Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

All discussion related to the Crimson Dark webcomic (at crimsondark.com)
SoulWager

Re: Official "Discuss the latest page" thread

Post by SoulWager » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:02 pm

zeracore wrote:the nuke idea has ben thought of in the past but not as a weapon system but as a propulsion systems

and gravity manipulation is theatrically possible according to current string theory sympathetic frequency oscillation

http://www.wired.com/science/discoverie ... _alphageek now if i can just find and articular about the British Physicist that did a similar experiment
if we can use sound waves mixed with radio and possibly light waves we may be a bull to make a gravity field ether stronger or a new one were there was not one before (at the moment highly theoretical)
current thought is if you have the technology to manipulate gravity you can make psp (Point Singularity Projector) and you wood not only have the best means of propulsion but the best means of both offense and defense
Project orion?

Anyway, we have hard enough time detecting gravity waves, manipulation of gravity is much further off than theory, at this point it's still just hypothesis or fiction.

Knowles2

Post by Knowles2 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:17 pm

So it full scale war then.

I hope you stay sane David, we need you to finish of the story, only after that can you go insane.

Vile

Post by Vile » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:05 am

Pah, who ever needed sanity for good writing? :twisted:

Dhraakellian
Location: Earth, 3 Sol System, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe

Post by Dhraakellian » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:23 am

Vile wrote:Pah, who ever needed sanity for good writing? :twisted:
Indeed, that's crazy talk.
Some pithy statement goes here.

skythorn

Post by skythorn » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:00 am

Yeah, sanity notwithstanding, all 3 of us mad fans deserve an answer to the current hanging plotline. I expect David to keep his job, go insane with work hours, and still cater to our data-fanbase whine of Whims to be met.

charles

Post by charles » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:40 pm

Dhraakellian wrote:
Dhraakellian wrote:
I have no idea how the following ended up in my post. Someone else wrote:I don't want to imagine how much energy and how effecient the transfer of it to the velocity would have to be to get a projectile going that fast.

Honestly I like to think plain and brutal. Build a huge, long cannon like the old style ship guns, get a nuke with a cannon ball on one end and shove it down the barrel, nuke first. Boom goes the nuke and woosh goes the cannon ball as fast as that nuke can blast it out that barrel... I wonder if a focused nuke blast alone would have much affect in space...

Probably need some insanely thick and strong barrel... Wouldn't like to know what the recoil would be like for the ship that fires it... maybe very small nukes rather than the full city or state wide killers.
First, I have absolutely no memory of writing this and, thus the editing of it into quote tags.

Second, if I'm going to use nukes in my weapon systems, I think I'd rather use them directly in the warheads rather than projectile launchers. I somehow doubt that nuclear explosion-launched projectiles are the most efficient way of doing things, and I'd prefer to have that hard radiation be released as far away from me as possible.
*LOL* my fault sorry. I've got admin permissions and must have accidentally hit "EDIT" against your post instead of "QUOTE"

The reason to use the nukes for propulsion as opposed to warheads is to get speed in your projectile. A nuke in a warhead usually means some kind of missile, torpedo or slower moving projectile that could potentially be shot down before it hits the target (as seems to still happen in Crimson Dark with poin-defence). So while a nuke should certainly cause more damage at the target, a nuke propelled projectile should have a better chance at zipping right through the defences and striking the target with considerable velocity and force, depending on the size. You'd likely use the smaller type nukes (I think they get as small as 10-15 kilotonnes today) for blasting the projectile and have some seriously sturdy gun barrel for withstanding the blast, particularly at the base.

Again, however, recoil would likely be a considerable problem for any ship which fires such a weapon. You'd probably need to use a barrel thats open at both ends and make sure an ally isn't tailing you.
Please visit, read and update the CRIMSON DARK WIKI
SPAMMER Pelts: 83

DewiMorgan

Post by DewiMorgan » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:54 am

Welcome to Austin :) Moved here recently myself. It seems a really nice place, full of really nice people - I hope your experience is the same.
Hope your new work is a whole ton of fun, too!

Curious at this possible new direction for the strip - we could end up with two story threads, one of pilot school and one of our noble gang of pirates.

Knowles2

Post by Knowles2 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:27 am

DewiMorgan wrote:Welcome to Austin :) Moved here recently myself. It seems a really nice place, full of really nice people - I hope your experience is the same.
Hope your new work is a whole ton of fun, too!

Curious at this possible new direction for the strip - we could end up with two story threads, one of pilot school and one of our noble gang of pirates.

Privateers, you know there is a difference, just about any way, one works with a wink and nudge from a government and one does not. ;)

charles

Post by charles » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:56 am

I could easily see Kari taking the job. She's not the best of gunners and I'm not sure the Niobids were permitted to keep her fighter. This may be a nice wrap-up to the story which started with Kari but focused on the Niobids as a whole crew. She simply wishes to fly from memory so the chance to fly fighters in the relatively peaceful scenario of training could appeal to her... Then again she was fairly well in a peaceful scenario of flying fighters previously and handed in her resignation just before the war started... I'll have to log into the members area and check out her reasoning behind that again to see if it applies here.

The only person we know that they could get for a gunner would be Hal, but I seriously doubt they would ever hire him back as they'd likely loose Sarah. He may have left them but considering their aquirement of the Scarborough, the battle they just survived and the money earned it wouldn't surprise me if Hal considered them a much better prospect than when they were without ship and captured by enemy. If not for his attitude I still regard him as the best crew member for capability considering his superior skills across engineering, ship gunnery, combat arms and close combat fighting.

Beyond Hal there could be someone from a destroyed Cirin or Merc ship. I wouldn't imagine anyone from Katherine's Glance would be acceptable, if someone did make it to an escape pod, considering their poor gunnery towards the Niobe.
Please visit, read and update the CRIMSON DARK WIKI
SPAMMER Pelts: 83

Fen

Post by Fen » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:36 pm

skythorn wrote:Yeah, sanity notwithstanding, all 3 of us mad fans deserve an answer to the current hanging plotline. I expect David to keep his job, go insane with work hours, and still cater to our data-fanbase whine of Whims to be met.
Only 3 of us are mad? ;-)
Dhraakellian wrote:
Vile wrote:Pah, who ever needed sanity for good writing? :twisted:
Indeed, that's crazy talk.
Sanity is sooooo overrated!

@David: I'm glad you're trip went well :) I hope you enjoyed your first day in your new job and the many more to come!
(Even though I will miss CD loads and will be hoping for a reappearance as soon as you can!)

~Fen