Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
CygnusX1

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by CygnusX1 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:08 pm

Oh Ren... when stuff is about to explode - just say so! Don't be so cryptic about it!

btw. the timing between the panels is a bit unclear to me.
It seems that each panel is just moments after the previous one, but there must be a bit of time gap if Kari was able to actually exit the ship?

dragonrider33

Post by dragonrider33 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:35 pm

DAMMIT It had to be self destruct, why couldn't it have been an enemy battleship? This is gonna do wonders for Kari and her PTSD/fear of space. Ren is gonna hate herself forever for sending Kari into deaths pathway.
Kill'em All; Let Odin Sort It Out

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:50 am

dragonrider33 wrote:DAMMIT It had to be self destruct, why couldn't it have been an enemy battleship? This is gonna do wonders for Kari and her PTSD/fear of space. Ren is gonna hate herself forever for sending Kari into deaths pathway.
Doing it differently would not necessarily end better. Imagine roles of Ren and Kare were reversed, and Ren would die in the explosion. Kari would had yet another friend dead, maybe even pushing her into suicide.
But this - this is different: Kari has put herself in more danger than her friend.

I am worried however about the next page. I am not sure how far did she actually manage to clear off from the debris before it exploded. There are probably a million tiny ship pieces flying away from the explosion, accelerated to high speeds. Unless something miraculous happens, her odds of survival are minimal.

Anyone watched the Expanse? The beginning of s1e2 comes to mind. I don't think the events of that scene are exaggerated.

dragonrider33

Post by dragonrider33 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:31 am

I am worried however about the next page. I am not sure how far did she actually manage to clear off from the debris before it exploded. There are probably a million tiny ship pieces flying away from the explosion, accelerated to high speeds. Unless something miraculous happens, her odds of survival are minimal.
Don't think that is a problem,killing off Kari effectively ends the story. What I am worried about is wreckage from the Scar damaging their ship.

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:44 am

dragonrider33 wrote:
Don't think that is a problem,killing off Kari effectively ends the story. What I am worried about is wreckage from the Scar damaging their ship.
Of course, the story must continue, so she is invincible. One could say that she is marked by the God of this world.
But realistically... I mean: by the rules of in-story physics - she is in big trouble!

One way it can continue, is that she survives but is heavily injured. Maybe even lose an arm or a leg, to be replaced by cybernetics... something she would hate I am sure...

dragonrider33

Post by dragonrider33 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:36 pm

In real word time she has 60 seconds max before she freezes from loss of life support from the Oxygen leak plus with the remaining Oxygen outgassing at pressure, again in real world, will push that section of face plate out as it is a complete semi circle from seal to seal. in comic book universe she has about two pages and the ship being holed from "flying" debris before she reaches the red line state.

CygnusX1

Post by CygnusX1 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:43 pm

dragonrider33 wrote:In real word time she has 60 seconds max before she freezes from loss of life support from the Oxygen leak plus with the remaining Oxygen outgassing at pressure, again in real world, will push that section of face plate out as it is a complete semi circle from seal to seal. in comic book universe she has about two pages and the ship being holed from "flying" debris before she reaches the red line state.
She has some respiratory augs which might sustain her a bit longer (ch1p3). As for cold? I am not sure how cold is space. I mean, it is one giant thermos - vauccm is one of the best thermal insulation. You loose heat only through radiation, rather than through heat exchange with other material/gas.
That being said - a sudden decompression may be harmful for other reasons.

Here is an interesting estimate (with a lot of assumptions, e.g. a human is a perfect sphere, etc... :P )
http://physics.stackexchange.com/a/67520/126956

They ended up with an estimate of ~18h for a body to lose temperature from 36 down to 0 degrees Celsius. One would die for other reasons much sooner!

Is Ren planning to fly the ship in such a way to "swallow" Kari into the airlock?

dragonrider33

Post by dragonrider33 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:34 am

Is Ren planning to fly the ship in such a way to "swallow" Kari into the airlock?
Looks like the only way she doesn't have time to don EVA and go after her that way. Of course the ideal would have been for Ren to get EVA on when Kari did just in case this happened but woulda, coulda, shoulda doesn't make for cliffhangers like this does..

Departure_Dave

Post by Departure_Dave » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:23 am

Oooh boy, Mass Effect 2 intro scene flashback.

stads

Post by stads » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:06 pm

thats some nice flying there
wonder how bad her injury's are