Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
Sarone

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by Sarone » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:43 am

Yeah, makes you wonder what is going on.

But at the mystery is deepening.

wintmute

Post by wintmute » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:20 am

I was found this site through the comics subreddit (http://www.reddit.com/r/comics/), and I just wanted to say thank you. I've read everything from start to finish this morning, and it's an awesome, engrossing strip. The art is particularly compelling, and I thoroughly enjoyed the panels that explained your creation process. Please keep writing and paneling!

CauldronBorn

Post by CauldronBorn » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:30 am

I didn't know that little bit about English soldiers being called lobsters. Learn something new every day in places you aren't expecting, I guess.

Also, I danced a jig and woke up my roommates with my shouts of joy when I heard about Mechwarrior 5 as well.

locke03

Post by locke03 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:45 am

The term "lobsterback" was quite derogatory, especially considering early europeans considered lobsters to be filthy sea roaches barely fit to feed swine and not the tasty crustaceans we see them as today.

David
Site Admin

Post by David » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:53 am

locke03 wrote:The term "lobsterback" was quite derogatory, especially considering early europeans considered lobsters to be filthy sea roaches barely fit to feed swine and not the tasty crustaceans we see them as today.
My research suggested that the term "lobsterback" may not have been in contemporary use during the war of independence, only being ascribed to that era in later writings. It also suggests that the term was probably used to refer to the scars on men's backs caused by flogging rather than the colour of their uniforms.

Lokekar Kra

Post by Lokekar Kra » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:01 pm

So does today's page mean JAKs are more vulnerable to some things than normal people? Or did the crew happen to get a lucky shot. My mind is abuzz with the possibilities
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost

OneSalientOversight

Post by OneSalientOversight » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:00 pm

* I thought it was RSAF, not RASF
* Daniel, a doctor, is getting icky over playing with a corpse?
* The Crimson Dark story has been going for two months in their time? Wow. We're time travellers.
* I thought Harry Potter 6 was the best film so far. My favourite moments were when Ron was bewitched by the love potion and when Harry was happy and strange after taking Felix Felicis drug. Emma Watson can't really act though. I also love the Harry/Ginny kiss scene in the room of requirement, not for the scene but for what follows - Harry walking down the corridors of Hogwarts obviously in a state of wonder after snogging Ginny, and then Ron comes up and says "So, did you and Ginny do it?", Harry (Pause): Ummm.... WHAT?, Ron: Get rid of the Half Blood Prince book, Harry: Oh... yeah, Yeah!

cpuguy1

Post by cpuguy1 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:06 am

Alright Whisper ... now you're going to do some real mind reading (even if is electronics memory).

Let the goverment take over a marines body/soul - they will take away every thing that would/could get in the way of an order that maybe a 'little' illegal (unlawful).

Krennson

Post by Krennson » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:58 am

Lokekar Kra wrote:So does today's page mean JAKs are more vulnerable to some things than normal people? Or did the crew happen to get a lucky shot. My mind is abuzz with the possibilities
I just assumed that JAKS made from dead bodies have a limited service life, and this JAK marine happened to break down during the bridge assault. The bullet strikes may have hurried the timeframe by a few hours, but not much more than that.

But i can't remember any text evidence to back my theory of limited lifespan up, so i may be utterly wrong.

David
Site Admin

Post by David » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:02 pm

Krennson wrote:I just assumed that JAKS made from dead bodies have a limited service life, and this JAK marine happened to break down during the bridge assault. The bullet strikes may have hurried the timeframe by a few hours, but not much more than that.

But i can't remember any text evidence to back my theory of limited lifespan up, so i may be utterly wrong.
Spot on - JAKs have an expiry date. The fancier ones can last longer (years if maintained), but ultimately things just stop working and the subject dies. The JAK which boarded Niobe in chapter 1 was a less sophisticated model, with a life span measured in weeks - they're typically used as shock troops and for suicide missions.