Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
connectr

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by connectr » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:22 pm

It is story and character development like this that make this such a great SF web comic. Thank you :D :D

Athaic

Post by Athaic » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:15 am

Eh, how comes? After a page about kinetic weapons in space, and another one whose bottom title was "does this unit has a soul", not a single mention in the comments of the deadliest SOB in space, a.k.a. Isaac Newton, or about windows being structural weaknesses?
Anyway, keep going, David.
A fan from the other side of the Atlantic.

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:05 pm

Athaic wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:15 am
Eh, how comes? After a page about kinetic weapons in space, and another one whose bottom title was "does this unit has a soul", not a single mention in the comments of the deadliest SOB in space, a.k.a. Isaac Newton, or about windows being structural weaknesses?
Anyway, keep going, David.
Windows as structural weakness.. I think this page speaks of itself:
http://www.davidcsimon.com/crimsondark/ ... rip_id=843

on the other hand, future-windows may not be as weak as you think. Even today we are able to produce pretty strong transparent materials. This for example: "New Plastic Is Strong As Steel, Transparent" (https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 143114.htm). Might be a bit like an advertisement, but science is going in that direction and the article is already over 10 years old.

pcovault

Post by pcovault » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:19 am

It's nice to see Vaegyr back in the storyline, he's lots of fun, thanks!

KJ_A

Post by KJ_A » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:58 pm

Is Larissa still the tallest member of the crew? The perspective, Larissa's posture leaning on the door frame and the way Vaegyr is stretching is making it ambiguous as to who is taller in the new art style.

Athaic

Post by Athaic » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:17 am

@ CygnusX1

Sorry, I should explain the joke.
The mention of kinetic weapons in space may come from different sources, but I believe the title David gave in one page - "does this unit has a soul" - is a straight-up quote from a Geth character from the video game Mass Effect 2 (ME2) and repeated in ME3.
(Geth being a 'race' of robots animated by advanced artificial intelligences)
There is a famous scene in ME2 where a drill sergeant is invoking Newton to explain how a kinetic mass driver is going to ruin someone's life, some day, somewhere. His take-home message was that kinetic weapons are to be used cautiously in space.
A Geth character, Legion, is the one who uttered the sentence I quoted about windows.
I was merely placing a few quotes.

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:26 pm

Sorry that I ruined your joke Athaic :(

I didn't catch the ME reference, because both "windows on ship" and "soul of artificial intelligence" are topics touched in many other SF stories.

I did have the pleasure to play the ME trilogy though. The Andromeda still awaits to be finished...

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:23 am

As much as I love seeing Vaegyr again I fell all this went way too smooth...
Apart from the JAK that was taken down in 2 panels, there were no obstacles on the way.

macnut

Post by macnut » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:41 am

One thing that was not clear to me; what ship was Larissa's father and his entourage "banished" to by Larissa? Surely not the Wraith (since they wouldn't want anyone else on that ship due to it having a body there, among other things), and that space they were in looked too big to be a lifepod, though I could be wrong about that.
The MacNut
Writer and Artist of The Vanguard, a space opera superhero webcomic.

Aegis J Hyena

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:51 pm

They dumped them at the mining station itself. I personally would have left them on Wraith. Let's see THEM try to explain Novosi's corpse. On the other hand, Captain Assho... I mean, Larissa's father is a politician and so could make it work in his favor.