Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
atlas689

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by atlas689 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:10 pm

Dhraakellian wrote:
Ilmari wrote:I would have though that as a doctor Daniel would know better than to blow someone's kneecap out...
Weell, the Bible is a bit fuzzy on the subject of kneecaps...
Firefly ftw :lol:

mangaka2170

Post by mangaka2170 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 am

Ah, the "you're either with us or against us" mentality... almost a requirement in any shooting war fiction where both sides get to tell their stories.

I take it that everyone is expected to be a patriot in the Cirin Alliance?
Avid reader of CD since 2007

Creator, writer, penciler, inker, colorist, letterer, editor and publisher of Frontier: 2170 (63 pages and counting! ;D)

Ilmari

Post by Ilmari » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:39 am

mangaka2170 wrote:Ah, the "you're either with us or against us" mentality... almost a requirement in any shooting war fiction where both sides get to tell their stories.

I take it that everyone is expected to be a patriot in the Cirin Alliance?
Not just in fiction. In wartime situations -at least those where one's country is threatened (percieved to be threatened)- patriotism is generally expected in any country. In some -the U.S. in particular comes to mind- patriotism is pursued rather rabidly, but even in Oz I've got screamed at for criticising the military. Since then I think at least Australia has sobered up a little.

Then again, to be fair on the uptight Cirin officer, Vaegyr's case is a pretty poor one. It may be true, but to someone who does not know how the captain acts and thinks, the facts can easily be seen to point to 'defected-turned traitor-attacks his erstwhile countrymen for profit'.

-Ilmari

mist.archon

Post by mist.archon » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:47 am

From the previous page:
Wow, first time in CD that I've actually liked Hal. But that's probably due to the fact that there's less of him to like now :roll:

Things aren't looking good for Cpt. Ward. Hope Arlene can put in a good word, she has enough influence to be on a first-name basis with the Captain of a Daimyo Heavy Cruiser.

Krennson

Post by Krennson » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:36 am

Ouch. Vaegyr is screwed. He NEVER RENOUNCED his cirin citizenship? he's been operated under letters of Marquee, from a hostile power, in a time of war, directed against what is LEGALLY HIS OWN NATION?

That HAS to fall under "levying war against Us, adhering to our enemies, or providing Aid and comfort to our enemy"

Even if he's acquitted on 'piracy' as such, Treason is usually a death penalty charge... And at this point, I'm pretty certain that he's guilty.

Hypothetical

Post by Hypothetical » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:27 pm

Don't you just love Witchhunts?

The Tribunal already has their minds made up, and are basically giving the witnesses their answers.

Justice? We don't need no stinkin Justice! We need a sacrificial lamb to burn on the alter of Politics so that we can look good.
If life were a wheel, I would be stuck under it.

Crimson Dark...#1 Sci-Fi Webcomic.

Froggy the Great

Post by Froggy the Great » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:09 am

Well, as we don't have any indications that the strip will end via firing squad, it looks like this is a set up to blackmail the crew into playing both sides, maybe with some repairs to Niobe in the picture.

skythorn

Post by skythorn » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:35 pm

sounds like there should be a new thread about politics of war - I am thinking of the letter of marque issued to Karla Vatta in the five book series Vatta's War by Elisabeth Moon. Simple writing but there's something there that's good for everyone.

Geo

Post by Geo » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:58 am

I'm waiting on the other shoe (Whisper) to drop after de tribunal reaches it verdict. ;)

Krennson

Post by Krennson » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:11 pm

Hypothetical wrote:Don't you just love Witchhunts?

The Tribunal already has their minds made up, and are basically giving the witnesses their answers.

Justice? We don't need no stinkin Justice! We need a sacrificial lamb to burn on the alter of Politics so that we can look good.
you're assuming that the TRIBUNAL is the disembodied voice asking the crew these questions?

I assumed that a professional interrogator was asking these questions, and the tribunal would just read through the transcript later. Although the Tribunal may be able to submit a list of general questions to the interrogator ahead of time, or something.