Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
Lokekar Kra

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by Lokekar Kra » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:06 pm

So they are thought of as disposable troopers! Kinda of expensive, but if you need something completely loyal and smart at the same time I can see where you would want it. Normally the smart troops are not the ones that want to do suicide missions for obviuos reasons.

So do they take an recently deceased people? Volunteers? Or "volunteers" ?
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost

David
Site Admin

Post by David » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:11 pm

Lokekar Kra wrote:So they are thought of as disposable troopers! Kinda of expensive, but if you need something completely loyal and smart at the same time I can see where you would want it. Normally the smart troops are not the ones that want to do suicide missions for obviuos reasons.

Officially they take no-one, this stuff is all illegal. As a matter of record, some organisations have used volunteers, others have literally raided the morgue.

While there is some expense involved in making a JAK, it's considerably less than would be involved than trying to create an android with the same capabilities (typically they pick bodies which already have extensive augmentation), and can be justified by weighing the cost against the experience and training of a living person. Why send a living soldier on a suicide mission when you can send one who's already dead?

Krennson

Post by Krennson » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:18 pm

David wrote:
Lokekar Kra wrote:So they are thought of as disposable troopers! Kinda of expensive, but if you need something completely loyal and smart at the same time I can see where you would want it. Normally the smart troops are not the ones that want to do suicide missions for obviuos reasons.

Officially they take no-one, this stuff is all illegal. As a matter of record, some organisations have used volunteers, others have literally raided the morgue.

While there is some expense involved in making a JAK, it's considerably less than would be involved than trying to create an android with the same capabilities (typically they pick bodies which already have extensive augmentation), and can be justified by weighing the cost against the experience and training of a living person. Why send a living soldier on a suicide mission when you can send one who's already dead?
interesting... so an augmentations electronic memory of an individuals personality is actually USED when building a JAK? It's not neccessarily being operated by a stock AI?

nightfire

Post by nightfire » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:22 pm

Just taking it back a few comics to something I noticed no one has really talked much about. Remember the ghost in the ships computer that had Whisper all excited? Well I am curious what you think is going to come it? We have not heard much about it since the current story arc started just shortly after she caught it. I have my own theory but I would like to see what other people think first.

jjsavage

Post by jjsavage » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:01 am

Yeah, how does universal health work in the real world? All we hear in America is opinions of people who are more interested in making a lot of noise (and money) than in informing the public. It'd be nice to hear an unbiased report from someone who's actually lived in a country with such a system.

Lokekar Kra

Post by Lokekar Kra » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:17 am

Well, if you are paying patient you get superior care, otherwise you get to wait quite a while. My father went to Canada for a surgery and was admitted right away and got excellent care. Which is a bit ironic in a way, they people that can pay privately still get better care...

For the most part the US is socialized health care for the poor, they just go to the ER and they do not pay as it is. Hospitals foot the bill now and in the future it will be everyone instead. *shrugs* I do not care, not insured myself and 75 years ago health insurance did not even exist. Not sure that it really helped things to invent it.
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost

Mmijae

Post by Mmijae » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:51 pm

I know that song!
It was quite amusing to read whisper's version of the lyrics to a song I recognise :)
I even started singing along!

skythorn

Post by skythorn » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:09 pm

nightfire wrote:Just taking it back a few comics to something I noticed no one has really talked much about. Remember the ghost in the ships computer that had Whisper all excited? Well I am curious what you think is going to come it? We have not heard much about it since the current story arc started just shortly after she caught it. I have my own theory but I would like to see what other people think first.
yeah - i don't quite know myself - it sounds very interesting and I presume that given it's been captured by our resident helmet head, that it's no longer an issue anymore. Somehow it's all perfect again? Mind you, captured does not mean disposed of - I think it might be re-inserted somewhere somewhen, or it breaks free and takes over a ship, or ... well ... there are lots of options IMO.

nightfire

Post by nightfire » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:41 pm

Finally Whisper makes a move!!! I am very happy now.

Khalor

Post by Khalor » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:21 pm

I too have one of Schindler's Lifts in my building.