Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
Lokekar Kra

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by Lokekar Kra » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:50 pm

Ack! Attack of the shiny blue people!!! Run fer yer lives!!

As long as there is an eventual return to CD, even if it be in a couple of years, I will stick around and wait it out. I want to find out if Whisper ever gets the doomsday device, and if so, does she get to use it!
"He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us"
-Lost

SciFiGuy

Post by SciFiGuy » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:46 pm

skythorn wrote:so ... HOW did the ship countdown get changed?
<snip>
I think Whisper re-programmed the Holographic actors to operate the Holographic interface on the ship's Bridge...
(just a wild guess)

neutral stalker

Post by neutral stalker » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:45 am

you know, its not our place as the viewers to dictate the life of the artist or creator.
ive encountered a similar occurence between other comic artists.
if your fanbase leaves temporarilly, they will return later if they are indeed true fans.
when a comic goes flatline for an extended period of time, theres a chance for readers to examine other aspects of the comic and/or their own ideas, and do their own thing. i mean really, if the comic stops for a while, it stops, and theres no sense whining about it. go outside. read a book or something. write your own comic! then you can appreciate the difficulty in maintaining your own life while having to satisfy needy fans and the like.
For the greater good.

LaughingHan

Post by LaughingHan » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:39 am

The countdown was reset by the feedback loop. That's the definition of a feedback loop, something counts down (or up), something happens, it gets reset.

Is the 38 minutes a Stargate reference?

sherinik

Post by sherinik » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:37 am

Geez, four hours a day travel? And that's presumably when Sydney trains are running...on time...or at all...

Not knowing much about your situation, that jumps out at me as one area where things could be flexible? Either reduced or by making use of that time? Obviously relocating isn't an option or you would have done it already - would one night a week at a friend's or something closer to school help? Equally obviously, you'd have used all the telecommuting options reasonably available...

Bottom line is always do what you need to do for you. But don't forget that includes sufficient downtime for you to keep the axe sharp! The RSS feed will keep us informed if your posting schedule gets erratic.

NefariousDrO

Post by NefariousDrO » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:43 pm

I know that others have said similar things, but I want to add that it sounds like your schedule is awfully full. As much as we love CD and what you're doing with it, this is still just a sideline, not the bread-winner in your life. If it means alot to you and you don't really want to give it up, do what the creators of "Mundane Nirvanna" did, it's on a random-update schedule. We all have ways of finding out if there's an update, so if we really want to keep up we'll manage. The main thing is that you need to take care of yourself, first. I really hope things work out for you, you're a great story-teller, and you do fantastic art for this comic. I'm sure you'll be great at whatever you do.

WarPlayer

Post by WarPlayer » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:13 pm

Well, same as most everyone else. We understand. I sure do hope you can come back to CD from time to time. And I'd really love to see a print version, without having to go to Kinkos and print it myself. That 4 hour commute sounds like a killer. I hope you can find a way to make it productive, reading for classes, or whatever.

Best wishes.

SciFiGuy

Post by SciFiGuy » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:26 pm

You should do a cost analyst - see what you spend on petrol/bus/train fare each month and compare that to renting/sharing a flat MUCH closer to school.

If it's anywhere near the same in cost, move closer to school and get back 1/6th of your life! (4 hours a day/24 hours = 1/6)

DWG

Post by DWG » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:21 am

In the end, you have to devote your time to what needs doing at that moment. CD is ultimately something you can defer even if you (and we) would prefer not to. I think most of us will be willing to wait for it if need be -- I just signed up to the RSS feed in the event updates do become intermittent and would suggest everyone else does if that is what David decides.

Larhanya

Post by Larhanya » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:14 am

Thanks for letting us know what you've decided. Many blessing on your schooling and your health and on life in general. A little furlough from CD might even bring you back to it with freshness and excitement stronger than ever before.

We'll all be here waiting.

p.s.
Mmmmm, concept art...yummy!