Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
altasilvapuer

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by altasilvapuer » Tue May 12, 2009 11:35 am

MAPMAPMAPMAPMAPMAPMAP!!!

David, you have no idea how happy this just made me, heh. One of my absolute favourite parts of backstories, bar none, is the maps created! Something about maps really bring an adventure home for me. They offer me just enough tangibility to grasp and drag myself further into any existing verisimilitude, while leaving the world just wide open enough that I can still get an impression of the writer's mindset almost solely through the words.

I think my favourite part of this map is its elegant simplicity. It has just enough detail to get your bearings, but just enough lack of detail that it offers that freeform nature to my mind mentioned above.

-asp

connectr

Post by connectr » Tue May 12, 2009 12:28 pm

What, no "Old Earth" or did I miss something? :D

Dhraakellian
Location: Earth, 3 Sol System, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe

Post by Dhraakellian » Fri May 15, 2009 1:22 pm

So is Berengar, way on the far side of Cirin/Daraniri contested space, claimed by the Federation of the Sun, or is there another reason for it being colored orange?
Some pithy statement goes here.

Lokekar Kra

Post by Lokekar Kra » Fri May 15, 2009 8:44 pm

Berengar is home to Golgotha, which probably makes it a neutral territory. Neither side wants to use the resources to eliminate Golgotha when they have a full scale war going on. Add to that they can probably hire some of the groups there to do their "dirty" work and Golgotha becomes a recognized independent system in all but name. That is my approximation anyway.
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost

Dhraakellian
Location: Earth, 3 Sol System, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe

Post by Dhraakellian » Sat May 16, 2009 2:51 pm

Of course! right!

I knew the name sounded familiar. Memory fail!

David
Site Admin

Post by David » Sun May 17, 2009 2:28 pm

otakuryoga wrote:aww ---- you cant just say you got into warhammer online w/o some details....what class you liking?

me..i have a black orc a squigger and an engineer
Shadow Warrior, Archmage and Witch Hunter - though I've barely touched them of late.
Lokekar Kra wrote:I like maps! Makes me think of MOO and MOO2.
Ahh, MOO2, now there was a fun game.
connectr wrote:What, no "Old Earth" or did I miss something? :D
Earth is off the map, part of the United Terran Coalition. But who cares about Earth? Earth is boring.

surrealize

Post by surrealize » Mon May 18, 2009 7:11 pm

Dramatic Irony! LOL. I knew English class wasn't a waste after all...

Apparition

Post by Apparition » Wed May 20, 2009 1:15 am

Edit: I didn't read far enough into the pages lol, sorry if I am off topic slightly, I ended on page 6.

If we are chatting about Tech I really enjoy the modern interpretation of what Space Ships would be like come the future. I never liked the idea of shields as that would require a near endless supply of energy combined with the idea that waves of overlapping energy could be wrapped around a moving object, non-the less controlled, and able to flip on and off via a switch. Crimson Dark is heavily developed on the idea that Energy is a difficult and highly prized resource, as noted with the Mass Jumper Ship (ch 6 -p25) and the types of Fuel, refueling stations, and fuel grades (as described in the beginning in the differences between the Military fuel and the fuel Vaegyr uses) .

I enjoy the realism in that Hulls are once again a source of protection, as they are designed to be, and that the type and structure of materials as protection is much more believable. Energy weapons should actually be weaker against well designed material boundaries than the idea of Shields because of the resiliency of material types, which can absorb, counter-act, disperse, and even deflect (as in redirect through forces and not allow a direct interaction) energy. This would bring the idea of a Lance Weapon as a real and viable concept :).

Now I may simply be over thinking my own ideas about CD but this is simply how CD is having me think :). Well thats really my own interpretation and I look forward to hearing others.

Dhraakellian

Post by Dhraakellian » Wed May 20, 2009 2:25 pm

Something about panel 2 of the current filler is very wall-e.

Knowles2

Post by Knowles2 » Thu May 21, 2009 6:06 am

Well even your filler are interesting. In some ways learning about how you came to produce Crimson Dark the one and the only comic I read is more interesting than the comic itself. Same as some films, I am someone who love learning how they do it rather than the product it self. But this comic is excellent and actually the only one I read week in and week out online or off line.

I look forward to the new pages next week I believe it said.