Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
CygnusX1

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by CygnusX1 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:19 pm

On your computing page, even in a straight line approximation, the PAD personal terminals not only will blow away a modern PC, it should make a top end mainframe look like an abacus.
Well, it all depends on the software as well. Even fastest computers will fail with crappy software. In addition - some algorithms just can't take advantage of the full power of the computer - e.g. serial algorithms on multi-core machines. Since speed of a single core nowadays does not increase much anymore, one could imagine that a serial program running on CD future hardware wouldn't be that much faster either...

Dredogastus

Post by Dredogastus » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:09 am

Great title page!! The title loads first "Old Friends". Possible foreshadowing of trouble with Hal? Then as you scroll/look down everything is covered in darkness. Our crew is at a low point. Then from a pool of watery blue light, the sound of happy discovery, Eureka!.
Let us hope it is as useful as Whisper believes.

NefariousDrO

Post by NefariousDrO » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:21 pm

I'm reduced to just saying "Wow" an awful lot over these last few pages. The writing is as good as ever, but the art has (and I hadn't believed it was necessary, much less possible to do this) gotten even better! These last few pages have been stunning to look at. I am so impressed.

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:41 pm

wow... this ghost thing ghost thread comes like a blow.
For me it feels a bit like a deus ex machina: one mystery (the ghost) is suddently resolved to convinently resolve another problem.

David
Site Admin

Post by David » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:46 pm

CygnusX1 wrote:wow... this ghost thing ghost thread comes like a blow.
For me it feels a bit like a deus ex machina: one mystery (the ghost) is suddently resolved to convinently resolve another problem.
And on page three they will all live happily ever after.

Lokekar Kra

Post by Lokekar Kra » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:03 pm

Um, yeah... Other than their "Old Friends" are going to be waiting for them. For the Admiral this is a nice win-win situation. I do not find this very much 'deus-ex-machina' as the ground work was laid out how many chapters ago? Typically a DEM is a surprise that we could never see coming. In this case I am sure some people could have put it together, especially those that have access to whatever is in the supporters club archive.
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost

Detrevni

Post by Detrevni » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:59 am

I don't know how much time has passed here, but wouldn't Niobe alreay have been stripped down and parted out? She was heavily damaged and I doubt it would be cost-effective to repair the ship after the crippling she received.

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:15 am

I do not find this very much 'deus-ex-machina' as the ground work was laid out how many chapters ago?
That is why I call it only a bit, I do see the hints laid out in the past.
Yet there is this transition from "some unknown RASF ghost" to "keys, schematics and a defecting officer" which - in my opinion - is a relatively big jump, found in a convinient moment.
Maybe there are some hints in the Supporter's Club, but that section is and will be beyond my reach :(
Of course I don't expect the story to end on the next page. It is a very interesting story and I really like it (wouldn't be here otherwise), just trying to laid out my small criticism in a constructive way.

Fen

Post by Fen » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:26 am

I'm guessing that Whisper figured it out from what ever was in the head of the Jax marine but that it takes time to hack in to what ever she downloaded.

Fen

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:52 am

Fen wrote:I'm guessing that Whisper figured it out from what ever was in the head of the Jax marine but that it takes time to hack in to what ever she downloaded.
Fen
Nah, the ghost was this intelligent virus which infested Niobe's mainframe in Chapter 7. (strip_id 250-254) Whisper claims most of the data comes from there and not from the Jak corpse (at least that's the way I understand current page), although the corpse is mentioned too.