s will) I was assigned to a specialty to where ADHD was actually a benefit and not a deficit. It also explained a lot of the problems I had in school and in other areas. As you said that if were not for your Asperger’s, Crimson Dark may never have come about, in my case I would have probably had a very challenged life had I not been recruited a very specific specialty. My wife often says that a door is not closed that God doesn’t open another. I have found this to be true throughout my life. Regarding mental disabilities, are they really? Disabilities I mean. Or, are they talents or abilities unexploited or in search of appropriate employment or utilization? Gives me thought and fodder for other stories and writings. Sigh, procrastination is my Kryptonite.
Welp, I loved the reread but now it is suckful as I have to wait for the next installment. Best of luck David and keep up the good work.

Vile

Post by Vile » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:20 pm

SFCGator wrote:Regarding mental disabilities, are they really? Disabilities I mean.
Interestingly, physical disabilities are no longer treated as such in my Real Life industry, which is landscape architecture. These days I teach my students about "universal accessibility", the concept that you design outdoor spaces to be usable by everyone to the limit of their abilities. That means getting away from the "stick a wheelchair ramp in there and it'll be fine" mentality and simply looking at all users as unique individuals with varying levels of physical ability - young, old, fit, unfit, wheelchair-bound or blind. I think the concept of "mental disability" is well overdue for re-evaluation. Why label the average as "normal" and everything else "abnormal"?

And, now, back to your regularly scheduled Crimson Dark fillers while we wait on the edge of our seats for the next chapter. :)

stads

Post by stads » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:33 am

nice opening page
wonder if thats gone be a upgrade for them or the ship hunting them ?

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:29 am

stads wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:33 am
nice opening page
wonder if thats gone be a upgrade for them or the ship hunting them ?
I think neither. There is already a big ship hunting them. And I wouldn't expect any help from anyone on a mission like this.

KJ_A

Post by KJ_A » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:28 am

Actually we did seen a Gerushda-class destroyer in the background of the Battle of White Rim in chapter 2, on the right side of panel 2, page 15 here and on the left side of panel 4, page 16, here.

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:56 am

KJ_A wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:28 am
...Gerushda-class...
Wait... is the ship in this title screen the same as the one currently attacking? Same class - shouldn't be a coincidence.
But this one does not look as if it was currently in combat. The page seems to be too calm for that...

A short flashback?