Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
CorsairX

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by CorsairX » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:06 pm

Congrats on the chapter; it's been quite a ride!

Congrats also on the freelance work; it's a difficult market to break into and can be worth quite a pretty penny, even if it can be a bit irritating (though you might want to be a little less direct on the front page - it's a small world after all!).

Sarone

Post by Sarone » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:49 pm

This is great It's one hell of a cliff hanger yet brings the idea out that we haven't seen the last of the Niobe.

It does make you wonder if our good captain Novost isn't going help, especially when (not if) she finds out about the Admiral's connection.

Dredogastus

Post by Dredogastus » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:21 am

The first 3 panels confused me at first. Who is that dark figure? An assassin? Then I see it's Larrissa regaining her focus. That really gave me a feel for the weight on her shoulders. Nice work Mr. Simon.

tunguska

Not sure where I should put this, but...

Post by tunguska » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:05 pm

...I can't actually see any of the strips anymore. The rest of the page loads fine, but where the comic should be is just a blank white space.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Fen

Post by Fen » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:22 pm

It's working fine for me, try this: http://www.davidcsimon.com/crimsondark/ ... 100322.jpg

Fen

tunguska

Post by tunguska » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:33 am

Fen wrote:It's working fine for me, try this: http://www.davidcsimon.com/crimsondark/ ... 100322.jpg

Fen
Just looks blank, to me.

Does he link them off flickr? Because for me, that's a very temperamental site as regards loading images and leaving blank screens.

David
Site Admin

Post by David » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:27 am

tunguska wrote: Does he link them off flickr? Because for me, that's a very temperamental site as regards loading images and leaving blank screens.
No, everything's hosted on this site. Do you have any filters active, such as Net Nanny or Peer Guardian?

Dhraakellian
Location: Earth, 3 Sol System, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe

Post by Dhraakellian » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:05 pm

ShadowWolf81 wrote:Hmm not to poke and pry.. but something i noticed in the recent page... is it just me.. or does Whisper and the Doc have doubles in the 'reflections' ?... not 100% sure.. but though ive had more than one shadow on the ground befor due to different lights from different directions... dont think i have ever seen but 1 of me reflected in class, nomater how many different lights are around me.
They're reflecting off of more than one surface, I suspect.
Some pithy statement goes here.

Fen

Post by Fen » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:43 pm

Dhraakellian wrote:
ShadowWolf81 wrote:Hmm not to poke and pry.. but something i noticed in the recent page... is it just me.. or does Whisper and the Doc have doubles in the 'reflections' ?... not 100% sure.. but though ive had more than one shadow on the ground befor due to different lights from different directions... dont think i have ever seen but 1 of me reflected in class, nomater how many different lights are around me.
They're reflecting off of more than one surface, I suspect.
Yeah, Daniel definitely has 2 reflections. He might be reflecting off the front and back of the window? It looks pretty thick!

~Fen

cbhacking

Post by cbhacking » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:53 pm

Lokekar Kra wrote:And the plot thickens... Suddenly the Cirin Alliance does not look any better than the republic. I am guessing Novosi is going to get in the way again, and where is Whisper when you need her, I am sure she can hack any system she wants to :D.
That was largely my thought too. We've already seen evidence of slimy tactics on both sides - remember the JAK from the beginning of the story - but the Alliance was looking like the more noble side for a while there.

I'm getting the distinct feeling that both sides are fighting about as dirty as they can, actually. Individuals on either side may be good people, doing what they can and refusing any truly evil orders, but morals appear to be in somewhat short supply over all. I really like this, actually - it's a more exciting story when the enemy is *not* necessarily color-coded for our convenience, and either side can decide to put a knife in your back, or cut you an unexpected deal. It also adds a strong degree of realism to have this be something other than a pure "war of good and evil" because honestly, those don't really happen very often.

It's also worth noting that we haven't really seen into the minds of the heads of state on either side. It wouldn't be the first time that people with enough power to cover themselves and an agenda of their own have hidden some seriously shady dealings from their higher-ups as well. In fact, at the end of the day, the only thing that you can be sure the government has seen (and presumably authorized) are the same major actions everybody sees - the propaganda regarding Kari's death, for example. Of course, they might have legitimately thought her dead... anyhow, it's all a wonderfully twisty tale of secrets and hidden motives.

David, I need to say once again: DAMN you're a good storyteller! This is some truly fine writing. The art is also incredible, and the degree of talent you show in both is astounding. Thank you so much for providing us all with Crimson Dark. As soon as I start work (about 3 months, I'm afraid - gotta finish my degree without going *completely* broke) I'll be joining the supporters club, because man, you deserve it.