Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
Lokekar Kra

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by Lokekar Kra » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:56 pm

Anyone else getting the feeling that the Vashnir with its lance is like a person trying to use a rifle in a melee? Knife fight was a very good analogy I think.

To me all the pages take a looooong time to go anywhere, but that is probably because it is difficult to wait a full week for the next page.

I did recently read it start to the latest page and I felt it flowed very well the whole way through. They were on board another ship, which is a good thing. If trying to search another ship took that long, a station would be a full chapter if of itself ;). I am guessing that you are referring to the "Prospero" when you wrote "station".

My two cents is that I feel that it suites the mood to have a long search aboard a ship that was attacked and all the crew appear dead or missing. I would agree with Hal's assessment and every minute we spend there would trickle by for me as the nerves and stress do their work.
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost

see317

Post by see317 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:08 am

Lokekar Kra wrote:Anyone else getting the feeling that the Vashnir with its lance is like a person trying to use a rifle in a melee? Knife fight was a very good analogy I think.
That was my impression. Anything spinal mounted isn't going to be a great toy in a close in fight. Of course, had the Daimyo jumped in further away, the battle would have gone much differently I'd imagine.

cbhacking

Post by cbhacking » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:56 am

Ok, first off, just gotta say... SHIIIIIINY!! Love the latest page.

Hmm... I thought the Vashinir had some dorsal weaponry, but I'm not seeing it shoot anything back at the Daimyo. Guns disabled, or perhaps gunners dead, or am I just not seeing it? I guess my reaction in that case would be to rotate the ship around its axis, to bring some functional weaponry to bear (and try to keep the damaged armor away from my enemy). I'm not sure there's any way they can bring the lance to bear - the Daimyo is obviously very maneuverable, and for the Vashinir to rotate vertically would involve a much greater moment of inertia - I wonder if their thruster design takes this into account?

Actually, the Vashinir doesn't really seem to be trying ANYTHING at the moment. Either it's aligning to jump out (I'm guessing that, barring major damage to the stabilizers or jump systems, they don't need to re-calculate?), preparing to pull some sort of fancy maneuver (possibly by first attempting to lull the Daimyo into a false sense of security), or all the JAKs on board went mad and either killed everybody or shut down the ship's systems or some such.

In any case, this is a visually awesome page. I can wait another week for the story to advance.

Mercy Machine

Post by Mercy Machine » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:45 pm

Lots of shooty action in true space-opera fashion! Talk about closing to "kissing distance"!

kenm

Post by kenm » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:16 am

A truly lovely page with very good composition. Personally, you should take whatever time you need to get the job done right - as defined by you. Just do what you gotta do to keep things going for yourself. I'm looking forward to the eventual book ;) .

wildthayne

Post by wildthayne » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:02 pm

kenm wrote:A truly lovely page with very good composition. Personally, you should take whatever time you need to get the job done right - as defined by you. Just do what you gotta do to keep things going for yourself.
Yeah, if it doesn't work for you, David, it doesn't work. We love your work and want to see lots of it, but don't burn yourself out or lower your standards just to feed us.

BTW, is the vashnir going to retaliate?

Geo

Post by Geo » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:37 pm

see317 wrote:That was my impression. Anything spinal mounted isn't going to be a great toy in a close in fight. Of course, had the Daimyo jumped in further away, the battle would have gone much differently I'd imagine.
Well, the Daimyo did fly a way beyond the Vashnir on its first run. I'd say that would have given the Vashnir a great up-the-rear shot if they had turned towards the direction the Daimyo was flying...
But the Daimyo's arrival distance was indeed perfect.

see317

Post by see317 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:35 am

Geo wrote:
see317 wrote:That was my impression. Anything spinal mounted isn't going to be a great toy in a close in fight. Of course, had the Daimyo jumped in further away, the battle would have gone much differently I'd imagine.
Well, the Daimyo did fly a way beyond the Vashnir on its first run. I'd say that would have given the Vashnir a great up-the-rear shot if they had turned towards the direction the Daimyo was flying...
But the Daimyo's arrival distance was indeed perfect.
Yeah, it did fly away a bit, but it's still within visual distance, which in space might as well be touching.
I assume that the Vashnir is designed for the more likely "See those specks in the distance? Those are targets" kind of fight, as opposed to the Daimyo's "we're close enough to make obscene gestures out of the windows, do we open fire?" kind of fight (which, while more entertaining to watch, would seem to be far less likely).

Lokekar Kra

Post by Lokekar Kra » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:46 am

Depends on your strategy and what is in the jump vicinity. The Alliance as stated has very good jump tech and when coupled with a spotter to give you precise jump cordinates it is a deadly advantage. Can they always count on that, obviously not as the Republic can take advantage of places you can not jump into , or could create them with minefields or towing out asteroids. Not to mention trying to assault a planet favors the Republic ships imo.
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost

Geo

Post by Geo » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:41 pm

see317 wrote:Yeah, it did fly away a bit, but it's still within visual distance, which in space might as well be touching.
I assume that the Vashnir is designed for the more likely "See those specks in the distance? Those are targets" kind of fight, as opposed to the Daimyo's "we're close enough to make obscene gestures out of the windows, do we open fire?" kind of fight (which, while more entertaining to watch, would seem to be far less likely).
If so, why did the Vashnir had to come within visual distance to Niobe in order to fire the lance at it? The only reason I can reckon is energy/focus loss over long(er) distances from the lance beam. So presumably a short distance between the Vashnir and the Daimyo wouldn't stop this weapon from being used.
Lokekar Kra wrote:Depends on your strategy and what is in the jump vicinity. The Alliance as stated has very good jump tech and when coupled with a spotter to give you precise jump cordinates it is a deadly advantage.
I'd say a spotter broadcasting coordinates isn't really needed. Triangulating a signal should be sufficient. Actually, the Alliance appearantly used this trick in the first chapter when Kary's ship was ambushed.