Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
Sarone

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by Sarone » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:39 am

CygnusX1 wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:05 am
But which is the right side to take?
Is it those who are in the right, or those who are going to win? Because in the real life this is not always the same. In the long run the truth is usually uncovered (e.g. by historians), but you may be dead long before that if you pick the wrong side.
That is a bull crap question and you know it.

Maybe if you are a Holocaust Denier you would be right, it would take a long time. If you go with the idea of the damn Collectivists who supported tyrants, only for they themselves to be executed due to "knowing too much", you might be right.

Unfortunately, that is something we already know is wrong. Any one who wants to go for elimination of military officers for a "failed coup" during a war has failed. The past has shown how bad of an idea that is and it can be a fervent hope that it would be a lesson learned well into the future.

In addition, I will call BS if Admiral Novosi gets executed for "crimes against the state".

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:36 pm

Wait, wait... I am not a Holocaust Denier nor supporter of tyrany.
I am just saying that apart from few extreme cases that we know from history, the difference from right and wrong are not clear to general population. At least at the time of things happening. Propaganda takes it tall. Thus, it is not a "stupidity beam" as you call it. People may choose the wrong side honestly believing it is the right thing to do. Some may also choose side, or choose to remain relatively neutral, out of fear of repercussions.

Also, you used the term NPCs, suggesting that you are more focused on the quality of story-telling. That's how I read it. In a narrated story the reader often knows where things really stand, but the actual people in that story don't. They may also have their reasons for their choices.

Take war. I oppose war, and probably you oppose it too. Anyone supporting war could be considered as "struck by stupidity beam". But that older lady that Kari had to deal with? She had reasons to hate Cirin people and would probably be happy if there was another (succesful) campaign against them. Or people who were at the Espenson Station at the time of the suicide attack. Or on the other side - people of Farheaven. Or probably a lot of other people on both sides who had their lives painfully affected by the war... There is a lot of hate around, and at a time like that there will be tyrans who try to take advantage of that and use that hatered to their own advandage. Is that "stupidity beam" or bad story-telling?
No. That's how things are.

Ganurath

Post by Ganurath » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:57 pm

Kari: "Great, yet another horrible thing I have experience with I'll have to talk my girlfriend through."

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:11 am

Good ending.
Good luck with your Uni!
We will wait calmly for the chapter 20, no pressure...

NefariousDrO

Post by NefariousDrO » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:19 am

I'm gonna diverge this discussion from the politics to the current filler showing more about the artistic process used to create the Exchange. As someone who also does 3D modeling for Science Fiction works, I find these posts especially fascinating. I'm hoping for a glimpse at how the surface texture for the model was created, making surface textures is one of my favorite parts, so I'm really curious about how David goes about doing it.

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:16 am

I was thinking about textures as well. Do you use, or have you considered using perlin noise, or some other kind of persistent noise to break the symmetry of your textures?
Apart from nice typical noisy textures Perlin can make, you can also use it as a basis to randomly decide what kind of higher-level structure should be present in a given region, e.g. shielded section vs exposed one... or a brown square panel vs a gray one (still square or shape you designed, not following the noise. Just the decision what to place is controlled by it)

pls

Post by pls » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:47 pm

I love the bits about how the 3D art is done. But I'm a bit bothered by the design of the Nargun Exchange.

If the intention is to someday complete the ring, why would you put the ship docks on the inside? It seems like having them face that direction gives traffic control nightmares. Too much contention for a very limited space.

Unless, of course, the docks on the inside are for "small" ships and there are larger ones on the outside of the ring.

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:16 pm

Usually ring-shaped stations are designed that way so that they can spin and create an artificial gravity this way.
When the station is spinning, you want the entry bays to be either on the inside so that ships can "fall" into the bay, or in the very center of the ring, where rotational forces are small and do not mess up the navigation.

Putting the docks on the outside of the rotating ring would be nightmare, because ships would have to constantly burn to sync the rotation with the station.

However, in the CD universe, you do not spin. Gravity is created in a different way, making ring-shaped stations unnecessary. A ball would be optimal - best volume-to-surface ratio. But then it wouldn't be so cool looking I think?

pls

Post by pls » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:06 pm

I wasn't expecting the station to spin. This universe clearly has artificial and controllable gravity. A good thing, too. A ship could not "fall" into a bay one the inside of the ring because the ship would be rotating with the ring. If the ring is rotating, any docking requires the ship to dock while under power and tracking the rotation of the ring. If the bay is on the outside of the ring, then the ship must thrust toward the ring, and the exhaust, if any, is pointed away from the ring. To dock on an inside bay, the ship must thrust away from the ring and the exhaust goes into the docking bay. Depending on the engine technology this might be a problem. In general, closely behind a thrusting ship is not a good place to be.

I suspect that this universe's AIs could handle the problem, although docking would be fuel expensive and impossible for a damaged ship.

But, as I said, I don't expect the ring to be rotating. I was only concerned with concentrating all of the traffic into the confined space inside the ring.

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:12 am

pls wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:06 pm
To dock on an inside bay, the ship must thrust away from the ring and the exhaust goes into the docking bay.
And when you cut the thrust in this scenario, your intertia carries you into the bay. Because you are moving in straight line, while the bay is tilting due to the rotation. That's what I meant by "falling".
Of course, once inside, you would need to realign your movement vector, not to hit the landing too hard.