Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
Docsmith626

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by Docsmith626 » Wed May 27, 2009 5:39 am

They're baack! :D

ravels

Post by ravels » Thu May 28, 2009 9:21 am

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

For continuing with the best webcomic I've ever read (and with extra photoshop nebula tutorials!).

Here's wishing you can continue to produce more brilliance without the interruptions of college.

best

Ravi.

ReadyMan

Post by ReadyMan » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:40 pm

Just caught up to this current page. Great story so far....reminds me of when I used to game master a world. We played for years, and as the world got fleshed out, the stories got better, becoming a crazy magnetic addiction.
Keep up the good work!

--what was the final word on getting the first few chapters printed? (did I miss that?)

ReadyMan

Digitalmaniac

Post by Digitalmaniac » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:50 pm

As usual. you've done an excellent job. The mood lighting really sets the tone for the whole page. The view of space in panel 4 is interesting only in that is it glass in the wall or are they video screens that depict the vastness of space. Such an expanse of glass (no matter how strong) would be a vulnerable part of any ship; force fields and deflectors not withstanding.

The star field is a little bland. Might I suggest a proto star bursting into life or supernova that casts a few deep shadows onto the bridge?
Whatever doesn't kill me better run really fast
check out my website at http://www.placesimagined.com

Sarkus

Post by Sarkus » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:12 am

One of the reasons I keep reading Crimson Dark is the high quality of the visuals. As such, I think that even if the streamlining process results in a small decline in that area (not sure if I see that, just saying) then you are still going to have the best looking webcomic out there. So don't worry too much about it. In the end its the story we are caught up in so keeping things going is what we most care about in the end.

cbhacking

Post by cbhacking » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:32 am

Love the latest page. I can't wait to see where this story arc is going... I suspect it has to do with whatever is behind that sealed door from last week though! Clearly a lot of violence, but where is the killer? Where are the weapons? The blast marks on the other door are great - maybe somebody tried to run, and was cut down (or escaped?) but then, there are blast marks on the door they go in by too - either the killer followed a victim onto the bridge, or there was a firfight in the hallway outside it. Given the position of the bodies inside, I'm guessing the former - these people look like they were taken by surprise, unprepared.

Great starfield. Looks very realistic, very deep-space. 5 light-hours (from their previous jump) makes it what, almost 40 AU? Not incredibly far, but pretty "out there" to be sure. Assuming somebody else doesn't already know where the Prospero is, and that neither ship is transmitting a beacon of any kind, is that close enough that a potential attacker could find them? I'm not sure if the scan range of CD ships has been discussed before.

Good luck with the Crimson Dark-related college projects. I really hope your professors approve, and not just because I love the comic - it also means a lot to be working on a project you really enjoy (on a personal level).

Oh, and as regards Windows 7, go ahead and try it... but I'd suggest you not rely on the pre-release versions. I've hit a couple bugs in the public RC, which while not crippling aren't the kind of thing that lowers your stress level.

e of pi

Post by e of pi » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:55 am

I love how Crimson Skies has always been, and getting more of it cannot be bad if the quality level doed not drop off like an anvil dropped from a zepplin. You ships and universe are always well-thought-out and in addition, beautiful. The first two are great and the last does not hurt.

I recently (Last three-ish months months) built a 32-bit Windows 7 machine, and I have found it a good OS, stable and fairly intuitive. Features like the "peek" and pop-up window samples.are not just cool-looking, but handy. Essentially, it is functional and well implememnted, and pretty to boot. Once again, the first two are great and the last can't hurt. You going to be building around one of the new Intel i7 chips?

Dhraakellian
Location: Earth, 3 Sol System, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe

Post by Dhraakellian » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:50 am

Digitalmaniac wrote:As usual. you've done an excellent job. The mood lighting really sets the tone for the whole page. The view of space in panel 4 is interesting only in that is it glass in the wall or are they video screens that depict the vastness of space. Such an expanse of glass (no matter how strong) would be a vulnerable part of any ship; force fields and deflectors not withstanding.
Given that this is a ship belonging to a theater troupe and not operated by the military, I'm guessing it's not quite so much of a concern.

Then again, space debris is still an issue.
The star field is a little bland. Might I suggest a proto star bursting into life or supernova that casts a few deep shadows onto the bridge?
See what you said above about the mood lighting. The (relatively) empty view and the lighting set a certain tone from which I think pretty nebulae might detract.

On another point, from the expression on Daniel's face, I don't think he really expects to find any survivors.

A ship's live support system suffers a critical power failure on the border of Cirin and Daraniri space. Where do they bury the survivors?
Some pithy statement goes here.

Lokekar Kra

Post by Lokekar Kra » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:44 pm

[quote="Dhraakellian"]
On another point, from the expression on Daniel's face, I don't think he really expects to find any survivors.

[size=50]A ship's live support system suffers a critical power failure on the border of Cirin and Daraniri space. Where do they bury the survivors?[/size][/quote]

Normally we do not "bury the survivors", old joke but still brings a smile. Who ever it was, they were not interested in the ship nor most of the crew, and they felt that they should die for just being there... Starting to sound like some people we know of :).
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost

adapa

Post by adapa » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:33 am

e of pi wrote: I recently (Last three-ish months months) built a 32-bit Windows 7 machine, and I have found it a good OS, stable and fairly intuitive. Features like the "peek" and pop-up window samples.are not just cool-looking, but handy. Essentially, it is functional and well implememnted, and pretty to boot. Once again, the first two are great and the last can't hurt. You going to be building around one of the new Intel i7 chips?
I'm in the early stages of researching for a video processing rig for a friend. The i7 on the way out, to be replaced by a i5 in September. Which might signal a price drop in the i7/x58 combo. I'm tending to recommend waiting a few months. But I agree, the i7 seem to support the features needed for video.