Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
Liberthas

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by Liberthas » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:22 pm

Wait, echo location in space? What?

cbhacking

Post by cbhacking » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:40 pm

Liberthas wrote:Wait, echo location in space? What?
Sure, what do you think RADAR is? Of course, it's an electromagnetic wave rather than a compression wave, but it's still a process of sending out a signal and waiting for a bounce back.

It may not be RADAR as we know it today (then again, accounting for improvements in antenna and computer tech, maybe it will be) but for general proximity scans, some kind of echo sensor will probably remain the best option for quite a long time. Once we know what to look for, other sensors can be brought to bear, but an echo-based system is pretty good for getting the initial detection.

Of course, it's also terrible from a stealth point of view - the initial signal can be detected by an enemy from roughly twice the range that you can receive the echo (possibly much further), and already today we have missiles designed to home in on RADAR sources. That detectability is also the reason military submarines don't run their active SONAR constantly; they prefer to run blind (unable to detect anything unless it makes an audible sound, and even then they can only approximate the range) rather than broadcast their location all over the ocean. In the middle of a battle, though, the enemy will already have them on sensors so I'm pretty sure there's no advantage to turning off their proximity scan.

Liberthas

Post by Liberthas » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:30 am

I read it as echo as in sound, hence the confusion.

Dhraakellian
Location: Earth, 3 Sol System, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe

Post by Dhraakellian » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:34 pm

shiiiiiny

more comments (possibly) later
>.>
<.<
Some pithy statement goes here.

cpuguy1

Post by cpuguy1 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:58 am

WHOA!!!

Nice Shot Daimyo!!!

AaronLee

Post by AaronLee » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:08 pm

The daimyo has PD guns? w00t! Is there any ship cool enough to match that battleship on the other side of this fight?

David
Site Admin

Post by David » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:37 pm

AaronLee wrote:The daimyo has PD guns? w00t! Is there any ship cool enough to match that battleship on the other side of this fight?
All ships have Point Defense - that (plus recent developments in tracking) is why torpedoes are no longer fashionable.

Also, keep in mind that the Daimyo doesn't have a lance and is vulnerable to frontal assaults by destroyers and battleships.

Sarone

Post by Sarone » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:00 pm

I like how the Captain just went from the "What happened?" look to the "What the frak happened?". That is priceless.

Lokekar Kra

Post by Lokekar Kra » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:10 pm

Well, there goes any possibility of the Vashnir not knowing what it was doing. Poor Vae, he jumps from fire to fire it look like. He must be a pretty good privateer for the Cirin Alliance to want him dead on sight and issue that order. I suppose that is normally how you treat the other side's privateers, but it seems he is a little more known than just that.
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost

\m/_ (>_<) _\m/

Post by \m/_ (>_<) _\m/ » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:07 am

Hey man!

Gosh I love those spaceships that you do! They look so neat! I'd loe to see you animate the space battles and such! It's too bad you couldn't do little thingy-things for You Tube that would advance the story along quicker or just a completely diffrent story animated in the CD universe!! It'd be neat to watch little 3 -4 minute episodes on You Tube!!

Congardulations on having 2 strips chart at the same time; numbers 44 and 45 or 43 and 44 on the Top Web Comics!! That's pretty neat!!

Todays page was neat! I like seeing the size comparison between all of the ships and such. I did have to go back and re-check for that torpedo, though, but that's nothing that a little tweaking in Composition can't fix for future panels and strips.

Keep up the great work!!

I am...

A weekly ready/sometimes poster...

\m/_ (>_<) _\m/