Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
CorvusCorax

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by CorvusCorax » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:59 am

NefariousDrO wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:22 am
Is anyone else as amused as I am that Whisper is the one who asks that question? Perhaps Daniel is having more influence on her than he realizes?
That assumes she's showing empathy with the enemy and now questions their own actions morality. I don't think that is the case though,

In fact, that kind of question - and its timing especially - feels so very very whisper. It's probably important to realize she is most probably not morally accusing anyone of being bad in making the first hostile move, she's simply trying to find a logical explanation why everyone's acting hostile to them all the time.

I guess most captains would have interpreted that question as moral critique in their leadership. But Ward knows Whisper well enough, so he simply makes it clear he doesn't have time and nerve to deal with that kinda crap in the midst of battle.

But, assume for a second, Ward had answered "Yes, that's probably why." What would have been Whispers response?

My bet is, Whisper would simply have smiled, nodded (mystery solved), and continued managing Niobe's system for optimum weapon efficiency, so they can continue dealing hostilities to the enemy and finish them off.

Daniel... Daniel assumes actions are inherently "good" or "bad" based on motive on moral principles. I'm not quite sure Whisper really gets that concept. For her "good" actions are actions that will have positive long term repercussions for her, while "bad" actions are those that will eventually backfire.

There is a lot of overlap between those definitions, but for Whisper, whether shooting at a 3rd party is "good" or "bad" simply depends whether the aggression is more likely to cause the opponent into future retaliation - or intimidate them to cease hostilities altogether.

From that point of view, there's absolutely nothing wrong with "make no prisoners, leave no survivors, only an expanding cloud of plasma" - expanding plasma doesn't hold grudges, nor does it remember who took the first shot, as thus there's rarely ever any problematic consequences.

Leaving certain pirates alive however led to "complications". But of course showing mercy can have social benefits in the long run. Its always a trade-off, which she's willing to make -- especially since it makes Daniel happy. After all, that's also a positive consequence.

I guess, she totally will let her enemies live if it makes Daniel smile.

Aegis J Hyena

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:40 pm

Calling it now. They were friendly, misidentified Niobe, Whisper's poking in their mainframe(s) and is bringing it to light in a way only she could.

connectr

Post by connectr » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:55 am

Stay safe

NefariousDrO

Post by NefariousDrO » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:03 am

I think we all agree that your safety is by far the highest priority. Take what time you need. I really hope it goes okay. Stay safe.

rallypoint

Post by rallypoint » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:42 am

Understandable - I live in Southern California and one of the smaller wildfires came within 2.5km of our house... it was VERY stressful.

PLEASE take care of yourself, family and friends... we can be patient :D

Aegis J Hyena

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:14 am

Too bad one can't jump the fires into space. Stay safe out there. Didn't realize you were that close to the fires.

jasales

Post by jasales » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:34 pm

Brush fires - keep yourself safe! Amazing bird photo btw!

Orlet

Post by Orlet » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:26 am

Stay safe!

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:36 am

Just wanted to say what others already said: stay safe!
Hopefully evacuation won't be necessary...

skythorn

Post by skythorn » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:12 pm

How is the sense of stress and serenity at the moment - the fires have been ongoing for a while and I do hope that David is still safe or feeling safe. I wonder if there is sufficient wellbeing to continue to entertain us all with his labour of love and generosity ... and that is me being very selfish indeed Stay well and Stay Safe David :/